• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By LuckyLundy
      Years ago, when I started to hunt Rye Patch I knew it was well past it’s hey days!  Yet, I continued to see nuggets being found there by others Prospectors!  Our group, finally started to pop some gold after wearing out several sets of boots and skid plates on our old trusty GPX’s. With the new generation of Minelab Detectors, SDC 2300 and the GPZ 7000, it was a new game.  Having cut our teeth on the learning curve of both new detectors on the California side of the hill, we set our sites to Northern Nevada.  Multitude of hours by our group to establish productive ground and techniques with our GPX’s, lead our new detectors to what seemed like brand new patches of gold.  This last outing was no different!  One of our hunting members had a moment of Total Recall and remembered a few years back that we found a few nuggets in a spot with our old GPX’s.  Well we hit the spot swinging and soon our detector’s started to sing back to us!  Now remember, I was out there a couple weeks ago, trying to track down a couple new spots for this group hunt trip.  I didn’t find any new spots on that trip and we didn’t even hunt the old spots on this trip, which I did good on. Now, there is only one way to run the SDC and that’s turn it on, it’s and incredible detector and the operators of it on this trip pulled teens of nuggets with it.  But, you have to know the variable sounds of the SDC when you run the coil over a target that set you apart from others swinging the same machine over the same dirt.  It’s the same with the GPZ 7000, you really can’t run it wrong, just turn it on!  You make it run for you and your inner self.  Sure I have settings, I like and so does everyone in our group of Prospectors.  You have to know what it’s telling you if it’s a target or not, there isn’t many Duck nuggets left in any old gold field(s).  Air testing or burying a test nugget does not reproduce any of these nugget signals (tones).  I’m still learning tones of the GPZ and will never be and expert of them.  The sweet tones of a nugget, I do have lock in my mind is what keeps me and boot makers happy!  Lucky...No - spend the time in your local gold field, might take a few pairs of boots, skid plates and multitudes of digging holes in hot ground and rocks to learn the tones of your settings of your detector.  We had a great time, even though the wind was crazy windy and made Detecting a challenge - Persevere, press on regardless!  Until the next hunt
      Here’s Robin’s and my 2 1/4 day hunt total in dwts

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, I have been slack again at keeping up with my adventures & finds. Since my last one where I went back to an old haunt were I did no good with the Zed back in my early days using JP's conservative settings but on going back recently with Steves Insanely Hot Settings, which I use all the time now, I came up trumps with 6 pieces one afternoon & the next afternoon 10 pieces.

After my last post from finding these I received some tragic news. A very close friend of mine, who I was building a big extension on his house when my first marriage of 14 years feel over. Said for me to come & stay with him & his daughter Rubi. Which I ended up doing. That was 16 years ago. Ralph, my friend was a solo dad with his daughter Rubi who was 10 at the time. Long story short, Rubi had just turned 26 a few weeks ago & a few days later passed away in her sleep. She did have a heart condition which it turns out was the reason. Absolutely tragic. Rubi was the reason Mrs JW & I met. So she will always have a special place in our hearts. When Mrs JW, who of course wasn't Mrs JW back then, had moved to this area & her daughter Charlotte was the new kid at the local school. Rubi made an instant friend of Charlotte & often Charlotte would jump off the school bus with Rubi & play for a few hours at Rubi's place where I was working & staying. Mrs JW, Robyn, who wasn't Mrs JW then, would come up to pick Charlotte up. So we met but nothing was in the making with Robyn & I at that very early stage. It all developed quite a bit later. But we had met & the contact had been made. Rubi & Charlotte remained friends all through their schooling years. Unfortunately due to work commitments I could not make the funeral. Mrs JW did & she videoed it for Ralph & people from overseas who also couldn't make it. I went up a couple of days later to spend some time with Ralph. Poor Ralph, Rubi was his life. She was all he had. Gosh...people came from as  far as Canada, Australia & the UK. Poor beautiful Rubi, gone way to soon, but never forgotten. So sad.

Any way....sorry about that babble.
      On flying back home to Queenstown I had an afternoon up my sleeve. So I decided to go back to this same spot & go over it again. There had been some heavy rain since I was away & damp ground always seems to give an edge with my detecting. Would today be any different?
      I decided to E-bike into the spot. 

Again I approached the spot from the bottom end, working my way up the slight slope. The ground did not appear too damp on the surface but on my first faint signal & digging down I noticed the moisture was down deep.

Down into the bedrock schist & into a crevice. Out popped a bit of gold.

Going very slowly & listening for the faintest of threshold change....that change came. 

Again down in the schist bedrock.

This just kept happening.

No junk...just gold.

And again

👍

Look how small.
      That was four.

I was thinking of calling it quits as I wasn't far from the top of the slope where I didnt think I would have any luck. But I decided to finish the slope. Glad I did as I got another faint whisper.

This one went down to a bit more depth than the other digs. Smashing into the bedrock schist.

Gold it was, & on that one I was done with the slope. I got no more.

The moist conditions gave me the edge....again. Cheers.
      Good luck out there
      JW 

• By Lunk
      I took the new GM24K into the hills this past weekend for its maiden nugget hunt. Although my first time out with it was actually a week prior, it really wasn’t a hunt since I was mainly just familiarizing myself with the features and functionality of the machine and trying out different settings on a small buried test nugget. But after finally getting the 24k dialed in, I did happen to find a subgrainer a mere foot away from the test nugget that day; an obvious zippy target at an inch and a half deep.👍 This little yellow speck won’t even register on my grain scale!

