Sign in to follow this  
Tmox

Thanks Steve For The First Ring

I've been working the Humboldt County Fair Grounds with my F75 for awhile and getting a daily ration of pocket change from the junk but no love finding a ring. Today I was reading about you using your F75 for nuggets and in particular digging a tailing pile and digging a 22 signal that was nice and consistent.  I know all gold does not read 22 but I got a nice 22 signal that was solid and up comes this little ring!  I was successful because I got out of the mindset of just digging coin signals and started digging solid signals even when they are in the foil or zink range.

It was you comment on digging a 22 signal that stuck and clicked for me.

Thanks so Much!

Tim

IMG_20170921_163915702_HDR.jpg

Edited by Tmox
added photo
  • Like 7

Congrats on your ring find..... WTG

With all the technology we have in our detectors we get a little lazy sometimes. We expect too much from them when it comes to target ID.

There is no machine made and in all truth probably never will be made that can discriminate between a gold ring and a pull tab or zink penny or a piece of can slaw or a nickel for that matter. 

The electrical characteristics can be just too similar.

So the old saying of...."If you want the gold, you got to dig it all." ..... is the rule to success.

I like many may start my hunt digging most everything, then as I start to get fatigued I tend to let some targets pass. It has always been early in the detecting day when I have made my best finds.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck out there...:cool:

And here is something that also may help you.... See the bottom line on the MXT control pod?

See the section for GOLD? Now draw straight lines up to the targets line.... Gold falls in from the high iron range clear up to a quarter.... That's is a significant range and if your neglecting targets in that range you ar risking missing the gold.

Happy digging....:blink:

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 8.39.29 AM.png

Hi Tim,

Congratulations! Gold does indeed fall all over the range so you just got lucky, but glad it was something I said that helped the luck happen.

Your photo links did not work so I removed them. You can edit your post to try and add again. The easiest way is just upload them to the forum.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Jackpine
      are starting to heat up.  I spent a couple hours at the sand bar this morning and managed a couple pieces.  Nothing to brag about as the stones in the ring are CZ's.   The hoop earring is silver plated.  There were 3 other hunters out and their finds were meager as well with only one gold ring being reported at this spot so far.  
      The wire mesh I had welded in the scoop worked a dream.  The earring back in the pic is just one of many tiny bits it captured saving a lot of time. 😉
      The nut

