Sign in to follow this  
mn90403

Ucla Fresh Fall Lecture October

Sep 2017 News from the UCLA Meteorite Gallery

One of a series of monthly letters sent to visitors to the UCLA Meteorite Gallery and to others who requested to be on the mailing list.

The Meteorite Gallery (Geology room 3697) is open with a docent present every Sunday from 1 until 4 with the exception of the last two Sundays in the calendar year. And it is open every work day from 9 until 4 but without a docent.  It is not open Saturdays.

We remind you that our website address is:http://www.meteorites.ucla.edu/. There you can find a map of our corner of the UCLA campus and instructions for parking in structure 2.

At 2:30 on Sunday September 17 the speaker at our Gallery Event is Professor David Jewitt. His topic is "From the Edge of the Solar System". Dave Jewitt is well known for his discovery of the Kuiper-Belt objects. He has been awarded the prestigious Kavli and Shaw Prizes and numerous other awards. For more information visit:http://www2.ess.ucla.edu/~jewitt/David_Jewitt.html.

Summary:  We have discovered that a new comet, C/2017 K2, is active at record distance from the Sun. The comet was discovered at 16 AU, beyond the orbit of Saturn, and was later found on images when it was at 24 AU. It appears to be making its debut in the planetary region, following 4.5 billion years in the frigid Oort cloud. He will discuss the new object and describe what we know about the outer realms of the solar system.

The lecture is in Geology 3656, just 40 yards west of the UCLA Meteorite Gallery.

Our next Gallery Lecture will occur on Sunday October 22. The speaker is Mark Fries, a scientist at the NASA Johnson Spacecraft Center in Houston. The title of his talk is: "How to find meteorites with weather-radar observations of fireballs: Opportunities for "citizen science" in the US and worldwide".  The US maintains a nationwide network of Doppler weather radars, and it is possible to find meteorite falls using their freely-available radar imagery. This talk will describe what a meteorite fall is, how frequently they occur (Spoiler: About once per year in the US!), and instructions so that anyone with internet access can find them.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Ridge Runner
      You know why you go and I know why I do . Go that is.
      We all want to see what’s new plus we get caught up in the excitement that flows in the air..
      The first thing I want to look at is another pinpointer that Steve H. had been talking about. I don’t think I’ll see that new 6” coil lots of us are waiting on to get here.
      My wife ask what I wanted for my birthday coming here in May. I told her money and don’t give it to me because I’m waiting on this new coil. She ask didn’t you just get a small coil for a detector and I said yes but that was for another detector.She did say let me know when it comes in and I’ll pay for it. Got to love them!
      Sorry about that my thinking jump the track a little.
      I got a friend coming down from Ok. to go with me to that show.I told him we going to need lots of money. So that’s the main thing I hope he don’t forget a little thing like that.
      I don’t see myself coming home with a new detector but like said a pinpointer will be mine.
      The Best to you on the next Treasure and Gold Show you attend. May your cup run over with whatever you wish for.
      Chuck
    • By Steve Herschbach
      8PM U.S. Eastern Time Monday March 19 or catch the recorded podcast later.
      https://www.spreaker.com/show/all-metal-modes-show
      Talking detecting with host Mike Haer.

Listen to "Steve Hershbach" on Spreaker.
    • By Fskafish
      Great show steve hope you are back on with mike soon, cool to put a voice with the head hancho around here!!
      Listen to "Steve Hershbach" on Spreaker.
    • By Lunk
      https://quartzsitegoldshowcom.wordpress.com/
      This is a really good show put on every year in Quartzsite, Arizona, so if you’re in the area, check it out!
    • By Bob(AK)
      For those of you down Arizona way, the big show starts soon. Thousands of vendors at numerous hotels and parking lots
      across Tucson,  have fun,   http://www.tucsongemshows.net/coming.html
    • By Steve Herschbach
      We at History Seekers are joined by Russ Balbirona from First Texas Products to talk about the new pinpointers plus tidbits on the new T2+ and F75+. If you are a Fisher Research Labs or Teknetics Metal Detectors fan, this is a show that you do not want to miss. Note: this is a podcast recording of the 11/15/2017 show.

After listening to it there was more about the pinpointers than the T2+ and F75+. In fact other than mention of a possible transferable warranty (they are vague on that point) there really is nothing new about the two models. Also a mention of new stuff in the next couple years.