So fast forward to Saturday: I was digging every target or nuance of a target and noting the VID numbers. The occasional hot rocks in the area seemed to lock in at a solid 1 or 2 on the display screen, without deviation, but even the smallest of the subgrain nuggets I found would bounce around into higher registers, sometimes in the 70s or 80s, making it easy to differentiate the gold from the hot rocks. Slow and careful searching yielded 5 of the little yellow blighters.

Sunday I continued on where I left off on Saturday, and although I was finding tiny bits of foil and lead, the gold eluded me all day until just an hour before quitting time. I was in a trashy area littered with small remnants of old timers boot tacks that just screamed on the 24k; they were shallow enough so that a quick dig and poke with the super magnet took care of them. One of the screamers however stood out from the others because it was reading much higher on the VID. First thought was something sizeable like a 22 bullet or casing, but it turned out to be a chunk of bedrock. A quick rinse with water revealed it was actually lithified ancient riverbed sediment containing a partially exposed nugget.😃

Definitely a nice surprise. The 24k sniffed out a couple of subgrainers nearby to round out the day.

I’m really liking the new Goldmaster 24k, a very versatile VLF gold machine with innovative ground balancing technology. It’s lightweight, well balanced, very stable at high sensitivity with minimal coil bump falsing, has a pleasant tone, and won’t easily tip over when sitting on the ground. Good work, White’s! 😉

• By jrbeatty
      While rattling through a cupboard I located a film canister I'd "hidden" once containing these finds from years ago using an SD2200 and 18" DD Coiltek coil.
      The 6.8 gram specimen was found about 50 meters from the monument where that rather large specimen was found by John Deason and Richard Oates. I'm sure they'd have lost sleep worrying about not finding it:

I think the brass object (about 30mm in length with lead backing) is part of a knife handle and was even closer to the monument, buried deep in the brick red clay of the huge surfaced area surrounding it. I've no idea of the nationality but the combination of stars and what looks like a bird of prey had me thinking it could be of American origin- - - ?
      Update: it's a silver handle piece from a civil war era "Liberty and Union" gentlemans folding knife. Thanks again to "Professor Google"
    • By kiwijw
      The Saturdays afternoon detect had ended successfully with 6 little finds. This is the end of that post.

I had to call it quits on that one, but tomorrow was another day....& I would be back to finish off this old haunt...again
      So end result for the afternoon was 6 little bits for 2.59 grams.

I was rapt with that. Sunday to be continued.....
      Ok... so here we go. I didn't get back until the sunday afternoon. I approached this slope from a different direction, coming in from the bottom end. Which is how I came on to it back in my GP 3000 days when I first discovered it. On that day it was late in the day when I came upon it & I did not complete the slope then either on that first day. But I got 13 bits with the GP 3000 on that first assault with the Coiltek 10 x 5 Joey mono coil.
      The day before, Saturday, I came onto it from the top end as I had approached it from a totally different direction. I got 3 bits with the Zed at the top end but knew I would not have time to do the whole slope before dark so decided to come back on the sunday. The beauty of having been successful here with the GP 3000 I knew where the hot spots were & knew where the deeper ground was & of course the shallow ground. I was going to go very carefully over the whole lot with the Zed any way. I was only into it 5 minutes when I got my first faint signal beside an exposed raised run of glacial ground schist bedrock, but on the deeper ground side of it.
      The pick marks the spot. You will notice the direction run of the schist, which is up on edge & how it has been ground smooth by the glacial ice. The direction of that running parallel with the schist & on a slight uphill slope towards the top of the pic. The schist is covered in lichen....as you can see. The ground is generally pretty shallow with deeper "trenches" between the schist outcrops & to the left where the schist is not showing above ground. 
      Hacking into the ground & the schist wasn't very far down before I was peeling it out.
      The signal was still in there so I was very sure it was going to be gold.
      It was
      Not four feet away in some pretty deep soft ground I got another initial very faint but positive hit.
      On hitting the schist bedrock, signal still in there, I ended up attacking two crevices before the signal was out.
      Again....not even four feet away another faint hit. Deep soft ground again. I don't know where that root was coming from....or going to but it must have been leading me to gold. 
      I had only just touched the schist bedrock when the signal had moved. I wasnt that confident of it being gold. The scoop is 12 inches long & it is down about another 4 inches. But gold it was, & not that big for the depth. 
      I then got in among the exposed schist dragging the coil on its edge between the raised schist. Going very slowly I got a good signal. Photo is taken looking uphill.
      Ripping the schist out the signal lived on down. Just knew it was going to be gold. But which crevice?
      Gold it was.
      These bits of gold in among these schist outcrops became the order of the afternoon.
      One after the other
      Just ripping into the schist. 
      Signal after signal. 
      And no rubbish at all.
      Blissful detecting 
      Conditions were just perfect. Grass growth & even bush growth is very stunted due to the end of winter conditions. The spring growth has not yet kicked in. But it won't be far away. 
      End result before packing it in & heading out before dark was 10 bits for 4.62 grams. I couldn't believe it
      Result for both days 16 for 7.22 grams. Saturdays on the right, sundays on the left.
      But wait....there is still MORE to come......To be continued......
      Best of luck out there
      JW