Minelab Fix For The GM 1000

Ridge Runner

On 9/14/2017 at 12:33 PM, Ridge Runner said:

The odd thing is some GM 1000 work great out of the box. Then others have trouble with the small coil. But then you have people like me and a few others have trouble with both coils.

It would be interesting to know if Minelab has more than one plant where GM 1000 comes together. Then too if Minelab had to buy their electronics from another company that could of been substandard without knowing it.

This wouldn't be the first time a top name company got the shaft unknowing what they were buying was substandard.

How many of you have sent your GM 1000 in to Minelab ?

Chuck

Someone isn't doing their job when it comes to QC... likely under pressure to keep up production when behind so they let little crap slide (like the packaging process) I'd put money on it being a packaging/shipping problem.

Well I got my GM 1000 back this morning. The Tech said he couldn't find anything wrong with the unit but just maybe  on the small coil when bump. I got a new 5 in. still in the plastic bag but hadn't been tested on my detector.

I put it together and didn't turn it on until I got outside. The sensitivity was set at 10 and the detect mode set to gold. When I did turn it on all I heard was snap crackle and pop. I tried to detect like it was but it was falsing some just on my carpet grass and also when I bump the coil on a tree. Now I if I back down off the sensitivity to 5 or 6 it settle down. The other way was to set it on Auto-Sensitivity.

It's a mineral belt about a hundred miles from me that next week I will take it for a real test. I'd say it's as near the type of ground if you were in gold country. You can find some gold but very little. I meet one guy did find one small gold nugget and one silver also and he has been looking a long time.

Until then.

Chuck

I posted this on Bill's forum so I'll post it here too.

The more I think about it I believe the Tech didn't feel what I told him was true. The small coil was giving to me more to make me happy that something was done. He was so sure of himself he didn't bother to take out the new coil and run a test on it.

Like I had said I will give it my best on the testing I plan. I hope all goes well with both coils but I just can't see if nothing was done to the unit itself how can anything being fixed.

Chuck

A guy I know is having problems with his Monster. It starts off okay, but becomes unusable within half an hour. I offered to test it for him, but he has sent it back. I will try to borrow one to see how it performs.

Chuck,

We did mail off the 10 inch coil that I had trouble with and mentioned in the earlier post.  It was just sent out, so it is too soon to know anything about Minelab's findings.  The coil did have a bit of rattle or looseness inside the cover though.  And like Reg said above, it started off okay, but shortly got unusable.  So thanks for the advice.

Gary

Steve

I'd like to do what you said on coming there. My trouble at this time I don't have a trip plan and unless I was going to stay 2 or 3 weeks I just wouldn't do it.

I plan on doing a lot of testing on my Gm and hope it works okay. I don't see send me a new 5 in. coil will fix anything. If I find I'm having the same trouble as when in Colorado it will be sent back.

The word I was looking for when they sent me the new coil is appease. That in my opinion is just what they done. This is not the first time I had a detector in my hand and the coil that was sent they didn't bother to test it. Had he done so he would have found it is doing the same as the other.

Chuck 

Well I got out today to do the testing on my GM 1000.

I couldn't believe how great it ran. To start on the depth mode it ran great with the sensitivity set at 7 but would get noisy when you bump it up to 8 but not bad. In auto sensitivity and sensitivity at 7 held true for both coils.

Now with the detector set on the gold mode I could run both coils with the sensitivity set at 10 and maybe even in auto plus. I couldn't get either coil to false.

I just don't understand it . It didn't run this good at home and the unit was making noise when turned on at home too. I wasn't so interest at this time about how good the depth but this testing is not over with yet. I plan on more testing before I make a trip to nugget country with it.

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I said something about what the Tech said on the Ground Balance being way off. Now just looking at a GM it's no way knowing that. He had to hook up something to know that and where the coil is connected has got to be the port to access the GM.

He didn't tell me he done anything to the unit but to make it run like it did now something was changed. If it is any trouble in the programming we will never know it. The Tech just wave his hand over it and the sea parted.

If what I say is true I wish they tell it like it is and don't blow smoke up my ( because I can't see good when they do that ).

Chuck