Companies Go Bad

I was not meaning to think opposite or just one way or another about any company as much as I was saying Minelab had painted itself into a corner but it doesn't look that way now.  They have breakout products.  They are reinventing themselves in 3-4 years and not like the 15-20 years of other companies.

All of the other companies in the market space will have their own troubles gaining, keeping or losing market share.  Much of that market share can be from brand loyalty and other can be from innovation.  An additional amount of market share will come from 'Made in USA' or 'Not Made in USA' folks.

Whites's (who made my first detector) and the other brands need a 'practical MBA' to keep them relevant.  Electronic innovations happen all the time and someone needs to keep up with them in all of those companies to know what can be applied to detecting.  It makes features we desire less expensive and lighter.

Mitchel

If Minelab undercuts themselves and gains market share, they win. Every dollar not spent on a competitor's product is a win.

Another point, perhaps the expense to produce (and support) the higher end and older units are greater than the Equinox's. Imo, it's got a modern simplicity in design. Shaft, coil, and then the handle controller assembly. 

Case in point; I'll bet it's way easier to change a battery on the Equinox than jacking around butchering the coil on a Deus! IMHO.

And another Tnet member pointed out the limitations and work-arounds Deus users deal with for underwater use - gone in the Equinox!

I personally would feel better taking this Minelab underwater than the Deus with the lame factory waterproof kit. But that's just me.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, MikePfeiffer said:

I thought about buying a Deus up to the video I seen on battery replacement.

I know, right? :laugh::blink:

I made the purchase with an underlying feeling that the Deus has a shelf life, like fresh produce, use it before it spoils.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I've been a fairly loyal guy to brands Made in the USA, save for machines I've bought to test and sold. Today I sold my MX Sport in anticipation of the Equinox. MX Sport prices have nowhere to go but down from here. The Equinox is what the MX Sport should have been. Even if it were a VX3 in waterproof housing I wouldn't have felt nearly as compelled to sell it. U.S. Companies are not listening to what customers say they want. That is waterproof AND multifrequency. Whites gave us waterproof in a beautiful looking machine. They ignored the request for multiple frequency or multifrequency so far. First Texas has rested on the laurels of old multifrequency machines and have ignored the requests for waterproofing machines like the F75 and T2 because in their research they discovered most people don't use it. None of that matters. People think they will and when they base their purchase decisions on something they think they will do it's best to give them what they want. I only used my MX Sport in the water a few times, and that may or may not be the case for whatever waterproof machine I'm running this summer, but I want to have that option. Something all companies need to understand is that the guys that are buying flagships and upper end machines care as much about their machine as they do the hobby itself. They like to talk about their machines and it's features and where it can go. U.S. companies should take a page from Bonnie Rait and give them something to talk about. 

• Like 3

Guest Tnsharpshooter
On September 19, 2017 at 7:04 PM, MikePfeiffer said:

I thought about buying a Deus up to the video I seen on battery replacement.

Yes, Xp I think got ahead of themselves.  The battery location as far as LF coils ahold have been like they did with the HF coils.

Quite a difference when swinging both the LF and HF 9" round coils.  HF 9" round coil definitely has better balance.  You use the 9" round HF coil for a couple hours and switch to the 9" LF coil you'll really feel it.

Some thing I have wondered.   Is Deus programming dependent on the battery location in the coil I itself.  If not, could the LF coils be retrofitted to external battery like HF coils realizing a person would need a new lower rod.

This whole thread is good.  Some good exchanges going on.  I have stated in the past.  Metal detector manufacturers already had I think had a crystal ball  from which to watch as far as the future goes.

This crystal ball being actual US auto industry and what transpired with it back in the late 80s and 90s.

Metal detector industry just lags the auto industry.  But probably not as much lag today as yesteryear.

On 9/19/2017 at 8:29 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

If you read the article it basically boils down to companies getting stuck in the past. Tesoro is the most obvious example but it could be applied to others.

A little off subject here but I think this is a huge misconception when it comes to Tesoro. I had the same mindset for many years, old analog technology  wrapped up in what looks like a kids detector, not interested! Until I seen for myself what Tesoro's are capable of. I do all sorts of detecting but I enjoy relic hunting the most. I have used just about everything out there, whites, fisher, teknetics, minelab and others trying to find a good, light weight relic machine. At least for Ohio soil I stuck with my E-trac, running it in TTF. For me at least it beat out all the others. Then  one day I got to see how a $160 dollar Compadre handles heavy iron and was blown away. Tesoro's are my go to for relic hunting, hands down I haven't even found anything close. I do however get what you're saying and agree but would like to make the point I think they are great detectors for the right occasion.

I get what the article is about and I think it is a good point and very relevant to the subject of metal detector manufacturers. Personally I have been looking overseas. The Nokta impact is very impressive, one of the best detectors I've ever used for my kind of detecting relic/old coins. They are also known for amazing customer service. Anyone heard of the  Rutus Alter 71? Very impressive detector!

So I'm not happy about it but while FIsher/Teknetics keep re-inventing the T2 and F75, Minelab never being very good with their customers (or dealers), Garrett's success with the A/T line has seemed to go to their head and has greatly effected customer service form what I hear, not to mention the MAX getting some very mixed reviews, Whites at least to me has been lagging behind for some time.. I am looking overseas.

my first post here, I hope no one hates me for this! All just my opinions of course

1 hour ago, Dan B said:

I've experienced Garrett service. It's outstanding. Not sure what you heard, but my experience tells me the opposite. 

I do a metal detecting podcast so I really try to keep up with whats going on. I have been here in Texas for almost 2 years now, first thing that was evident when I moved here is people love Garrett! Lot of loyal Garret users here. Several people including two people right here in Texas that used to be in love with Garrett have told me issues with their customer service,

I view this discussion as very similar to the epic Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry (or F-150 vs Silverado) battle. It goes something like this... Honda will introduce an all-new Accord with features and technology unheard of for the price. Everyone says to themselves, that's it for the competition, no way they can ever top this, game over. Then a year or so later, Toyota releases an upgraded Camry that resets the bar to an even higher-level, and the cycle continues.

It's the consumer that actually benefits because we end up with more features, technology and value for the dollar. I would be very surprised if we don't see an entire line-up of affordable multi-frequency machines, within the next year or two, from the competition. There will likely be some short-term turmoil among the major manufacturers but we will all benefit in the long run.