Gold Found With QED

AussieMatt

Currently camped on the job in central Vic where comms are difficult, but here's a progress report.

Been at it for a couple of weeks (I think :unsure:) but there are some results to report. I've been working solo a lot of the time but also with Reg when he's not too busy.

We started off testing the new Detech 32" coplanar concentric which Stinky Pete kindly loaned us for a few days. What a coil!

Although we didn't manage to put it over any deep gold, it's easily the deepest seeking coil we have ever used, yet sensitive to small targets as well. I'm ordering an 18" to 20" model as soon as they become available. Howard is busy planning mods to the QED so it can run them as well.

I'm pretty excited about these coils. My friend Tony has been winding and using them for years with great prospecting success. Needless to say, he isn't interested in owning a "Z"

Hang onto your GPX's folks, they're about to penetrate previously unreached depths!

Some of the properties we've been prospecting are familiar and some are new. Always a buzz to finally get onto new ground after meeting with the "Cocky" and negotiating a deal. In some cases the ground has been detected before by others, but with careful gridding we always manage more. On one property we worked yesterday a previously detected patch yielded an additional ounce and a half in chunky colours (young blokes we were told) Perhaps they were ignoring screamers, but we're not complaining :cool:

First up, my solo tally so far. largest piece (front) over half an oz:

0cpo4BF.thumb.jpg.2e4a8731c006d16489e3c244c1ed97d9.jpg

- and our shared tally to be eventually split 50/50 . Again, largest piece (front) over half an oz detected by Reg:

F3aJ5lY.thumb.jpg.46360fef66fa9801f01df4ed18fa06df.jpg

All gold located in patches on eroded Tertiary leads. Some pieces still have traces of the cement matrix they eroded out from.

A general view of one of the Tertiary patches with Reg's young foxy "Boo"  photobombing. Reg in the distance:

xEe9S2c.thumb.jpg.abcbc0c0133ced512dccbf87e2ca802f.jpg

Posted elsewhere on this forum, my two largest pieces, found under 500kv powerlines:

91nK12G.thumb.jpg.4936b62672d3ff787cc2093498c2403c.jpg

A 400mm dig for a 5 grammer. I love that 18" Elite, it even centered shallow flyshite that doesn't register on my scales:

3GX2xLi.thumb.jpg.b4d98d247f20408e09a2749f3b874e63.jpg

WQ2k8ID.thumb.jpg.00aeeeffebf60f5e73370be5e738da9c.jpg

That's all for now. To be continued - - -

• Like 6

You fellas are simply amazing... Australia makes California look like a tot lot playground...I just found this thred...which is why I probably don't find many gold nuggets lol

strick

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I’m quite gratified that my patience working with QED posts has paid off in that the drama appears to be over. It’s a detector and it finds gold, lets learn about it... without drama. That sums up my basic philosophy for the forum. Now if I can just get the X Coil posts to the same no drama state all will be well and history with QED here proved calmer minds can eventually prevail. Good job everyone! :smile:

I have yet to hear about any QED owners in the States. Surely somebody has made the plunge? I’ve got nothing against the machine personally, it’s just a basic rule for me with any brand that service is available in the U.S. before I consider a detector. And I don’t think it’s ever been FCC approved for sale here in the states so it would have to be an under the radar sort of thing. But that’s never deterred everyone and I would be surprised if some U.S. based PI guru has not yet acquired a QED.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Phrunt what a write up. You should be in advertising (you would get more gold than those micro NZ nuggets) I think you should have a patch lead for your X-Coil so you can use it on  JW  GPZ when he is away building. (You Wish ) :biggrin:

• Like 1

It is not always the tool as you said. I once while looking for a patch specked 20 plus nuggets, and guess what there was two different shoe tracks going though the middle of the spot and no detector holes. May be luck or was it knowing what you are LOOKING for  :laugh: Any way they left me a an ounce plus in plain sight.

• Like 2

Firstly, let me say thanks to Steve for having the patience to give the QED a run on his forum.

When I first met Howard and his pulse induction detector project I was impressed enough to agree to test it for him. Having tested for Minelab for a number of years, I looked forward to a new project. What I was not expecting was the vitriol and abuse for reasons unbeknown to me that were suddenly hurled at the QED, myself, and anyone involved with this new detector. The detractors were almost exclusively anonymous, and their attacks in many cases were personal. I am happy to say that most abuse, with the exception of a handful of hard core fanatics, has died away.

A couple of other thank yous are in order. Simon, of course for his very detailed analysis, and willingness to try a new machine, and Jonathan Porter, who although an agent for the world's best selling detector, gave a thorough and very balanced review of the QED. I'm sure he will find the latest developments a big improvement on the early model PL1 that he tested.

There have been some reports from areas of very high mineralization, Western Australia in particular, of the QED struggling to hold ground balance, and an update to the machine was added to address this problem. While successful in most applications, it did not satisfy Howard that it was the perfect solution. A whole new concept has been tested here in Victoria over the past few weeks by James Beatty and myself, and although we are still awaiting test results from WA, it is fair to say that for James and me, it has been a major improvement. Howard has tried to explain it to me what he has been working on, but I'm afraid it went way over my head. The best I can explain it is that it is a form of ground absorption within ground balance. This improvement, and another big advance will be announced within a few weeks, as soon as final testing has been completed. I'm sworn to secrecy on some things for the moment, but I can say that there are exciting times ahead.

To our friends in America, I sincerely hope that this new and much improved QED can soon be available to you as well. We would love to have an agent over there. To our Aussie customers, one of the new developments will be free, as it is a software update, while another will have a minimal charge as a small extra board needs to be added to the detector. 

My thanks to all who have shown an interest in this great all Australian detector. Cheers.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Forget the 50 barrier go for 62 gm :laugh: barrier then you know you are well on the way. Speed is a problem when gridding. If you can detect a large lawn a lot faster than you can HAND MOW it you are going too fast for patch hunting. By the way most people don't reach the ounce 31 gm barrier. :sad: 

• Like 3