Brandon Neice ( Dr. Tones ) Detectival / Equinox Report

37 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

I want a machine I can trust and have a good conversation with.

Precisely! I look at it like buying a car. We have speed limits, and every car I can buy will hit the speed limit. So I am not one of those people looking for a "faster car". I just go looking for a car that has all the features I want, knowing that they are all going to get the basic job done of getting me from point A to point B. I know the Equinox is not going to do anything that can't be done with other machines. However, right now I would need at least two machines to get all the features I can now get in one machine. For me I had the CTX and Deus and that is a really complementary pair of detectors. Together they probably exceed the Equinox in overall capability and features for a sum of about $4000.00

I just sold my Deus used for more than the Equinox 800 will cost new. Next up will be my CTX after I move a few other items out the door. I am not about to tell anyone having the Equinox is going to be as good as having both a CTX and a Deus. But for me and how much I used those two machines (rarely) the Equinox is simply a better option for me personally. The Deus design and I just never were a happy pairing and much as I like the CTX it is a pain the only time I really want to use it, which is when I have to pack it for a trip. The Equinox will be a much better travel machine for me and allow me to tackle just about anything I could possibly run into. I have never been able to say I could comfortably own just one detector - until now. Based on the feature list I could sell every detector I own and have just an Equinox 800 and actually be a fairly happy detectorist. I do not think any other detector has ever had a better claim to being a "do-it-all" detector.

Next trip to Hawaii I will be packing my ATX and the Equinox 800. Now that sounds like a great matchup to me!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Next trip to Hawaii I will be packing my ATX and the Equinox 800. Now that sounds like a great matchup to me!

I agree!!

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Just to give John grief there is no way if I were shopping right now that an MXT Pro for $823 is going to get a second look from me as I look at what I could get in the Equinox 800 for $76 more. Those days are dead, over, and gone and it is simply a matter of time before the MXT is discontinued altogether. It is a 20th century detector facing 21st century reality.

Steve,

Well said !!  Part of the beauty of this new detector is the speculation of what it can and can not do.  Will it separate targets better than "X" detector?  Will it go deeper than "Y" detector?  This is all speculation until we all have it in our hands and decide for ourselves.  Until then....let's all relax and have fun with the posts....for Pete's Sake....it just metal detector.

The only two things I do know for sure about this detector are:

1. When the Equinox is finally released, I WILL buy one.

2. The board members at Codan are laughing all the way to the bank ; - )

• Like 1

I hope the Equinox is all it can be, I guess what annoys me is 2 other machines had those big claims and they fell short, and I just don't want to be let down again,

As Steve said I use a machine designed in the 20th century all be it an updated model and since 1998 the best companies can come up with is making newer models waterproof, In terms of performance we are still back in the 1990s,

I really want the EQ to raise the bar because I am sick of buying new machines only to find out they are all the same.

Then just give it up John. If you are looking for some big depth breakthrough ignore everything you hear about until it comes with new patent numbers attached. Your MXT did nothing that many other detectors at the time could do just as well or better. It broke no new ground for maximum depth of detection. White’s just boxed up existing technology in a different way. You were ok with that then but now it’s a huge problem for you. So just give the Equinox a pass and the rest of us a break.

If you mean sheer depth with accurate target on coins then we can surmise that you are going to be disappointed. Minelab will continue to make the CTX so obviously the CTX will offer at least some little edge over the Equinox as regards depth performance. If you did not ditch the MXT for a CTX because it did not offer you enough performance advantage, why would you consider the Equinox?

I guess I am wanting the EQ to be a Silver Bullet, so fingers crossed, If not then maybe a CTX or a 4500 I would be happy with either, but I think the GM is the best thing we have seen this past couple of years. so maybe that is a safer way to go and add a CTX then all bases are covered.

I love the sounds of the EQ and how it behaves in that video,

19 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

I guess I am wanting the EQ to be a Silver Bullet

That’s the problem John. Your wanting it does not make it so. All it does is get you pumped up for disappointment. So who is laying the hype on you - the companies or yourself? It’s like you seeing “up to 40%” in an ad and yet in your mind you think it says “40% under all circumstances”. The two mean totally different things, but to this day you accuse Minelab of false advertising because you misquote and misconstrue the original ads.  

I also am hoping the EQ is a silver bullet.

About 2 years ago I was thinking of getting a new detector to replace my White’s 6000Di. I looked at all the USA manufacturers and was surprised. I saw nothing new. Had a few conversations with Steve because I was puzzled. Garrett and White’s had the same old detectors. Even thought of building my own detector. I seen White’s come out with some new low end detectors and thought they looked good.

Then I heard about a new detector from White’s would be releasing. I heard it was the greatest thing sense sliced bread. Then I found This forum. Best thing ever happened. Good people and a great forum administrator. I waited for the MS Sport to be released and almost ordered it. That is before is started reading specification. I was so excited and then realized it was missing some of my requirements. Lipo battery, USB for up dates just to name a few. Then every one is sending their MX Sport back for repair and software updates. Now Garrett releases the AT Max. Again I was excited and hoped they would fill my desires. They were close. No USB for updates. My bubble was pooped again. Then I started looking at Minelab and other manufactures outside the USA. They were interesting. Technology I thought about was being manufactured. Then I here Minelab is going to sell a revolutionary new detector. I was some what excited again. First thought was no way I could justify the high cost that Minelab asked. The show date came. I was amazed that Minelab hit every requirement that I wanted. Even in my price range. I am looking at the EQ very seriously. Now I here White’s has a new detector coming out. Here I am excited again. Just one caveat. I am going to try to wait on White’s new detector and hopefully it will have every thing I want.