Deus HF Elliptical Coil Strikes Another Spanish Bit

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Another hunt this morning.

In a hard hunted site.
Last silver to come from this side of road for me was a war nickel,,I dug with Nokta Impact using small elliptical when testing it.  And the Spanish bit in the pic was dug approx 11"-14" from where I dug this war nickel back ealier in the year.
There is no telling how many times I have swept this Spanish bit in the past using other detectors and coils including Deus and LF coils, and the round HF Deus coil too.
Ground is drier than previous hunts here.
Could have helped me find this bit.

If folks would have heard this signal's tone on the Deus in full tones,,,I don't think anyone would have expected silver.  Not even me.lol 
I was surprised.
And the depth of this bit?
A mere 4-4.5" deep.

Site is loaded with iron and square nails.
A broken signal and barely audible.

Dug some other things too, but these were dug around 150 ft behind this small patch where the bit was found.
Check out the washer(nonferrous) on the nail, that is how it come out of the ground. Orientation though unknown.
Funny thing in this small patch I have dug 2 extremely old pocket knives previously.
Could that have been a clue,,for old timers sitting around a whittling or whatever.

I am really liking this coil,,,,a must have IMO for older sites,,sneaky little devil.
But one has to be paying attention, not all nonferrous goes ringy dingy.

Got to go back this afternoon later.

Deer hunting for me, just doesn't turn me on anymore like detecting does.
bgry9c.jpg

Little better pic of bit.
2h7i2jc.jpgf

2 hours ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Site is loaded with iron and square nails.
A broken signal and barely audible.

Wish I lived closer -- I'd beg you to let me tag along and learn your techniques.  Almost every site I hunt is loaded with nails.  I know there is good stuff still there but I haven't developed the skills sufficiently to separate them out.  Still working those sites, though.  When I do find another keeper, part of the satisfaction will be knowing I'm improving.

And great finds!  Obviously not only do you know what you are doing but you also have a good hunting spot.  Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

Guest Tnsharpshooter
24 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Wish I lived closer -- I'd beg you to let me tag along and learn your techniques.  Almost every site I hunt is loaded with nails.  I know there is good stuff still there but I haven't developed the skills sufficiently to separate them out.  Still working those sites, though.  When I do find another keeper, part of the satisfaction will be knowing I'm improving.

And great finds!  Obviously not only do you know what you are doing but you also have a good hunting spot.  Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

Are you using Deus and HF elliptical coil??

If yes.

If you want I can type up a good post here, to help you with what I am seeing, hearing, and some recommendations.

Only if you want.

I certainly don't want you or anyone else to think I want or am trying to insult anyone's intelligence.

I will say,,using the HF elliptical,,different than using LF 9" or 11" coils.

So it is up to you.

2 minutes ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

If you want I can type up a good post here, to help you with what I am seeing, hearing, and some recommendations.

I certainly don't want you or anyone else to think I want or am trying to insult anyone's intelligence.

I can't speak for others, but no one can easily insult my intelligence without trying to be an a-hole about it.  Explaining something at a seemingly (to you) elementary level would likely help me a lot, and if not me then someone else who comes along and reads it, whether today or years from now.

Experience may be the best teacher in terms of really internallizing, but it often is far from efficient.  I'm not giving up on experience; just the opposite.  But I've learned so much here that has helped me become a better detectorist and I hunger for more.  If you're willing to write, reading is the easy part!

Guest Tnsharpshooter
5 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I can't speak for others, but no one can easily insult my intelligence without trying to be an a-hole about it.  Explaining something at a seemingly (to you) elementary level would likely help me a lot, and if not me then someone else who comes along and reads it, whether today or years from now.

Experience may be the best teacher in terms of really internallizing, but it often is far from efficient.  I'm not giving up on experience; just the opposite.  But I've learned so much here that has helped me become a better detectorist and I hunger for more.  If you're willing to write, reading is the easy part!

Alright will write something,,might help other HF elliptical coil users.

Guest Tnsharpshooter

My elliptical HF coil saga.

First I recommend folks to stay out of deep program,,instead use hot program.

Hunting with the elliptical in an already hard hunted site,,no brainer use 28.8khz.

Try to stick with either or and Reactivty levels 2.5 and 3.

Open field 2 or 2.5 reactivity settings.

