Quest For Silver

After finding my first Merc in a campground, I have spent lots of hours in every one I can find. The most productive areas is in the duff that has been raked off for a tent. I have also talked to neighbors and friends about detecting their yards and just about any place that is not off limits.          I have been on a roll lately.  The Merc in the middle was my first one

Norm

007.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Having taken a run at this school over the past few months with my various machines... to no avail... I am hoping the Equinox will allow me to meet my goal of finding a silver coin at this location...  This will be one of the first spots I hit when my Equinox arrives... more to follow :)

Tim.

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, Tiftaaft said:

59de5de94e4e6_LincolnElem.thumb.png.e2703a355d209cb970f1435d48cd557e.png

Equinox E600 Update on "Quest for Silver"

I have been excited to get back out to this school in an attempt to complete my Quest for Silver using the Equinox.  So, two nights ago, I spent about an hour and a half covering some of the same areas I have had luck in my previous hunts with other machines.  The ground is interesting, and changes from area to area.  Where I found most of the wheats in the picture above... the ground is mostly dirt and somewhat hard at digging depths.  The ground on the lower right of the playground pad is hard packed and mostly gravel.  It takes work to get down even 3 or 4 inches using a digger - and all my machines, Equinox included, false something terrible in this area.  On this hunt, I found two wheats on the left side (where most of the yellow dots are) and one wheat very close to the lone yellow dot on the lower right side.  But no silver... yet.  Aside from the wheats, I also found several clad coins, dimes and copper pennies mostly... and in the same area I have gridded with other machines more than once.  I also found a thin silver ring, and a few pieces of junk jewelry.

My next trip, I will focus on the areas around the old school foot print, as well as in the lower left area of the grounds, where there is an old backstop and lined by old houses on the other side of the chain link border fence. 

As I have said earlier in my post... I am convinced there is a silver coin hiding somewhere in that picture above, and I believe it is just a matter of time before I and my Equinox find it :).  More to come.  HH Tim.

• Like 3

I took some time on Saturday to run my Equinox 600 through the paces again at the site above.  Last week, as I mentioned in my note above, I focused around the areas I had previously found several wheats, and was able to squeak out two as I mentioned.  Saturday, I decided to spend some time around the old footprint of the school and on the right sidewalk strip.  I placed yellow boxes to show my areas that I spent most of the time.  I wouldn't say I officially "gridded" the area, but I did make several passes back and forth. 

Along with the two wheats I found last week, I located two more on Saturday.  I have shown the Equinox wheats as green dots on the pic. 

Another interesting thing is the area off the corner of the playground, to the left of the trees in the picture.  On Saturday I recovered several coins, including two quarters, two dimes and 3 or 4 copper Lincoln memorials - kinda on the edges of the two yellow boxes... I will be spending some more time in that area around the trees on my next visit.  But I found those coins by digging less than solid tones.  These targets were between 3" and 5" max.. as I said the ground is gravel mixed with dirt, so the digging is tough.. but the tones and id gave me a peep, and enough consistency to stop me... but it wasn't a banging target.  Along with tough digging, this is difficult soil to detect... lots of falsing, 3" coins giving iffy signals and id's.  Even the quarters required small short passes to narrow down...

The settings I used were:  Park 1, Noise Cancel, Ground Balance (tracking off), 2 tone (break at 20), Max Recovery (3 on 600), Iron Bias 0.

I also performed a test on my way back to the car on a clean patch of ground (which was difficult to find at this site).  I pulled 2 nails out of my pouch and a clad dime.  I placed them in the following orientation:  I   o   I 

I started with about a 2 inch space between the nail and the dime on each side... and I only heard the null of the nail, no matter my sweep speed.  I spread the nails out a bit more to about 3.5" on each side and was able to pick up the dime in the middle.  I understand this isn't necessarily a scientific test, but I was expecting to be able to pick up the dime a little easier between two nails, especially after reading and watching some of the test results by others.  I did reach out to TNSS asking for some guidance... and he gave me some good ideas.  Any other's thoughts would be very much appreciated.

As I continue to learn the Equinox, I'm sure I will find ways to maximize it's abilities to help with this ground... because my Quest continues at this site.  HH. Tim.

