13” Coil For Deus - Do I Need One?

57buick

I just got my Deus with both HF coils. Is there any reason other than coverage I would want the 13" coil? I hear it's pretty nose heavy and I'm thinking the HF coils are so amazingly sensitive and deep I probably would never have a use for the 13" right?

I don't know. I am gonna use this for everything, park hunting, gold prospecting, relic hunting. Im gonna try and find settings to work on the beach and see how that goes. I have pretty much every kind of detecting here in the northwest. Guess I was just curious if there would be any perceptible depth increase with a 13" over the HF coils when relic or coin hunting? Otherwise not worth getting

I have never seen any comparisons of the two. Few people have the 13” coil and fewer yet have the HF coils so kind of early yet for that. I know when I was looking to buy the Deus my research did not find many people impressed with the 13”. You can only swing one coil at a time and so unless you just want to buy all the coils you might want to go get some time in with what you have first. Let’s see if anyone else chimes in who has first hand experience.

My 11" is no more than 1 inch deeper than my 9" round HF in my mild soil if that helps. Frequency doesn't seem to matter except that 55khz is not quite as deep as 14 & 28.

I love the 13", not just because of its coverage, but when you stand the coil up using the tip or tail with fairly shallow coins and trash you can pinpoint the coin accurately and differentiate it from trash because the ID works well even with just the tip or tail, more so than the other LF coils. Think it has something to do with its particular elliptical shape over the round coils. Not having a HF elliptical coil I cannot say if this is so for it but have found this feature very handy.

• Like 1

I haven't taken the plunge and bought the HF coils just yet but I have had the 13" coil for a little over five years now. I have an adapter which moves the mounting point to roughly the center of the coil which helps with the balance but it is still a little bit nose heavy. 

Having said that, and realizing that I (and Norvic) are probably part of a very small group that feels this way, I love the coil. The added ground covering ability comes in handy when searching large parcels of land and the separation, while its ability to separate non-ferrous targets from ferrous is not on par with the smaller 9" coil, is still pretty phenomenal for a coil of it's size. Not to mention what Norvic previously posted regarding the 13" coil's ability pinpoint; "when you stand the coil up using the tip or tail with fairly shallow coins and trash you can pinpoint the coin accurately and differentiate it from trash because the ID works well even with just the tip or tail, more so than the other LF coils."

While I'm not one to post depth differences between coils due to the many variables that have to be factored into the results, I will say that when compared to the standard 9" coil in dirt that ranges from 0 - 4 or maybe 5 bars on the mineralization scale the, 13" coil wins hands down on several targets, especially when utilising the detectors lower frequencies. The following settings are for fairly clean areas but can be easily modified to handle fairly small amounts of trash: the 13" coil loves 4 khz, -1 silencer, spot on GB if not a point or two lower for even more depth and 0 reactivity if the amount of trash targets will allow you to get away with it.  I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. If so I will revise this post as I remember them.

HH,

Chris

• Like 2

Mostly I use the Deus at 4khz also, (0 reactivity) seems ample sensitivity to the coins I hunt, the more modern day AL foil that has been shredded and distributed all over by the mowers is much less a problem at the lower frequency. As I predominately chase gold with the GPZ7000 , thus very conditioned to heavy coils the 13" balance and weight is no drama.

My 9" is in need of a new battery as it has been sitting unused, probably had I not swung to the 13" I would have maintained its charging and thus avoided this. I guess this is a small trade you make for wireless coils that are powered seeking a RC, one needs to maintain a good charging discipline. Lithium batteries whilst tops don`t like to be taken down to dead and then left in that state.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...