Minelab Fix For The GM 1000

Ridge Runner

Chuck; if it works don't worry, be happy! 

Testing a detector in the house or in the city is often not the best choice...way to many sources of interference...

Techs usually don't have the time or inclination to try and explain their magic...like some religions you just have to accept the mystery.

fred

• Like 2

I think that the GM being such a new beast , with a very fast processor that some users are calling some of the genuine abilities of this machine as being faults rather than genuine advancements simply because the older gen machines don't behave this way . This vlf machine has features never seen in A vlf nugget detector before and as such will have idiosyncrasies that just have to be learnt and understood to get the best out of it . I too have struggled to understand some of the behaviour of the monster. But it has to be remembered the technology I was familiar with is know getting quite long in the tooth. Running the monster in full auto means that the machine is adjusting sensitivity and ground balance in unison and the response to ground conditions will be a lot different to a detector like the Gold Bug where the operator sets the response parameters.I too have some bump issues with the coil but usually if I'm rough with it and I'm running high sensitivity, but I can't honestly say it distracts me all that much. I guess a machine with such high sensitivity and audio is going to be a bit touchy . We will have to see what minelab comes up with but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me. 

PM??

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you have not read Jonathan Porters mastering the GM1000 on minelab treasure talk then I would highly recommend doing so over and over til his advice sticks in your mind out in the field. Mine will chirp when touching a weed or blade of grass but I don't see this as a problem. The monster is a very hot machine and I overcome this by realizing I am touching something and it sounds off so I will not dig. If you pump the coil up and down slowly and wait for the detector to go silent you should be good to go. Also you may need to back off of the auto sensitivity plus and instead hunt in auto sensitivity or manual backed off until this issue goes away. I have noticed that the hotter you run this detector the more it happens. I would also like to point out with this detector if you get a signal that says iron, iron, iron, iron, gold, iron, iron, gold, then you need to dig this scenario because that will be a very tiny or deep piece of gold. I have found several tiny and or deep nuggets, even flakes by digging this type of signal. Rake a layer away until the detector locks on to a positive definite target id.  I have been able to hunt in extremely hot ground around a quartz outcroping by putting it in auto sensitivity and repeatedly pumping the coil til it goes silent then hunt until it becomes noisy again and repeat the process. Attached is a pic of my results of working my monster in this manner.

1107171200.jpg

20170820_183514.jpg

20170820_094717.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Remember this machine is doing a lot.  It is auto-ground balancing, ground averaging, and if you have it in AUTO-sensitivity 1, or 2 it is doing the auto sensitivity adjustments too.

So give it some time when doing the initial ground balance.  Pump the coil up and down, only 6 inches off of the deck, then finish the procedure by doing about three figure 8's on the ground so it can actually get some information fed into the ground averaging function before you start to swing.

I think the other thing a lot of us are struggling with is that most of us who have used Minelab's pulse induction machines over the years have ran our ground balance in FIXED, and then checked the balance every now and again by raising the coil off of the ground.  If it was out of balance, we would push the button and re-balance the coil.  This is particularly true here in the United States where the ground is not wildly variable.  For those of us who have ran in Auto-Ground balance we are use to a little more "talk" from the Minelab detectors, as they keep adjusting to the changing mineralization in the ground.

With the Gold Monster it is only AUTO GROUND BALANCE, so you have to remember it is very sensitive to you raising your coil up over a bush, or anything that would causes the machine to re-balance to new circumstances.  Try to keep the coil on the ground.  If you do anything weird, take a swing at a passing vulture, use your machine like a golf club to chip a rock onto the 11th green, remember to re-balance.  Especially important if you hit this big booming trash target.  Re-balance.

Take about 15 seconds to balance the coil.  Pump up and down, close to the deck, no more than 6 inches, and do a figure 8 three times.

Doc
Minelab® Certified Gold Machine Detector Trainer

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I wonder if the detector is sensitive to battery voltage and series resistance. The tech could substitute a lab supply for the battery and run some tests....  anything where you say it worsens in a half hour makes me think this could be the issue.

Hi All

just wondering if anyone has had any feedback or information on the falsing issue??

Due to a few other things going on that have been more troubling and then also with Xmas and New Years as well thrown into the mix I had to prioritise things,  but now there out of the way it’s back to my gold monster falsing issue!  So my first GM1000 had this same issue but it was worse then the this machine they replaced it with,  but by saying that the machine I’ve got now is still bad!, bump the ground or the cable and it starts singing to you and it’s not a nice song and it’s just way to much to put up with!!, yes I’ve got my cable Velcroed as I do with my other VLF detectors I’ve owned in the past!.

This detector is a very sensitive machine and due to the tiny bits it’s finding you’ve gotta run it on the ground and this shouldn’t normally be an issue!   I’ve seen others running there’s over gravel , rocks and hard ground But that’s impossible to do with mine!  Because if I do it sounds like someone’s won a jackpot on a poker machine we’ll just about!!!.

As I’ve said I’ve seen others killing it with this machine finding heaps !!  But to say the least it’s disappointing, frustrating and a bit disheartening to have this happen twice and I just try to tell myself that I’ve just been unlucky otherwise I start to loose faith in this machine as I’m sure some of you’s could understand..

I’m just really hoping that Minelab can help me and us in general to find out what’s causing this problem! ,  because let’s face it I’m sure there have been other’s that have bit the bullet and brought the GM in hope of finding some gold and although $1000 isn’t a great deal to some of us, To others who just don’t have much cash but have always dreamt of finding gold and this machine was there chance due to it not being as expensive as a PI detector!,  and then if they’ve also brought one that’s had this same issue it could be something that completely puts them off the hobby for good! and let’s face it there’s a lot of people that would of brought one and just are not on these forums to tell there experiences good or bad, and I’m sure it’s not great for business having a detector that now has a known problem in the odd one’s.

I’m not in any means putting Minelab down or bagging them as I’ve said I’ve seen other people’s GM that performs absolutely amazing and finding heaps and I also own a Minelab SDC 2300 , and I know Minelab make the best gold detector’s in the world! I also know the GM finds smaller gold then what the SDC can find.

So I’m just more interested in hearing what’s going on with this issue if there are any on here that know what’s going on behind the scenes to address the issue I’d love to know.

Cheers All

My advice? Contact your dealer or Minelab directly and get the problem fixed or the machine replaced. Unless you are just running too much sensitivity for the ground, in which case it is not a detector issue but a settings issue. There is nothing going on “behind the scenes” that I am aware of. The vast majority of people with the Monster are not reporting the isssue, and so the only fix is normal warranty channels.