Depth Of Find With GMT

bigtow08

A shallow small item can sound a lot like a deep large item. About all you have to go on is how sharp or how broad the target sounds. A small sharp "zip-zip" is a tiny surface target. A duller broader signal is something larger and deeper. But how large and deep is hard to gauge before you dig it. I have started with soft signals at the surface that prove to be a can a foot and a half down.

And welcome to the forum! :smile:

• Like 1

I should point out that many detectors have depth meters. They are really just a signal intensity trick. They calibrate the detector to what a coin, usually a dime, will have for signal strength at various depths. Something larger than a dime but deeper will mimic the same signal. However, a good target id detector can help there. If the detector says dime at 3" and you have dug 5", something is amiss.

The depth calibration for something like a dime is also matched to a particular coil size, normally the one that comes with the coil. Changing coil sizes will throw the depth reading off. A few detectors, like the White's V3i allow you to tell the detector what coil is on the machine to compensate. A few newer detectors also have chips in the coil which tell the machine what coil is on it, again to compensate for this difference.

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I have never operated a GMT detector.

Lots of things to do to approximate target depth.

Depth meters if applicable a guide only at best.

Using pinpoint function to guesstimate size can help.

Like Steve said strength of tone,,how smooth or how short, how long.

Coil height above ground before target's tone disappears.

So a person will develop their own set of criteria depending on detector model they are using.

And after you develop this criteria,,for one coil size,,,a user will need to adjust as necessary their criteria using either a bigger or smaller coil.

And might also have to adjust when moving from concentric to DD coils, and vice versa.