Coil Cables - Internally Routed Or Externally Wrapped?

Just curious. Excepting the Deus, which has no coil cable, what are people's thoughts on cable routing? There is the original "wrap around the rod" method. There are also a few detectors that route the cable up the shaft like the Minelab Explorer/E-TRAC/CTX series, the GPZ, Garrett ATX, and Nokta Impact.

I am especially interested to hear what people who have used both systems think - pros and cons. I have a few thoughts but don't want to bias the responses so will weigh in later.

nokta-impact-3-frequency-metal-detector.jpg

Steve

I've had the best of both worlds but I do like the internally run cable the most. Now if they being Minelab would make it where I could hookup a after market coil that would make it outstanding.

I've yet to get a call from anyone on what I like until your post.

Chuck

PS That's why I like this forum so much is you make it so interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only MDs I`ve had with internal routing of the cable are the Z, CTX and the SDC and to me that beats "wrap around". Rest have all had cables "rap around the rod" with the Deus as you point out Steve has "maybe" the ultimate cable solution......no cable. I think in the recent thread about the Monsters touch sensitivity, the main advantage of internal routing has been illustrated very well. Eastwest got this across to me when he pointed out the Monster is the first MD he has had without internal routing. 

So yeah for me I`ll go for internal routing the pro being that touch sensitivity issue has been eliminated but there is one con, placing and connecting this internal cable can be fiddly and there is a trap if you do not use care you can end up damaging the cable end where it screws onto the electronic box. Also I suspect the engineering and process required to allow this internal cabling has added extra cost to the MD, but that to me is money well spent.

• Haha 1

As far as the GB 2, I run the wire straight up the shaft and create a 3" coil near the connection and zip tie it to the shaft there. I don't like the "wrap the shaft".

As far as the ATX internal wire, it's ok but I read about wires fraying?

Would prefer no wire.....  With the technology today why doesn't every detector have it?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LipCa said:

As far as the GB 2, I run the wire straight up the shaft and create a 3" coil near the connection and zip tie it to the shaft there. I don't like the "wrap the shaft".

It's still external to the rod. When I said wrap I simply meant it as an explanation/clarification of "external". How it is wrapped or routed externally is another issue. Like you, all my cables go straight up with excess at the top bear control box.

I'm definitely a fan of the internal method..  The CTX system works great.  I sold the CTX after running an E-Trac which I now prefer for coin hunting but the internal cable system doesn't work quite as well as the CTX.. It dosent shorten up as good as the CTX. Still much better then the external wrap though.  

Bryan