Disc -1, or 0.

Sens 90-93.

audio response level 5.

I like my ws4 vol on 6.

Full tones.

Manual GB running with the ground.

Now when open field hunting,,you hear any tone, even iron,,get your coil centered over the supposed iron. Listen, by centering the target may tone in as nonferrous.

Speaking of tone,,,in areas say where Deus and LF 9" coil has been crawling around,,,,expect a lot of signals acquired using HF elliptical to be challenged tone wise.

Things to listen for.

No grunt, yet low sounding signal even down to iron level,,,,could be nonferrous.

Forget about meter,,use ears only.

Learn how to distinguish iron warp signals,,not easy using HF elliptical.

Running audio response level 5 I consider very important.

The HF coil runs so quiet, and and all tones (noise) produced needs careful study.

Very little falsing if any uaing this coil.

If it squeaks high chance of something made of metal down below.

Don't depend on getting 4 way signals.

Many can be 2 way signals.

With the settings above, this coil in my soil,,capable of striking 10" targets, dime sized. Make no mistake.

Deeper targets will tend to try to go iron tone direction,,but listen carefully, and rememberwhat I said above about no Grunt-key.

Done't sweep too fast even in cleaner ground.

Coil will strike deep with slower movements.

Raspy sounding targets can be nonferrous, the 2 bigger flat buttons provided raspy tone in opening post in this thread.

Bottom line with using this coil.

In a site that has produced previously good finds,,,if a target is not determined to be ferrous by tonal signature,,I mean 100% to like 98%,,, better dig it out.

Now, one thing here to mention.

This coil will fool a person sometimes when a nail is standing up in the ground.

Don't ask me why, it just does it.

And a person will when digging miss this nail too, will be off to the side.

Now, one way to help with IDing iron wrap,,,a good signal when sweeping across, but pivot and sweep and hear iron tone.

If you don't get the iron tone when pivoting, dig out the suspect target.

Lots of signals will never ring their true matching tone (conductive wise).

Can be caused by ground minerals,,rotted down iron,,depth, target's shape and associated orientation in the ground,,and iron masking(nails still intact for example).

This elliptical coil is a dangerous coil in sites with iron, clean ground too,,,because it is so quiet.

Little to no chatter even at 93 sens.

If anyone thinks for one minute they have gotten all the goods out of a site with 9" LF coil using Deus,,,better think again.

Now using 14.4khz may serve a purpose for actual hunting,,but not me,,other than if I were in a modern site and wanted to see of ID would fall on higher meter reading targets.

Using 28.8khz puts a lot more distance between a Deus LF9" coil when run at 18khz in a site.

I don't recommend relic hunters starting out or struggling to use elliptical HF coil to venture using 74khz band.

Best advice to learn this coil,,,go to site you personally know has produced with even moderate to heavy iron.

And a person who is even proficient with 9" LF coil,,if they are not careful when starting out with HF elliptical dcoil,,they will dismiss targets (tones) too quickly as ferrous,,,but the targets are indeed nonferrous,

Last thing here.

And this is a Biggie.

This HF coil for whatever  reason,,,you disturb the dirt, even an intact plug on top of the ground.

If you identify what you think is a nonferrous target tonally, be careful when recovering.

Many, many times, when you sweep your plug you'll get iron tone( and your nonferrous target is in plug),,Deus is actually signaling on your nonferrous as ferrous.

The same thing can happen when you take dirt out of hole too, not as prevalent as above mentioned.

Also, a lot of times when you get a nonferrous hit (might sound muted, or lower sounding(no grunt),, when you take just a few inches of dirt off the top, you nonferrous target may come alive with more textbook sounding tone.

Using Deus elliptical coil,,,the hardest coil I have ever used to make actual recoveries after locating target tonally.

But make no mistake,,it WORKS.

One of the reasons I think my learning curve was accelerate using elliptical HF coil, was I intentionally took my coil to a site that has zinc washers buried( been buried for approx 25 years). When I heard tonally what was going on with them undisturbed,,,light bulb came on faster.

And when I recovered a few, sweeping as I dug,,,again light bulb flashed.

This site with washers was showing me elliptical HF coil tendencies as they relate to depth and ground minerals.

I am not sure how many folks have 25 year old test gardens.

I found me one though.

Will use again with Equinox when I get too.