Quest For Silver

Quest For Silver - SUCCESSFUL!

An update on my on-going and repeated search at the above pictured school for my personal quest for a silver coin. 

Last night, I had a nice break in the Pacific Northwest weather, and an hour before dark, so I decided to continue my hunt for the elusive silver coin out of this old school that as previously reported, has given up many wheat pennies.  With my E600/original firmware/Park 1/50 tone/Sens 22/recovery 3 (6 on the E800)/IB 1 (2 on E800) I hunted in the area just below the tennis courts and tree line - which I had previously passed through a few times, but really never attended to in a concerted effort to cover the ground in grid fashion. 

I hunted most of the hour of daylight left and found several memorial pennies (a few zinc, mostly copper), a couple dimes and 3 nickels.  At dusk, walking back to the car, on the north end of the track (which you can barely see outlined in the pic above) I hit a solid 13 at depth.  I pinpointed it, and estimated about 6" depth... and off to the side of the hole, my first silver coin from this location after many hours of hunting this location over the past year.  1943-S War Nickel.  I was not expecting this to be the silver (was really thinking I would find a Rosie or maybe a Merc with a scratchy tone). 

Happy to report I slept well last night knowing my unfinished business with this location now has closure.  :)

~Tim

20181009_201601.jpg

• Like 5

Perseverance pays off again.  Well done, Tim!

You and I are doing parallel work -- new school on the grounds of an older razed one.  What's most surprising to me is that I've found the best coins in places I wasn't expecting.  Seems like your silver Warnick follows that trend.  (Always a 'thank you' to those who post their settings along with the finds.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1