New Patch Gives Gold X 2

9 hours ago, tvanwho said:

I always heard it was easy pickings after Florida storms? Maybe thats just an old wives tale thing?

I've lived here in Indian Harbour Beach for 4 years and have been metal detecting the beaches off and on for most of that time.  I've never seen "easy pickings" here, maybe Swamp has. Maybe at some of those "touristy" beaches south of here? IMHO, our biggest problem is all that new sand they dump on the beaches every year or so, just like clockwork.  Every time the storms come and some sand leaves and detecting starts getting a little better, HERE they come with those dump trucks and ruin it! 

With that said, I did find my first diamond ring last week, and probably due to the hurricane erosion, but I had to work for it.  We're talking waiting two weeks for the high surf to calm down a bit so I could finally get in a cut just off the beach (upper beach is still sanded in), and still getting slammed around pretty good and fighting a rip current.  The ring was at least 6-8 inches down, and since I was using a PI machine I had to dig at least 25-30 pieces of trash first.  It might have been easier with a VLF machine, but the heavies were deep, so I don't think my DFX would have gotten it, even if it was waterproof.

I love beach hunting, mostly because I love the beach and it's a great workout.  But honestly, I found more good "stuff" in the dirt in Tennessee.

Good Hunting Everyone!

Sherry

PS. Photo is sunrise, Canova Beach yesterday.

20170928_071751.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tvanwho said:

I always heard it was easy pickings after Florida storms? Maybe thats just an old wives tale thing?

Following Ammie's lead-in:

The closest I've ever come to "easy pickings" in my local FL beach area are fresh drops / spills where you'd figure them to happen and the occasional older spill in an oddball spot nearer the dunes where most likely a larger group of folks set up back behind the towel lines for everyone's convenience.. These are almost always loose change; very very rarely jewelry or OMG treasure!, which is what we're really after..

Detecting following storms is akin to opening a new business: It's all about location, location location.. If you're not in a spot with a nice decent fresh cut or an area developing good run-outs it will seem status quo because there's no place for the shook up goodies to concentrate.. Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach are low probability for either taking place except sometimes following a multi-day nor'easter, but even then they aren't of much value when the beach is in its normal replenished condition.. (It would be interesting to see what might show up given this current eroding though..)

The churning, exposure and movement caused by a storm is only half the formula.. Without gathering points the only thing that's maybe changed is modern items may not be where normally expected and no closer together than the law of randomness espouses, a net negative for the detectorist..

The "touristy beaches" to the south of Ammie have been known to develop both cuts and run-outs, but unless you live right there to do visuals the run-outs can be here today, gone tomorrow.. Cuts can be there a while depending on surf conditions and how far back from the tide line they formed.. Even though they'll get pecked at pretty quickly doesn't mean everything's found right away.. Cuts tend to hold on to goodies a lot longer than the run-outs..

The Treasure Coast beaches the next county south hold a whole different set of possibilities however.. I haven't gotten there yet, mainly because I'm quite certain the extremely limited parking anywhere near where I'd like to get to remain un-opened..

Swamp

NOTE: Reference encompasses these two stretches of FL Atlantic coastline only.. Possible conditions can change rapidly within a short distance.. Conditions are quite different from SC, NC and NE beaches as well.. USA west coast beaches may as well be on a different planet, ones I wouldn't mind walking along for a while..

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tvanwho said:

What do you mean by beach cuts and such? <snip>

Here's a link to a vid from a guy I consider Mr. Positive Attitude when it comes to central FL beach detecting. I was looking for his original vid that shows the dozens, heck, hundreds of rings he's found, but it seems to have been taken down.. As it turns out though, this one contains much more information re the type you ask about.. I realize the title says Treasure Coast, but he actually does the majority of his detecting 'around' the "touristy areas" Ammie mentioned -- just far enough south of her to make for a realll long bicycle ride..

In one of his other vids, pay no attention to his swing -- it's due to arm surgeries.. But as they say: It's really hard to argue with success.. 

Swamp

EDIT: Looks like what started out as a link eventually embedded..

• Like 1