Companies Go Bad

On 1/31/2018 at 6:22 AM, Mike Haer said:

A little off subject here but I think this is a huge misconception when it comes to Tesoro. I had the same mindset for many years, old analog technology  wrapped up in what looks like a kids detector, not interested! Until I seen for myself what Tesoro's are capable of. I do all sorts of detecting but I enjoy relic hunting the most. I have used just about everything out there, whites, fisher, teknetics, minelab and others trying to find a good, light weight relic machine. At least for Ohio soil I stuck with my E-trac, running it in TTF. For me at least it beat out all the others. Then  one day I got to see how a $160 dollar Compadre handles heavy iron and was blown away. Tesoro's are my go to for relic hunting, hands down I haven't even found anything close. I do however get what you're saying and agree but would like to make the point I think they are great detectors for the right occasion.

I get what the article is about and I think it is a good point and very relevant to the subject of metal detector manufacturers. Personally I have been looking overseas. The Nokta impact is very impressive, one of the best detectors I've ever used for my kind of detecting relic/old coins. They are also known for amazing customer service. Anyone heard of the  Rutus Alter 71? Very impressive detector!

So I'm not happy about it but while FIsher/Teknetics keep re-inventing the T2 and F75, Minelab never being very good with their customers (or dealers), Garrett's success with the A/T line has seemed to go to their head and has greatly effected customer service form what I hear, not to mention the MAX getting some very mixed reviews, Whites at least to me has been lagging behind for some time.. I am looking overseas.

my first post here, I hope no one hates me for this! All just my opinions of course

We don’t do hate here :smile:

The commentary about Tesoro is not a knock on their detectors. Great little units. But a business must always move forward to live, and Tesoro is dying the slow death as they lose mindshare with the audience. I honestly pay no attention to them any longer. I knew all I needed to know about them ten years ago and nothing has changed since.

Never had an issue with Garrett service myself outside of having to use it more than any other manufacturer. I have had about as many issues with Garrett hardware as all other brands I have owned combined. But the saving grace was they always fixed things quickly without any fuss. I hope that is not changing.

Between Minelab and Nokta/Makro right now the U.S. manufacturers have to be feeling the heat. Nok/Mak units in particular seem squarely aimed at the traditional First Texas customer.

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Between Minelab and Nokta/Makro right now the U.S. manufacturers have to be feeling the heat. Nok/Mak units in particular seem squarely aimed at the traditional First Texas customer.

Have you ever used some of Makros imaging machines like the Jeohunter and Deephunter? Looks impressive and in that regard they seem to be heads and shoulders ahead of the others, but I've never had occasion to use those machines. If the could incorporate that stuff into a hobby machine, I could see them taking off on the rest. 

In my very limited experience such machines are not near as simple as the marketing makes it look. The imaging is usually very vague requiring a skilled operator and a high degree of interpretive skills. Nothing I hunt for is large enough to even trigger such devices, which are best for looking for the proverbial buried treasure chest.

On 2/1/2018 at 11:34 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

We don’t do hate here :smile:

The commentary about Tesoro is not a knock on their detectors. Great little units. But a business must always move forward to live, and Tesoro is dying the slow death as they lose mindshare with the audience. I honestly pay no attention to them any longer. I knew all I needed to know about them ten years ago and nothing has changed since.

Never had an issue with Garrett service myself outside of having to use it more than any other manufacturer. I have had about as many issues with Garrett hardware as all other brands I have owned combined. But the saving grace was they always fixed things quickly without any fuss. I hope that is not changing.

I didnt take it as hate at all. I think most of us when we think of electronics, everything needs to be updated every year or so but if it isn't broke why fix it? The Tejon is a beast of a relic detector, I've used Minelabs, Teknetics, Fishers, Garrets, Whites and I will take a Tesoro over any of those. I currently have an Outlaw, 3 coils, 3 shafts for 550.00. I have relic hunted next to all the major names and none of them have impressed me more than the Outlaw or Tejon.  Personally, I hope they don't go changing them.

In the last year I have had two issues with Garrett. I build headphones for metal detecting, I contacted them about their connectors since they are proprietary. I was treated rudely when I asked if I could purchase connectors, they said I couldn't, I asked how one of the big headphone manufactures get theirs and he went from rude to nasty, I asked in a very respectful way. I got a hold of another person to see if I could talk to someone about the Max after it was announced for an article, again it went no where and was treated rude. Besides that like I said more than a few people have told me they've seen big changes concerning Garrett and customer service.

hmm I personally hadn't thought about Nokta/Makro  being aimed at First Texas. The Impact put me more in mind of the E-trac/CTX, deep, stable, good VDI. The Kruzer puts me in mind of the Equinox. I haven't used a Racer but I hear really good things.

• Like 2

I should specify, For relic hunting I would take a Tesoro. Although I know of some people running Tesoro's who can ID amazing with them simply by how that single tone re-acts.. I am not one of those. Where there isn't much modern trash and a lot of iron.. Tesoro every time for me.  site with modern trash, coin hunting etc. I like a VDI detector