Won A Nokta Impact Should I Sell It? Vs/ Equinox?

I just won a Nokta impact and don't know if I should sell it and buy the minelab equinox or not. Any suggestions? Which detector do you think performs better?

The equinox isn't even out yet..... The release date isn't even certain....

There is nothing to compare it to realistically... Nothing but marketing hype and speculation.

And no.... I don't think the vids that are currently out about it can be relied on to make a sound purchase decision..... give it 6 months to a year in the hands of those too eager to wait and let them get the bugs out of it... Because you know there will be bugs...

Look at the gold monster.... greatest thing since sliced bread and now issues are arising.

But hey.... It's your money and frustrations when things don't work as advertised.

JMHO..

• Like 2

Johnedoe, 

You are right about hype and speculation. I don't know anything about the nokta impact and it was free so just wondering if I should sell it or not. Just trying to get some  feedback from people out there that know anything about the impact. Otherwise I would probably go with equinox since I'm a minelab guy. 

RD

I don't know anything about the Nokta either..... I'm a White's guy.

You could sell it and put that coin away till the equinox has had some time to prove itself..... just another option....:cool:

Steve,

I will  be using it for mostly Coins, jewelry, and some relics.  In parks and on the beach. Also relics in Nevada's ghost towns. My bucket list, got to get my gold coin.  One of the downfalls is it is not waterproof. And yes waterproof would be great.  Is it better than my CTX? Will it go deeper  and have better separation? 

RD

I am not a big fan of “go deeper” as it does not accurately describe the issue. What you really want is a detector that finds stuff your current detector misses. More depth is one way to get there but also the least likely. A technological depth limit for target id detectors currently exists and most decent detectors hit or come close to the limit. In fact the CTX is one of the machines that defines just what accurate target id at depth is and how far it can be pushed. The main limitation these days is recovery speed and the ability to reveal masked targets.

Your CTX may be the best silver coin detector made, and is an very good salt water beach machine. It is an excellent all around machine. Weaknesses? Slow recovery time so it is not as good in dense trash as the other two choices here (Impact or Equinox). The CTX is also weak as a gold prospecting detector. Either the Impact or Equinox is likely to be better there also. You already have better gold machines though. So really all the Impact or Equinox is offering you worth paying attention to is recovery speed. Both will be an improvement over the CTX for working dense trash.

Personally I recommend you just look at specs and features and go from there. The Impact and Equinox have dramatically different designs and I would have to think that one or the other appeals to you more than the other. It may also be that the CTX does all you really need so there is that to consider.

• Like 1

Steve,

Thank you for your input! 

I totally agree with you on separation and  heavy trash areas. My CTX  doesn't separate very well. I did squeeze a silver dime out the other day in a well hunted area. There was not very many coins and the ones I did find  were old Wheaties and one silver Rosie. I keep leaning towards the equinox when it comes out because  it's waterproof. And then I can take it up the hill from you. I do like that advantage. If the recovery speed is faster and can unmask targets  with the equinox then I think  that's the way to go rather the impact.

RD

I'd sell it and sit.

On paper, the Equinox looks mighty good for the money. Even if you were an early adopter of the Nox and there happens bugs, you still have 4 detectors, like me, so I wouldn't be disgruntled by it as I might if it were my only unit.

The reality is I usually just keep whatever I buy even when I should return extra items purchased, so I doubt I'd get around to selling anything I currently own. Someone else can deal with that. My kids can just have it or sell it when I die.

It's likely going to be my 5th unit, so in my case, bugs? Pshhhht!, who cares? I mean, really.

• Like 1