Lincoln Elem2.png

• Like 4

Excellent posts!

i feel your pain. In Tennessee I have done the exact same thing at a school built in the 1930’s. 

At first I did the “drunken sailor” detecting. Walking aimlessly around looking for silver. I did this with the Fisher f70, at pro, at max, deus, Vaquero. Etc.. no silver.

Enter the Etrac. 

I was determined to dig silver. So this area 100 yards x 400 yards long I started grinding. In the middle I ran a wide open screen and found a 9 inch deep wheat, of nice soft sandy soil..... clue 1.

This perpplexed me. Why was it so deep?

Well I went to the county tax assessor office and found an old platt of the area and the school.... low and behold a long gone baseball field was there!

in this area I dug 4 mercs, 5 wheats and 2 Rosie’s... only the Etrac AND Equinox gave me the depth and target ID to find them.

I had a buddy with an at pro.... I called him over.. “Think I have deep silver” he came over.... sweep .... sweep... nothing. The at pro couldn’t even get a signal.

This made me a believer in the Etrac. 

Im going back to this old school and regrid... painfully slow to see what I’ve missed.

• Like 1

Thanks TD!  I have to say I have been guilty of the "drunken sailor" method of detecting.  Haha!!  

Your results just cemented my spending several more hours at this site...  With all the wheats I have found there... there has to be at least one silver somewhere... I will probably painstakingly grid that area where most of the wheats were concentrated.  In my first few hunts there, I also found several clad quarters from 2-4"... so that tells me it hasn't been detected recently... Might have been hit hard with an etrac when it first came out... and all (or most) of the silver was cherrypicked and the wheats were left behind... but it would have to have taken a pretty skilled cherrypicker to snag all the silver and leave copper in the ground.  

Anyway, I will keep hitting it as I get better acquainted with the Equinox... I think if any machine can find an oldie, the Equinox can.

HH.  Tim.

• 3 months later...
On 11/6/2017 at 7:32 PM, inthemountains said:

Oh by the way. No one can turn a detector on in the above photo because it is off limits. Just like to think what could be here and what a cool place !

Have you tried contacting the owner for permission to detect?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By GB_Amateur
      My 2021 New Years Resolution (and I think my 2020 one, too) was to find sites I hadn't previously searched rather than to put all my eggs on cleaning up what's left of familiar sites.  (I still do some of that, too, though).  This year I've already reported on four previously unsearched (by me, that is) sites, all which have produced.  More on those in my year end summary in a month.  Early in November I decided to make one more try for 2021 at finding some new ground and with the help of HistoricAerials.com, I found four promising locations.  I'm going to simply refer to them as sites 0, 1, 2, and 3.
      Site 0 is the easiest to report on.  From early 20th Century USGS topos it was a small (one room?) school that disappeared around 1950.  A drive by showed that not only is it now a private home, but that the intersection where it was located has been seriously reworked, i.e. enlargened.  At best it falls into the 'private permission' category and I'm not at all good at those.
      Site 1, with added help from Google searching, was an elementary school and high school back at least to the eary 30's.  The HS closed in the mid 60's and the elementary school a few years later.  The building is still there but there are mixed signals as to whether it's public or private.  Some threatening signs indicated at least part of it is currently privately leased, but the a__holes are very vague about what is and isn't theirs.  I spent 1 1/2 hours in a couple spots with promising results (see photo of good finds below) but I just didn't feel comfortable.  There was a lot of coming and going by various groups (sports participants, church goers, etc.) and although no one bothered me I just didn't feel welcome.
      Site 2 was another small elementary school.  I don't know when it was formed but it appears to also go back to early in the 20th Century.  I think it closed around 1960.  It's now a small public park and community center.  Unfortunately both my visual (internet) research as well as detecting and viewing the site in person makes me think it's been heavily reworked since the school was torn down.  First hunt there, 3 1/2 hours, produced 2 Wheaties and a sterling ring, plus a fair amount of modern coins and trash.  That was my survey hunt.  My second trip there was intended to focus in on a trashy but potentially less overfilled part with the ML Equinox and 6" coil, but that wasn't very fruitful.  About 2 hours in I was approached by an elderly (81 year old) friendly neighbor who filled me in on some history.  He said he had attended that school as a youngster (presumably around 1950) and told me that although several detectorists had been there before me, as far as he knew they had never searched a slope near one edge of the property where he said he used to play and that bulldozers hadn't bothered.  Now that's the kind of info I like to hear!  I thanked him and headed over there.  For now I'll leave it at that and tell more in the show-and-tell portion of this post.  He twice more returned and told me of some other nearby sites I should search but they all sounded like private properties.
      Site 3 is an active, modern elementary school which replaced an early one built around 1955.  I was able to go there during their Thanksgiving recess.  Unfortunately this site has been heavily reworked since the original school was razed and it also feels like it's been rather thoroughly searched.  In 7 1/2 hours (two days) of hunting I only found 2 Wheats plus one other oldie (more on that shortly).
      OK, here is the eye candy you've been waiting for:

