Detech Coil For Dfx?

MontAmmie

I've decided to keep using the DFX on the dry sand, but I need a bigger coil.  I'll have to be faster (competition X 3) when Irma scrapes about 3 ft of sand off Cocoa Beach next weekend. (We are hoping that Cocoa Beach will still be there to hunt).  Since Steve won't let me have his Bigfoot, I'm looking at Detechs. :biggrin:   Whites has the Detech SEF 12 x 10 on sale.  Anyone have any experience with it?  I read some reviews that say it reads bottle caps like pennies.  Horrors, we cannot have that!  Sometimes a penny turns out to be a men's gold ring.  If it is so dumb that it can't tell a penny from a bottlecap then I will stick with the stock coil.

Thanks, Ya'll!

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The 12 x 10 Detech came out when the DFX was fading from the scene but I know it is very well thought of by V3i users and others.

Thanks, Steve.  It should be able to weed out a bottle cap.  That's really my only caveat as our beaches are loaded with them.

The Detech 14x10 Excelerator EQ2 coil adds 2 to 3 inches on a US quarter and it is roughly within a couple of grams +/- of the factory D2 coil and on larger Items it has massive depth and it can see bits of lead weighing only 0.02 grams,  this has become my go to coil because of the extra depth but most of all because it has better balance than the D2 coil, you can buy them new for around $110-$130 ish Dollars.

hope this helps.

John.

• Like 1

I have the 15x12 sef coil. I bought it to use as a bigfoot coil when jewelry hunting sports fields. Very sensitive deep coil that separates very well in the trash, imo. I'll run it RX 2 TX 92 and have done well with earrings at surprising depths for the size coil. Used it at Daytona beach with no issues...worked really good actually. More coverage and more depth - faster!

I've never had mine read a bottlecap as a penny from what I recall, but being a DD type coil, it does like them, and sounds off good on some brands... Corona, Bud Light, Mike's to name a few. Not hard on the V3i to determine what's up with those - if I take more time analyzing them. I don't have any experience with a DFX and how it handles the bottlecaps. But give me a concentric and I'll wade right among them with very little problem except masking.

That coil gets heavy fast without a sling, which I do use for that coil. You may want to plan for that expense with the purchase of a large coil.

If I were to guess, the size you are looking at and the 8x6 are the most popular sizes they sell for Whites machines.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2017 at 1:57 PM, Deft Tones said:

That coil gets heavy fast without a sling, which I do use for that coil. You may want to plan for that expense with the purchase of a large coil.

If I were to guess, the size you are looking at and the 8x6 are the most popular sizes they sell for Whites machines.

Hey Deft.  Well, we packed it up and left Friday.  Traffic on Interstate 10 was a nightmare.  It took us over 14 hours from Melbourne to just over the Alabama line.  So here we sit in a Podunk, AL campground waiting to go home.  Bleh.  :dry:

I looked at the 15 x 12, and I'm sure it would cover some ground, but I'd probably be better off with the 12 x 10.  From the specs, it looks like it only weighs about 8 oz more than the 9.5  I don't like using a sling because I switch swinging arms with the DFX about every hour.  I'm an old biddy of 53, you know!

On 9/5/2017 at 11:20 PM, auminesweeper said:

The Detech 14x10 Excelerator EQ2 coil adds 2 to 3 inches on a US quarter and it is roughly within a couple of grams +/- of the factory D2 coil and on larger Items it has massive depth and it can see bits of lead weighing only 0.02 grams,  this has become my go to coil because of the extra depth but most of all because it has better balance than the D2 coil, you can buy them new for around $110-$130 ish Dollars.

hope this helps.

John.

Hi John.  I'm going to go look at the 10 x 14.  Thanks!

Check out this link - all gold found by my friend Marko with a V3i and 12" x 10" S.E.F. coil. Marko swore by that coil, and I have never heard of anyone ever doing better finding gold nuggets with the V3i. I was there that trip and he was on a tear finding gold.

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/find/v3i-and-ganes-creek-gold/

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Check out this link - all gold found by my friend Marko with a V3i and 12" x 10" S.E.F. coil. Marko swore by that coil, and I have never heard of anyone ever doing better finding gold nuggets with the V3i. I was there that trip and he was on a tear finding gold.

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/find/v3i-and-ganes-creek-gold/

Wow.  I wish Montana didn't have such hot dirt.  I'd try the DFX again.

Well those SEF coils do tame the dirt give most detector more depth so maybe you should seriously give the 12x10 a good work out, From a performance point of view Whites Coils are extremely hot but that can work against you, this is where the SEF coils come in to their own because the have a little less sensitivity but in a good way that they allow you to run the Gain higher which re-increases the sensitivity which in turn adds more depth, But because the coils them selves are not too hot they resist ground noise a bit better than the factory coils.

I prefer Whites factory coils but in Hot dirt Detech SEF coils are the way to go,

hope that helps,

John. 

• Like 1