SDC 2300 Headphone Plug Part Number

rumblefish

Oh, I was calling that the male end. I hate to mess with stuff like that while under warranty myself. Seems harmless but you never know - sometimes any mod is used as an excuse to void the warranty.

Anyway, as long as you had no intentions of submerging the unit should be possible. The nut now doubt releases the fitting but without access to the inner compartment installing anything else could be a challenge, and splitting the case sounds like a really bad idea. Well, for me anyway, you may very well be more technically proficient. I am an expert at taking things apart. Putting them together again - not so much!

The nut and rubber plug come off, but the socket is held in from the inside I think. I'd have to unscrew the whole case to see what's in there. I'll leave that for another day. Couldn't see any details on the socket. It's annoying, especially since the supplied headphone lead is too short. As you said, for upwards of $3500, these niggly details should have been eliminated. I actually gave up on the headphones and was using the visual display as a guide on my first outing with the detector. Works pretty well. Didn't find any gold (was in the wrong place) but a few small lumps of iron, bits of foil and shavings from an old metal tin made the thing light up like the fourth of july! It really is very sensitive.

You lose the watertight integrity if you change the connector (and probably your warranty). That wouldn't be my first choice.

I used to buy stuff in the aerospace business and thought it was pretty clever at figuring out what parts went with what. My god! There are a lot of waterproof connectors out there. To identify the piece ML used, you would have to - a) be very persistent and/or lucky - B) find out From ML - or, c) send the pix to a major distributor and beg some nice person to identify it for you.

Why are the headphones too short? They are the same as all other headphones on the market and longer than some. http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/328-minelab-sdc-2300-headphone-cable-too-short/

Does your external speaker not work? Mine does but is hard to hear in anything but the quietest locations being aimed away from my deaf ear like it is.

Steve,on your 2300 did you find you had a volume problem with it ? You and chris were talking about it when you guys stopped by. Just curious, seemed like the volume on chris 2300 you said was better. Also did you guys get anymore testing on porres gold done?

Hi Rick,

No issues with headphones. The external speaker on the SDC is on side facing away from operator and it puts out insufficient volume for all but the quietest conditions. At least for my poor ears. I wanted to compare my external speaker volume to Chris' to see if mine is any different than his but have not got around to it. I use headphones normally and forgot last time we were out.

And no, I have not tested any of those gold samples on various units. I really need to do that soon.

Thanks for the comeback Steve,yea now i remember the speaker issue,toobad they couldnt have done another location with external,my ears arent that great anymore either like a lot of guys.

The stock headphone are decent in calm conditions but are not useable at all if you have much wind. They are lightweight and hollow and when the wind blows across them it creates a lot of noise. Normally if it is windy I would switch to a heavier headphone or a noise canceling set but the with the connector they used it's not possible. I think $95 is a bit steep for an adaptor but I am ordering one anyway. After being out on a couple of very windy days I now see it as absolutely necessary.