New White's Detector On The Way?

For years I've wanted a good PI machine "TDI", but with a fair amount of true, actual, working discrimination without loosing depth.  So many say it will never happen or rather they just don't know. 

I've watched the release of the new multi frequency machines like the Dues, Alter71, the GoldMask 5+, the  Impact, and now the pre-release show of the Equinox and my personal thought is, "those are nice, but I already have a V3."    At one time I was hot and heavy for the Alter 71 but again, after I completed my review,  the V3 stood out as better.   The V3 is just a hard to detector to top once you get your mind wrapped around it.   

Personally I would like to see Whites spend more time on the multi-frequency correlate mode.   You could do a wider range of selective frequency like the Impact/Equinox,Alter71, Dues,  but allow the user to pick the combination to correlate.  Create a screen specifically for correlate mode, something like a bulls eye plot or something....something to make it easier to dial correlate in, and to see how signals are reporting in reference to correlated settings.   Add the ability to give correlated responses a different tone, or tone id based upon the bulls eye plot.  Maybe tone id by plot rings.  I dunno.    Wouldn't mind a larger frequency offset range for tuning it either.  Anyway. Theres a lot I'd like to see developed around that mode of operation.

Wish I had the money to licences the V3 correlate mode from Whites and develop my own set of detectors based around it.   They'd be sweet detectors for the jewelry hunter I kid you not, and wouldn't be bad at other stuff either.

Other than that I want coils.   A 7" concentric and a 18" x 4" cleansweep coil for my V3.  

Got me dreaming now.   Maybe I need to buy lottery tickets every now and then.

HH
Mike

• Like 1

Whites already make a 6" Concentric so a 7" would not add much,

No matter what machines hit the streets people are never happy, The V3i and the MXT etc can all go very deep when matched with the right coils, The depth question is never far away but weight and waterproofness seems to be what people crave, personally I hate detecting in the rain, everything gets covered including me,

Not being happy with what we got is what keeps the push on detector companies to come out with something better. If a car company could make the same looking car every year they would do it. The thing they know if they don't make a change each year then why would we want to buy the same year after year.

We know a detector company can't come out with something every year. The detector is not just on what's on the outside but what's under the hood too.

Chuck

1 hour ago, Mike Hillis said:

Personally I would like to see Whites spend more time on the multi-frequency correlate mode.   You could do a wider range of selective frequency like the Impact/Equinox,Alter71, Dues,  but allow the user to pick the combination to correlate.  Create a screen specifically for correlate mode, something like a bulls eye plot or something....something to make it easier to dial correlate in, and to see how signals are reporting in reference to correlated settings.   HH
Mike

The V3i already has a fully adjustable correlate mode unlike the lite version in the V3.......

Whites already make a 6" Concentric so a 7" would not add much,

No, Whites makes a 5" coil (they call it 5.3) placed inside a big 6+ inch flying saucer shell.    I hate that coil.  The shell says 6" coil, while in truth its a 5" coil and you have to place extra concentration on it to make sure your swinging it like a 5" coil.    So yes, a 7" coil would give you quite a lot over the 5" coil, and there wouldn't be such a gap between the 950 and the next size down.    The 7" coils sizes are really nice.  Easy to swing and get good separation and depth.  Fisher's little 7" coil and Tesoro's little 7" coil are both a nice size.  Its unfortunate all the external coil mfgs just copy each others coil sizes and don't offer anything unique.

Regards the correlate mode...the V3 and V3i have the same correlate modes.   It only offers two types of correlation and you don't get to pick it.  It correlates 2.5 kHz to 7.5 kHz and it correlates 7.5 kHz to 22.5 kHz.   The peak phase responses of the target signal determines which frequencies are correlated,  You don't get to select those.   You can select the basic width of the correlated window, and adjust for any over wrap above +95  and fine tune the low or high correlate window with the frequency offset but thats about all.   

But as johndoe has already stated, I suspect the V3 is too complicated for most users and much of the available capability is under realized.

HH
Mike

Edited the mixed mode tone statement.  

Well the 5.3 can hit coins at 7 to 9 inches all day and some times at 10" on a good day and the 950 will hit them over 12" So I don't see the need for a 7" coil, Detech  also make a 6x8 S.E.F. which handles hot ground better,

The 5.3 is the hottest coil White's make for VLF's, and when the machine is cranked right up it can see bits usually found with LF machines which makes it perfect for shallow bedrock areas and it is hotter and deeper than the 6x4 shooter coil.

The V3/V3i is a great machine but it has too many adjustment which are just not needed because most people just want to detect and not worry if they were using the right settings, The V3i is a first class machine but I don't think we will ever see such a complex machine ever again,  White's have other machines that can fare just as well for 99% of locations and tasks and in some cases they perform better at less than half the price,

The V3i has it all but tweaking settings out in the field is risky business no mater how well a person knows the machine because ground conditions and settings are so changeable,  I think Whites have taken this in to account with their mid priced machines because their performance is right up there with the best of them.

• Like 1

Well the 5.3 can hit coins at 7 to 9 inches all day and some times at 10" on a good day and the 950 will hit them over 12"

I envy people that have good dirt.   Everything is so much easier for them.

HH
Mike