XP Deus For Beach Hunting?

3 hours ago, MontAmmie said:

Yeah, I'm waiting for Sept 16 too.  Should be interesting.  At the very least, maybe it'll make the used CTX's get a little more reasonable!

Funny I was going to say something like that. One of mine might be on the market soon. Good luck out there!

strick

• Like 1

On 8/27/2017 at 8:02 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I do that sort of stuff all the time and sure would enjoy hearing your report. :smile:

The test patch will have to wait.  Sadly, my 5 week old mono coil decided to go bonkers on me today.  Happily, I called Garrett and they are sending out a replacement right away! :biggrin:  I don't want to compare a mono on the DFX to a DD on the Infinium.  Hey, we gotta be just a little bit fair to the old geezer and give it a chance!

22 hours ago, strick said:

Funny I was going to say something like that. One of mine might be on the market soon. Good luck out there!

strick

Please let me know when/if you decide to get rid of it!

• Like 1

Deus performance in the wet sand at Daytona beach, FL, was poor for me. 

I compared the V3i, Sovereign GT, and Deus there earlier this year, and in the dry sand it did reasonably well but still got smoked by the two multi-frequency machines. In the end I found the Sov king of depth and stability anywhere at the surf/shoreline but chose the V3i in the wet to dry sand only because I have a 15x12 SEF coil providing better coverage than the stock 10" Tornado on the Minelab.

If I were to chose only one of these for the beach, Sovereign GT, hands down.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Deft Tones said:

Deus performance in the wet sand at Daytona beach, FL, was poor for me. 

I compared the V3i, Sovereign GT, and Deus there earlier this year, and in the dry sand it did reasonably well but still got smoked by the two multi-frequency machines. In the end I found the Sov king of depth and stability anywhere at the surf/shoreline but chose the V3i in the wet to dry sand only because I have a 15x12 SEF coil providing better coverage than the stock 10" Tornado on the Minelab.

If I were to chose only one of these for the beach, Sovereign GT, hands down.

You know, Deft, I've been looking at those old Sovereigns on Ebay.  The Infinium finds stuff in the wet sand and surf, but the bottle caps drive me nuts in the dry.  And there doesn't seem to be that much here to find in the water.  It seems that either people don't swim here alot because of our rough surf, or our fluffy sand sucks it right down halfway to China as soon as its dropped.  Maybe a little of both.  The DFX is great in the dry, but in the wet sand-not so much. And it's heavy.  I like to ride my bike to the beach, so I need a really good lightweight detector that will do both wet and dry sand. Waterproof is not a must-have.  Just one question.  Can you tell it's a bottle cap with your Sovereign?  If I can weed those things out with one like I do with the DFX I'll start shopping for one.  There are guys that live here who swear by them and won't use anything else.  Thanks!

Yes, you can definately hear the difference in bottle caps... kind of a drawn out boing sound - "booooiing".

Great information in the audio. It has tones that are alive with timbre.

I bought mine new about 10 months ago based upon the reputation for a dedicated salt unit when we're on vacations. Like you I didn't require waterproof as a feature, but it can easily be made weatherproof. I've found it to be an excellent all around unit for relics in farmsteads, coins and jewelry in parks, as well as salt beaches. 

It's rare to dig any iron with the Sov in discrimination mode as its iron discrimination is first class, so steel crown caps are easily identified after digging a few. Most aluminum has an unusual yet different timbre to the tone as well. My first park with it I found a gold ring after digging something like 20 back to back ring pulls and deciding to stop digging those tones, but the next tone was the same pitch without the same timbre, it sounded cleaner, somehow better, and I was shocked to hit a gold band. I still have the ring and the last dug ring pull for study. They VDI (on my other units) and make very similar tones but I swear I hear a difference , YMMV. You can see that difference analyzing sound via laptop.

It is an impressive unit. I can see why guys won't part with them. I won't. :smile:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Deft Tones said:

I bought mine new about 10 months ago based upon the reputation for a dedicated salt unit when we're on vacations

Where on earth did you find a new one for sale and do they have another one???!!!  :biggrin:  I thought Minelab discontinued them years ago?

Discontinued like 7 years ago, I think.

I don't care to purchase used electronics, generally, so I never thought I'd own a legendary discontinued unit.

Then I found a new unit on Ebay and pounced... with my fingers crossed. I wasn't even looking for a Sovereign, was looking at Tesoros...lol. It was listed in an odd catagory but was actually a suggestion I saw from Ebay. Just luck, really, but I paid the full original retail price to have it because I was like, "Sovereign GT new in box? Pshhht....buy it NOW"!  A too good to be true impulse buy, more or less.

I suffered buyers remorse until I hunted with it a few days. It is the only machine I baby in use. I'm happy with mine.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

My Sovereign GT is the one I won't part with. My Deus with the HF coils is awesome on our SoCal beaches wet or dry, is lightweight and is as good as the GT at finding targets.

• Like 2