Sign in to follow this  
Deft Tones

New Patch Gives Gold X 2

9 hours ago, tvanwho said:

I always heard it was easy pickings after Florida storms? Maybe thats just an old wives tale thing?

I've lived here in Indian Harbour Beach for 4 years and have been metal detecting the beaches off and on for most of that time.  I've never seen "easy pickings" here, maybe Swamp has. Maybe at some of those "touristy" beaches south of here? IMHO, our biggest problem is all that new sand they dump on the beaches every year or so, just like clockwork.  Every time the storms come and some sand leaves and detecting starts getting a little better, HERE they come with those dump trucks and ruin it! 

With that said, I did find my first diamond ring last week, and probably due to the hurricane erosion, but I had to work for it.  We're talking waiting two weeks for the high surf to calm down a bit so I could finally get in a cut just off the beach (upper beach is still sanded in), and still getting slammed around pretty good and fighting a rip current.  The ring was at least 6-8 inches down, and since I was using a PI machine I had to dig at least 25-30 pieces of trash first.  It might have been easier with a VLF machine, but the heavies were deep, so I don't think my DFX would have gotten it, even if it was waterproof.

I love beach hunting, mostly because I love the beach and it's a great workout.  But honestly, I found more good "stuff" in the dirt in Tennessee.

Good Hunting Everyone!

Sherry

PS. Photo is sunrise, Canova Beach yesterday.

20170928_071751.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tvanwho said:

I always heard it was easy pickings after Florida storms? Maybe thats just an old wives tale thing?

Following Ammie's lead-in:

The closest I've ever come to "easy pickings" in my local FL beach area are fresh drops / spills where you'd figure them to happen and the occasional older spill in an oddball spot nearer the dunes where most likely a larger group of folks set up back behind the towel lines for everyone's convenience.. These are almost always loose change; very very rarely jewelry or OMG treasure!, which is what we're really after..

Detecting following storms is akin to opening a new business: It's all about location, location location.. If you're not in a spot with a nice decent fresh cut or an area developing good run-outs it will seem status quo because there's no place for the shook up goodies to concentrate.. Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach are low probability for either taking place except sometimes following a multi-day nor'easter, but even then they aren't of much value when the beach is in its normal replenished condition.. (It would be interesting to see what might show up given this current eroding though..)

The churning, exposure and movement caused by a storm is only half the formula.. Without gathering points the only thing that's maybe changed is modern items may not be where normally expected and no closer together than the law of randomness espouses, a net negative for the detectorist..

The "touristy beaches" to the south of Ammie have been known to develop both cuts and run-outs, but unless you live right there to do visuals the run-outs can be here today, gone tomorrow.. Cuts can be there a while depending on surf conditions and how far back from the tide line they formed.. Even though they'll get pecked at pretty quickly doesn't mean everything's found right away.. Cuts tend to hold on to goodies a lot longer than the run-outs..

The Treasure Coast beaches the next county south hold a whole different set of possibilities however.. I haven't gotten there yet, mainly because I'm quite certain the extremely limited parking anywhere near where I'd like to get to remain un-opened..

Swamp

NOTE: Reference encompasses these two stretches of FL Atlantic coastline only.. Possible conditions can change rapidly within a short distance.. Conditions are quite different from SC, NC and NE beaches as well.. USA west coast beaches may as well be on a different planet, ones I wouldn't mind walking along for a while..

• Like 2

What do you mean by beach cuts and such? Got any photos? I used to detect at Chicagos Lake Michigan beaches until parking fees went up to like $ 16 an hour and that was it for me...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tvanwho said:

What do you mean by beach cuts and such? <snip>

Here's a link to a vid from a guy I consider Mr. Positive Attitude when it comes to central FL beach detecting. I was looking for his original vid that shows the dozens, heck, hundreds of rings he's found, but it seems to have been taken down.. As it turns out though, this one contains much more information re the type you ask about.. I realize the title says Treasure Coast, but he actually does the majority of his detecting 'around' the "touristy areas" Ammie mentioned -- just far enough south of her to make for a realll long bicycle ride..

In one of his other vids, pay no attention to his swing -- it's due to arm surgeries.. But as they say: It's really hard to argue with success.. 

Swamp

EDIT: Looks like what started out as a link eventually embedded..

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Jackpine
      for finding the class ring but this mornings hunt produced this ticket in the first 1/2 hour.  8.9 grams marked au585

😎
    • By JP.Diggzzit
      My parents recently visited so I took my Dad out to the beach the day after Father's day.  Keep in mind, he is a complete novice and usually only detects with me.  Beaches have been sanded in, so I told him not to expect much.  I was swinging the CTX 3030 with the 17" coil and he took the Equinox 600.  After a quick initial setup, he was on his way to finding this...14k gold bangle bracelet, almost 25 grams!  I was about a 1/2 mile down the beach so I didn't see the recovery.  He said it was "loud" and about 6 or 7 scoops down (big stealth scoop).  It was in the wet sand and waves kept on filling in his hole.  It rings 13 on the Equinox 600 and 12:13 on the CTX.  My wife usually has 1st dibs on all jewelry, but my Mom got this one.  I have found beach 2 works best (more stable) for my local beaches, auto GB 0, Recovery 2 or 3 (depending on target concentration), iron bias 1, full tones, sens 21 or 22, no discrimination most of the time.  The Equinox 600 out shined the CTX on this day as I only found about $2 in change.  Looking forward to the 15" coil for big low tides and the 800 with 6" coil may also be in my future for heavier trash sites (on occasion).