The heartbreak

It really felt good to get out and get started on this years "crop"!  👍
    • By Mike Hillis
      Hunting tiny gold jewelry in inland sites is just so different from mainstream detecting methods that unless you do it you don't understand the requirements.    
      #1.   EMI stability.   Your detector has to be stone cold stable.  No spurious noise.  None.  The signals you are after are small tight signals and you can’t hear them if your detector is making spurious noises.
      #2.   The detector needs to be able to keep its HOTs at low gain/sensitivity settings because:
      a... You need to be able to focus on the right depth of signals and those tiny signals are not deep.  Most of the time they are just down in the grass roots.   You want to focus only on the top three to four inches of depth.   If you have to run your sensitivity at or near max all you are doing is masking the desired signal response with reports from all the other signals surrounding it and below it.  And in cases where the ground minerals are high, the ground itself will mask the response.  
      b... You need to control the coil foot print.  In this type of hunting you don’t want coil edge surface responses.  You only want to hear what is directly under your coil.   Concentric coils work better at this than DD coils.  DD coils are ok but you get better footprints with concentric and tighter readings on your meter.
      #3.  The higher the operating frequency, the more important the above become.  As the operating frequency goes up, the level of discrimination goes down because the trash targets hit harder and sound better.   In other words, the higher the operating frequency the better the trash sounds and responds.
      #4.  Notch discrimination or some other form of discrimination that will allow you to focus just on the signal range you are hunting.   The only range of signals you are interested in are in the ferrous/non-ferrous boundary range and the foil range up to maybe the nickel reading.   All other signals are distractions.
      I'm editing to add a number #5.   Tiny signal audio boost is a big plus if it can be deployed while keeping original signal response integrity.  
      I'll close with this.....You can take a gold prospecting unit onto a woodchip playground or a sand pit and as long as it can handle the EMI you can hunt with it on normal settings.  But if you are targeting sites  where good quality, tiny jewelry is most likely to be present, you will be working a lot of turf sites where a prospecting detector's normal feature set isn't going to be very helpful. 
      HH
      Mike
    • By Randy Dee
      This post is mainly directed to UK field detecting where we have had social open air gatherings since Medieval times and on fields littered with coke. I used these settings yesterday and I was hopeful of finding at least one gold necklace / chain but alas none, better luck next time.
      As most of us know it is almost impossible to find a fine gold chain with any metal detector and as it is a long story why but mainly due to Eddy Currents and the metal detector rejecting coke which fits into the same frequency range as thin and fine gold and as here in the UK we find our permission fields littered with coke which mostly emanates from the days of steam engines powering farm equipment and the spreading of night soil as a crop fertilizer and which was collected from house middens and where the ashes from the household coal fires was used to cover the stinking human excrement, these ashes contained large cinders which survive for donkeys years in the soil and give off wonderful signals for metal detectors.
      This information on how to adjust the Tone Breaks to enhance the chances of finding gold chains during field detecting is only applicable to the Minelab Equinox 800 as it has the advanced settings capability.
      To alter the "Tone Breaks" it involves making changes to three "Target Tone Dependencies" which are "Number Of Target Tones", "Target Pitch" & "Target Volume".
      Here is my effort to change the settings to cover the frequency conductive range to give off a signal from thin gold chains in the discrimination zones, at present the default Discrimination zone is -9 to +2 and it is the Zero to +2 segment where gold chains show.
      So first of all select either "Field 1 or 2" your choice.
      Then go to "Target Tone" choose 5 tones.
      Then go to "Tone Breaks" and set the 5 tones as thus T1 = -9 to 0, T2 = 1 to 2, T3 = 3 to 28, T4 = 29 to 38, T5 = 39 to 40.
      Then go back to "Tone Volume" and set tone segments to T1 = 1, T2 = 15, T3 = 25, T4 = 25, T5 = 15.
      Then go to "Tone Pitch" and set the tone segments to T1 = 1, T2 = 15, T3 = 25, T4 = 20, T5 = 16.
      To move from from one tone segment to the next segment use the "Accept / Reject" button ( \//x ). These settings are working for me but then again they may not be every-bodies cup of tea.  
    • By schoolofhardNox
      Well today was beach hunt #7 with the Equinox. There wasn’t a lot of detecting room, with the way the tide was today. Also, a lot of people walking and laying out on the beach. It’s getting crowded out there. I was hoping to keep the streak alive today and I didn’t have to wait very long. First good target was the pink stone 14 K Gold ring. I almost didn’t believe it. That made the rest of the hunt less stressful and more enjoyable, as the gold streak would continue. But I didn’t expect to get too much more, but the finds kept coming.  All the time I just kept shaking my head, I can’t believe what Minelab has done!!! 4 gold rings, some silver and a small amount of clad. The broken class ring was found in 2 separate holes about 60 ft apart. The breaking points match up perfectly…they were part of the same ring. The tiny targets were out in full force, as well as the pull tabs too. A small price to pay for the good finds that can come with it. Probably the smallest chain this machine can pick up. Had a hard time locating it once it was out of the hole. I was glad to get out today… a picture-perfect weather day!

• By Mike Hillis
      Patch Gold = A patch is a hot spot with the right ingredients (cover, clientele, and activity) to allow re-occurring jewelry losses over time.  Patch Gold is gold jewelry found in this hot spot.   
      This is nice piece of Patch Gold from one of my patches.   18k White gold with a very pretty diamond I found a few weeks back.   
      HH
      Mike

• By mn90403
      I went out early this morning.  I was expecting a cut as there had been a 3 hour period of high waves during high tide.  As it turned out it was more of a 'blow over' than a cut so after about an hour it was time to move.  My next beach was less blown over so I settled in for a bit.  Finally I found a few quarters and that can mean rings!  So it was today.  My first ring was the 18.  This made me circle, grid and look near for another.  About 20 feet away I got the 16.  Nice 2 ring morning before 7 AM.  I kept hunting and found the cheap tennis bracelet and then I got the 8, the 3rd ring.
      I'll give the composition of the ring and you tell me which number goes with it.  I'll come .back Thursday Night and tell you the number that goes with the ring
      There is a copper ring in the top center.  There is a silver .925 ring on the left with a nice little amethyst.  There is 18k GP ring with a larger glass or crystal on the right.
      Mitchel