Dig And Re-dig For Meteorites

I went out for a couple of days to Gold Basin seeking gold.  It was not to be so when in Gold Basin you seek out some meteorites.  This trip it was difficult.  Nothing until the final couple of hours on Saturday night.

All of my previous locations didn't produce this trip so I went to nearby locations.  The larger 37g meteorite was found in an area without many dig holes.  It is hard to find a location in Gold Basin without any did holes!

After moving on from that location I went to an area where I could see some very old dig holes.  They were deep and big and not filled but weathered down.  It was time to slow down.  I checked around the dig holes and voila ... a hit about 8 inches from a previous dig.   Time to scrape and dig and there is a stick to rock on the magnet.  (Was it part of the previous dig hole and meteorite?)

Don't leave your hole in Gold Basin.  Check it again.  When this was done there was still a target.  Upon recovery it was a broken off piece of the meteorite that was dug.  They fit.

Total meteorite weight is 54g.

IMG_20170911_211833.jpg

IMG_20170911_212701.jpg

• Like 7