• By Jackpine
      My first class ring of the year.  I contacted a Nephew that happens to teach at the school and we will get it returned to one happy (and lucky) young lady.

• By Nuke em
      Last night after work i went to the beach with my ET for low tide , i got there at 9.20pm . Low tide was around midnight so i had some time to search down to low tide . I also searched the tops , for a while i found very little . There were quite a few people on the beach still after dark but i found some coinage . low down on the beach i had a 12  46 and found another Silver ring , probably a toe ring ? After that i did the tops but coinage was rare again . But in the dark i shone on an area of rubbish and saw a £10 note so that doubled my finds at the time.
      After finished that beach i went onto another beach next and found little but then on the tops i found a watch , doesn't fit my wrist or Mum's so will see if it fits my Nieces .
      I left the beach at 11.45pm as i was to tired to carry on and it was very warm and muggy , I was betting my swollocks off . I could almost wish for a storm to cool things off .
      I will be back there later today at 5pm in 2 hours time . Tide will be high so i will work it out again and hope for yellow. 
      My finds yesterday were £25.73p , the ring and the watch .

• By Steve Herschbach
      Over the years, the XP DEUS has continued to evolve, especially with the FREE software updates allowing the user to benefit from our advancing technology without the need to buy a new machine.
      XP have been regularly introducing new accessories, such as the MI-6 pin pointer which connects directly to the DEUS, let’s not forget the super light and incredibly stable new HF coils which have taken the Deus to a new level.
      This month XP are pleased to announce the upcoming release of 3 new search coils for the DEUS accompanied by a new FREE version 5 update which will also be available soon.
      The new update allows you to accept and use the new X35 search coils and all their features listed above without the need to buy a completely new detector! Also the version 5 update includes some new features to the WS4 and WS5 wireless headphones, now they have become even more versatile!

WS4 / WS5 new features:
      Reactivity TX Power Automatic Ground Tracking Frequency offset (35 frequencies with the new X35) Iron volume Audio Response These new version 5 settings are active even if you do not have a new X35 coil. A nice gift for all DEUS owners who just use the headphones!
      Source: http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/blog-detection/en/update-deus/new-x35-coils-and-deus-v5-update/
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Over the years, the XP DEUS has continued to evolve, especially with the FREE software updates allowing the user to benefit from our advancing technology without the need to buy a new machine.
      XP have been regularly introducing new accessories, such as the MI-6 pin pointer which connects directly to the DEUS, let’s not forget the super light and incredibly stable new HF coils which have taken the Deus to a new level.
      This month XP are pleased to announce the upcoming release of 3 new search coils for the DEUS accompanied by a new FREE version 5 update which will also be available soon.

New XP DEUS X35 search coils
      The X35 search coils:
      Designed around brand new electronic advances, these new high performance and versatile coils will allow you to choose from a wide range of frequencies ranging from 3.7kHz to 27.7kHz. In total there are 35 available frequencies, based around 5 main frequencies that are quickly accessible.
      A new Boost mode is now an option on frequencies 3.7Khz to 4.4 kHz  and can significantly increase detection depth on highly conductive targets, such as large masses and large Silver coins. For added performance on such targets we recommend the larger coils such as the 34/28 cm (13” x11”) or the 28cm (11”) round coil. These new coils will be available as options at the same prices as the previous coils from the end of July 2018, and they will be supplied as standard with the DEUS from September 2018.
      X35 coil main characteristics: 
      Total of 35 frequencies – 5 main frequencies with 7 wide offsets 3.7 to 4.4kHz, 7.1 to 8.4kHz, 10.5 to 12.4kHz, 15.2 to 17.8kHz, 23.5 to 27.7kHz Selectable frequency offset without loss of performance. TX power adjustment is available on all frequencies and offsets Special Low frequency TX Boost feature: Normal or Boost option – The transmitted power has 2 selectable levels when using frequencies 3.7Khz to 4.4kHz. The BOOST mode significantly increases the transmission power of the transmitting coil, allowing greater detection levels if the soil conditions allow. TX boost is a special mode, the battery life of the coil may be reduced down to 6 hours. The overall battery life of the x35 coil has improved on most frequencies by +10% to +40% High frequencies 23- 27.7kHz – Excellent sensitivity to low conductive targets and small targets. Better overall stability The X35 coils are available in 22cm (9”), 28cm (11”) and 34 / 28cm (13” x11”) and will work with the DEUS in version 5. Source: http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/blog-detection/en/update-deus/new-x35-coils-and-deus-v5-update/