Finds From Recent Weeks

phoenix

Yeah, that bigger stuff mystery gets to me big time, rarely is it there but bloody lovely when it is. I have noticed when it is there it is rarely with the little pieces, seems to be further from the reef that shed it, which goes against ones initial conventional "thinking". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's as simple as big gold having a hard time hiding from a decent operator of a SD/GP/GPX detector and a large coil. The GPZ exploits certain weaknesses in the older systems to find gold they missed, but I don't think big lunker nuggets generally fall into that category. Big specimen gold yes, but not so much the big solid stuff.

But hey, we have to take what we can get - nice finds!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I think it's as simple as big gold having a hard time hiding from a decent operator of a SD/GP/GPX detector and a large coil. The GPZ exploits certain weaknesses in the older systems to find gold they missed, but I don't think big lunker nuggets generally fall into that category. Big specimen gold yes, but not so much the big solid stuff.

Yes, the GPZ is not being used on very many virgin or lightly detected patches in the US.  It seems that a big 18" NF got deep gold and we found out about it.  A couple of years ago we were some of the first ones in Alaska with the 7000 and big gold wasn't jumping out at us in Nome!

The posting of finds has changed a bit in the last couple of years.  People are keeping more quiet about the big nuggets I think.  (Maybe that is just an antidote or excuse!!)

The videos I have seen from Australia show much bigger gold for the Zed from time to time but they are still getting huge nuggets with the GPX from time to time as well so it isn't the detector.

Mitchel

• Like 2

Let's see how many nuggets the GPZ has missed that the Gold Monster will find!  

You won't want to use the Equinox on a GPX, 2300, Z or Monster patch ... go find some trash.

• Thanks 2

On 9/22/2017 at 6:24 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Yes I found a nice 2 oz specimen with my GPZ that was deep. 

As far as the GPZ scoring big gold on old patches the only decent luck I’ve had with it is getting creative and hauling dead trees off, moving rocks, checking inside cactus and crawling under trees and brush. 

Around Rich Hill my favorite method is getting dirty and crawling deep inside brush and cactus and listening for those mellow signals that were too much work for others. Worked for me last year, found a nice 5 grammer standing on end about 18” down under a big tree.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Gold Hound said:

IMG_0735.thumb.jpg.c3cb329a3dd0f0d42bab87b585b9f198.jpg

I think this could be classed as recent and big lol

They are still out there lurking in the depths waiting to be recovered by a patient methodical prospector. 

Incredible! That's the dream right there! 

• Like 1