The Reg Wilson Gold Album

On 10/11/2017 at 2:29 AM, jrbeatty said:

Many of the paddocks in that area were pegged and "pushed" in the 80's/90's. I've got some ancient VHSC videotape of such work on my MRC claim at Billy Goat Gully (Kingower) featuring John and Ian with SD 2000 prototypes:

To see the result, check out "Kingower Gold 2"   :smile:

Did anyone notice the gold auras and orbs at 1:45 seconds??

• 4 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

https://open.abc.net.au/explore/69517

I spoke to a few friends in Wedderburn about the Buttericks find, but being 70 odd years ago only a few of the older folks knew much about it. Wedderburn was where I found my first small color with a Whites 6000D at a spot called Schicer gully. In later years I found some better colors, and a 60oz patch. At one time I found two 14oz bits in the one gully. Ian Jaques (one time publican and owner of the Logan hotel) and I worked together for a few years, and found some really good gold in the Wedderburn area. My best piece being 23oz.

The buttericks gold was associated with an indicator which ran from behind the ANZ bank southward towards the state school across the road. Various attempts were made to locate more gold in the close vicinity, but were mostly unsuccessful. Norm Fitzpatrick, a magistrate from Warnambool somehow got permission to sink a hole in Wilson street outside Buttericks house. The 20ft. shaft from all reports was a 'duffer'. Max Knight tried sinking his hole behind his property. (the old bank building) but it also proved a disappointment. Some suspected the run of gold went across the road under the Anglican church, and it was said that the Vicar would get down on all fours, and put his ear to the stone steps to hear any tunneling below. Neighbors were tunneling in all directions trying to pick up the run, and suspicion was rife as to who was tunneling where.

Butterick's indicator runs roughly north south under the town of Wedderburn, and how much gold is still down there will probably remain a mystery.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Are you documenting any of these stories somewhere Reg?  Apart from on here of course.  

Anecdotes of old and your personal stories of gold in the electronic prospecting era would be a pretty interesting read.  

Probably won't make you as much money as prospecting will though  :wink:

• Like 1

Thanks Adam, and yes a book is nearing completion, although we (my wife and I) keep finding more anecdotes to add. We hope to have it finished later this year. Will keep you advised.

• Like 7

• 8 months later...