The Wonders Of A Acid Clean

10 hours ago, goldseeker4000 said:

I have been using this jug of acid for 3 years now and to this day when I take the cap off, Smokey fumes will rise out of the jug.

You got some powerful stuff.  Careful not to take a deep breath.  :laugh:  Seriously, in an academic or industrial lab you would be required to use this stuff under a fume hood.  But how many of us could afford that?  I assume you do this outside....  I can see from your results that this is a good solution (double meaning??).  I know some use that 1% hydrofluoric that can be bought at hardware stores (forget the brand name) and apparently such a dilute solution is safe, but HF is one of the most dangerous chemicals known, so anything more concentrated than that 1% and I'd rather have the nugget still looking ugly.

11 hours ago, goldseeker4000 said:

Gb_amateur, as you can see from the photograph of my jug of muriatic acid it says right below the word muriatic  45% hydrochloric acid.

You mean Wikipedia is wrong???!!!  :smile:  The devil is in the details.  The Wikipedia article is referring to the concentration of of anhydrous HCl which can be disolved in water, making the ('aqueous') solution.  It appears from your label (the fine print) that the HCl concentration is 31.45%.  I think the 45% refers to further dilution in their manufacturing/bottling process.  Confusing labeling, IMO.  Bottom line is that it's still powerful (and dangerous) and works well.  Good tip.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:48 PM, goldseeker4000 said:

Gb_amateur, as you can see from the photograph of my jug of muriatic acid it says right below the word muriatic  45% hydrochloric acid.

20180417_203801.jpg

Glad I stumbled onto this as I was very curious about how Muriatic acid would work on cleaning nuggets?  I have used it before several times at a place I used to work so I'm very aware of how powerful it is......  Thanks for this post!!!!!

• 1 year later...

perhaps this gets noted /corrected further in the thread and if so im sorry..and it may seem petty to correct so late in the game..but that jug of acid actually reads "31.45%"  on the acid content..only noting this as the affect can actually be dramatic between 31% and 45% and the latter will do wonders if changed every 3 days or so for about two weeks.