Backup Detector For Minelab GPX?

Glenn

been camping in az for over three weeks and have pulled out 46 nuggets for about 3/4 ounce cleaning up old areas but my 4500 went down over a week ago and had to send it in, the repair center is less than an hour from me but I can't even get a return call from them to know what is wrong, the man that used to run their center in Vegas was good, so far I am not impressed with the new centers customer service, hopefully they will restore my faith with a reasonable repair this week, I have been using a 2200d with a Joey for the last several trips and although I still pulled out 10 nuggets, it is a real challenge changing machines when you have hunted with the same one for at least five years. As soon as I get my machine back I will be ready to start prospecting new areas, Rich Lampright is heading this way, hope to see you Steve, there is a lot of water damage in the Bradshaws. Been looking at a Whites TDI for a backup, not sure if they are a good machine, any input is appreciatedpost-172-0-52083300-1416669341_thumb.jpg

Hi Glenn,

Glad to seeing you doing well, - those floods must have helped. I am working on my schedule now and will be down soon for a week at least.

I have like new TDI with ten month remaining warranty for sale at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/classifieds/item/15-whites-tdi-with-12-coil/ I should be doing a sales pitch. I am worried though you would not be happy with a TDI. I thought you and Rob gave them a brief spin at Moore Creek?

They work well enough, but as you are finding with the SD 2200 it is hard to come down off a GPX. I guess it really is a budget issue more than anything.

If it were me, my first choice for backup for a GPX would be another GPX, since you then get another battery, power cable, etc. Stuff you can use on your main unit. Recent eBay sold listings of the GPX 4000 are going in the $2200 - $2300 range.

You can step down through used Minelab models all the way back to the SD 2100. The SD 2000 is to be avoided as listed as obsolete by Minelab, but they will still service the 2100 on up. Recent eBay sold listings of the GP Extreme are in the $1200 - $1300 range. I believe Chris Ralph has a lightly used GP Extreme for sale. Most SD models seem to be going also in the $1000 - $1300 range so the GP Extreme looks to be a sweet spot for performance for the dollars. I know JP had good things to say about the GP Extreme.

Personally, my first choice stepping away from a Minelab is a Garrett ATX, which is why my TDI is for sale. I believe the ATX has better overall performance on a wider range of targets than the TDI. The main issue is the physical layout. The ATX is a 6.9 lb arm workout. The regular TDI like mine is closer to 5 lbs and can be chest or hip mounted. The TDI SL is rod mount only, but a very well balanced unit weighing under 4 lbs. The SL is a sweetie but it does only run a half day on a set of AA batteries so be aware of that. The regular TDI usually has two Li-Ion batteries with it that each get about a day of running time.

The TDI does have a huge advantage as an inexpensive backup to a Minelab in that the TDI can run most any Minelab SD/GP/GPX coils. A big plus in its favor that. Some coils may need to have the pulse delay reduced to prevent overload but most will run just fine on the TDI with no special adjustments. Do not put a TDI coil on a Minelab though, the Minelabs are not as forgiving.

The other thing is a used ATX goes for more than a used GP Extreme with recent eBay sales running $1600 - $1800 whereas you can buy used TDI models all day long under $1000 - they run $700 -$1000 depending on model and condition.

After reading all that again I vote for GP Extreme under $1300 used or TDI under $900 used (SL under $800). If waterproof is important, as it is for me, then the ATX is the only real option. Unless money is no object, then get the SDC 2300!

Thanks Steve for the great info, in looking for a backup machine I guess I am also thinking if the second machine was versatile enough to nugget hunt and also be a machine that I could coin hunt around old houses and mining camps, so I guess another pi might not be my best choice, I know the ctx3030 seems to be a hot coin and gold machine but I hate the price for a machine that I might rarely use, is there a machine that is roughly similar to the ctx but that I could find used pretty cheap, I am putting a lot of money in the tracker so I would like to find a backup machine on the cheap

Well, I love the Gold Bug 2 but if the desired goal is a backup gold detector but also for coins and relics, especially aound trashy old campsites, I would go Gold Bug Pro instead of Gold Bug 2. The CTX is pretty much in a league of its own unless you count older versions like the E-TRAC and Explorer. The CTX, E-TRAC and Explorer are multi-frequency units and are not so hot for prospecting though and heavy to boot. Gold Bug Pro is only 2.5 lbs and runs off a single 9V so easy to stash and easy on your pocket book. You can get the basic model with ground grab only (no manual override) for under $500 brand new with full warranty. And dirty little secret is the base model is every bit as good as the Pro model.

Yeah I figure if my main machine goes down I would just shift gears and hunt within the capabilities of the backup but the nice thing with the goldbug is the discrimination to be able to play in the trash which I would never do for long with the 4500. Is the white v3i similar to the goldbug or is it more of a coin only machine

The V3i is a detector nerds dream but you would almost never see one outside of cities. It really is more a turf, jewelry, and beach type machine, though it can be pressed into service nugget detecting. I have a friend did well on two trips to Ganes with the V3i. Lots of units I would grab before my V3i when it comes to nugget detecting though. I have a V3i and it is a top notch jewelry unit. More akin to the CTX 3030 but with way more settings and possible customization. And close to a grand used.

Sounds like you need to check out my updated Nugget Detector Review! Once you head down the VLF rabbit hole you can drive yourself nuts with the options, because so many good detectors will do the job. It honestly boils down to feel and style. Kind of like buying a good pistol - there is one that just fits your hand and hefts right and has that certain look, but if you are a good shot most of them will do the job. See also Gold Bug Pro vs AT Gold vs X-Terra 705 Gold vs Lobo SuperTRAQ vs MXT

After reading your review again, I was looking through old posts for it as I had read it once before, I think I am going to look for a gold bug pro, I think it will fill in quite well since most of the ground I have been hunting is quiet and tons of bedrock and shallow overburden. It also opens up the ability to hunt trashy areas and coin hunt. Your review answered all my questions and saved me a lot trial and error, glad you supplied the link, I enjoy reading no bs reviews, I hate having to weed out bias and hype and I find neither in your reviews, so thanks again and looking forward to hitting some ground with you this winter, I am here till late March or April

Hi Glenn, I have a gp extreme and tdi I will sell...want to try the sdc. As far as the gb pro...My favorite vlf nuggetshooter,I love it. Light,very good i.d.,fast in iron and decent depth and good sensitivity in all metal. Pm me if have any interest in the gp or tdi. Ray