13” Coil For Deus - Do I Need One?

57buick

On 19/09/2017 at 11:45 PM, 57buick said:

I just got my Deus with both HF coils. Is there any reason other than coverage I would want the 13" coil? I hear it's pretty nose heavy and I'm thinking the HF coils are so amazingly sensitive and deep I probably would never have a use for the 13" right?

Wrong big time ,,if you use the HF coil as your primary coil ,your finds rate will drop,, HF coils are sensitive to very small surface and shallow  targets ,Im in the UK i compared a nine inch HF coil with the nine inch stock coil , ie, 40 hours out in the field ,, with my detecting colleague ,,,and my findings were,, there was nothing that I found using the nine inch HF that a nine inch standard coil would not find .

13 inch X 11 coil is heavy and you will need an after market block to centralise the coil to the shaft, which makes it even heavier ,if you measure the curcumferance of the  13 x 11 using the ellipse  formula theres not much differece to the 11 inch round coil..

2 hours ago, rallymaker said:

Wrong big time ,,if you use the HF coil as your primary coil ,your finds rate will drop,, HF coils are sensitive to very small surface and shallow  targets ,Im in the UK i compared a nine inch HF coil with the nine inch stock coil , ie, 40 hours out in the field ,, with my detecting colleague ,,,and my findings were,, there was nothing that I found using the nine inch HF that a nine inch standard coil would not find .

13 inch X 11 coil is heavy and you will need an after market block to centralise the coil to the shaft, which makes it even heavier ,if you measure the curcumferance of the  13 x 11 using the ellipse  formula theres not much differece to the 11 inch round coil..

Interesting info, thanks for that

Guest Tnsharpshooter
9 hours ago, rallymaker said:

Well, I will have to disagree here with you.

A couple things first, the round HF coil, remember it can be run at 14.4khz approx,,this is not deemed high frequency.

Next my testing shows comparing the round 9" HF coil to round 9" LF coil, for separation and detecting high conductive coins in a 3 d scenario nail(s) above coin, round HF has advantage.

Usually while using 9" LF coil in order to maximize 3D detection scenarios of coins in iron utilization of 18khz mandatory using Deus with say Reactivty 3.

My tests showed round HF coil while utilization 14.4khz bested LF coil here.

And what really stood out was YES the LF coil would give detection on some scenarios, but switching to 4 Reactivty signal on nonferrous absent.

But using the round HF coil, this same test when going to Reactivty level 4 detection was very good.

So it seems the round HF coil will yield deeper detections of 3D scenarios on average vs using 9" LF coil.  Or maybe better said, when things get more cramped with iron, the round HF coil will offer at the same time better lateral separation while at the same time better 3D plane unmaking.  LF coil here is disadvantaged.  Now if I didn't have round HF coil I would still be thinking in my mind Deus with 9" LF still the best at doing the above for coil size- no longer though.

I when I could detector the nonferrous using both coils at Reactivty level 3, coil sweep has to be carefully managed.  But the round HF coil when increasing to Reactivty 4 signal was good with more allowed variation of sweep speed.

Also I witnessed stronger tone using the Round HF coil vs LF coil even when both detected tonally.

These test were on top of the ground.

Ground mineral levels could skew my results.

But freq wise I can't go any higher using LF coil, unlike the round HF coil.

For coin hunting IMO when just judging both coils from a provider of tone on nonferrous tones, Round HF clear winner.

Now, since real ID is provided using LF coil with no Vdi normalization selected ( and an op can select lower freq for detection) from an ID perspective on SOME targets, the LF coil could provide an advantage for less digging of junk depending on the site.

I think XP should have labeled and marketed both (the current HF coils) as both HIGH and LOWER frequency coils.

Additional info.

I also tested a US nickel, and here I thought the round HF coil,and LF coil, here the coils were closer but still HF coil had tendency to give signal again with reactivity 4 selected where the LF coil failed as the test were rigged even tougher for detection.

Some thing I need to check, just what target conductivy level does the round HF coil with 14.4khz selected, when does its advantage start falling by the wayside.

An American latest generation Indian Penny may be the best coin to retest on.  It is not a high conductor really maybe a medium high.

Now if the conductivy (it is tied to size of target somewhat) the round HF coil here likely will have rhe advantage.

I think it is also safe to assume.

Most folks with their thinking when starting off with round HF coil, didn't use 14.4khz likely, instead used the newer band of 28.8.khz, and in so doing may have been dissapointed.

Thinking the 14.4kh band would really be no different than say Deus LF coil is at 12 kHz or even 18khz.

So IMO there is no congruence between the round HF coil and the round9" LF coil performance wise when the same settings are utilized.

I based on what I saw when testing, I truly think there will be no nonferrous target the Deus with 9" LF coil alerts on using reactivity level 3, where the round HF coil wouldn't alert on equally using Reactivty level 4.  Now this is Deus round HF coil utilizing freq 14.4khz.  And naturally this assumes all other settings being equal when the 2 detector/coils are being used.

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I will try to retest with the American IH coin today.

I have some time awaiting a delivery.

Also I may retest using the higher cinductive US clad dime.

I also saw some thing when it comes to disc setting I think, folks may find this interesting.

Need to reverify  though, sure don't want to give bad info.

See this thread here for additional info.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/4441-testing-comparing-round-hf-coil-and-9-lf-coil/?tab=comments#comment-47668

Last weekend we had the opportunity to detect several acres of farm land on private property where the owner pointed out the spots were his family had 3 different homesteads. I was thinking that was probably the perfect place to have used a 13" coil. But then again even though there was hundreds of cows there was also hundreds of square nails and such lol

Im not sure but I'm thinking the larger coil would have just made it harder to sift thru the trash in the ground so maybe I was better off with the smaller 9"

On 10/23/2017 at 12:51 PM, rallymaker said:

What does the cirumference tell you about a coil's expected performance?

• Like 1