Top two items are from Site 1 -- 1983-D nickel-clad half dollar (only my second ever) and a necklace chain and pendant which was clean but unfortunately apparently (magnetic) nickel plated copper.  Both were reasonably shallow but not on the surface.  Based upon these finds I don't think this part of this site has seen detectors in 2 or 3 decades.
      Now the finds are in pairs from lower left.  Site 2 produced this sterling ring with stones (don't know if real, but they look nice to my eye, and especially to my wife who has already claimed it!).  Thanks to that 81 year old former student I found the 1899 Indian Head Penny on the virgin slope where he used to play.  Turns out the EMI was so bad I had to use 4 kHz on the ML Equinox and its dTID rang up in the high 20's (silver coin zone), not 20-ish where they show up in MultiFrequency.  It was only about 4 inches deep.
      Next two (silver alloy 'Warnick' and broken piece of jewelry) were found at Site 3, showing that there are a few spots which haven't been backfilled.  The broken piece showed up in the USA nickel zone (dTID 12-13 on the Equinox) and given its size I think this is high conductive composition.  Both ends show that they were broken off something larger (bracelet?) and the fact there is zero copper coloring there makes me think this could be a silver alloy.
      Finally, the last two items on the right were found this past week in my bread-and-butter 2021 site, the 'Wheatfield', not one of these four recently reserached sites.  The ring has a men's wedding band shape but is marked '925' so sterling.  (My wife has claimed it, too.)  The IHP is a 1901.  In my two times searching there last week I found 5 Wheat pennies each day (3 hour hunts per day).  I expect to spend my last few hunts this year at that site.  I'm sure there are more oldies and I'm shooting for a record year (quantity) of Wheat penny finds.  I only need 5 more to tie last year's 103.
      The above picture is the 'good'.  Here are the 'bad' -- interesting (?) non-coin finds from these four sites:

And if you want to see 'ugly', you'll have to await a future post. 

• By Againstmywill
      Was out today to a local park and came across a strong 32-38 signal on the Equinox. I raised the coil and it still was loud. I thought it was going to be deep junk, but there were a couple 32s that showed consistently on the screen. I was not aware that 1967 was still 40% silver. 
      Equinox, 15" coil, Park 1, 23 sensitivity, 4 Recovery speed, All metal

• By rled2005
      Trusting His Gut, a Metal Detector Enthusiast Makes a Discovery That Dreams are Made of | Page 33 of 34 | Housecoast | Page 33

• By Dan(NM)
      My sister-in-law was coming into town today so my wife gave me the green light to go do some metal detecting for a couple of days. I decided to go try a couple of new spots. First one was about 45 minutes from the house the second one was about an hour and a half. Neither one panned out so I decided to drive another hour and a half to a place that had produced some silver last month. It was 1:00 when I finally got to do some serious hunting. I kept having a gut feeling to hunt a certain area so that's where I began. Within 3 hours I had five silvers and a couple of Wheaties. I hit a nice spill that had four coins in the same hole, a merk, a silver Washington quarter, a 1940 nickel and a 1936 Buffalo nickel. My little honey hole played out so I decided to do a little roaming around. I went to another section of the park, started off with a couple of Wheaties ended up scoring three more silver dimes. My goal for the year was to hit 100 silver coins today put me over the top at 103. I'm going back tomorrow to spend about 5 or 6 hours and see if I can find a couple of more hot spots.

• By GB_Amateur
      We've had nice weather here in the Midwest the past week or so and after getting out Wednesday I was doubling up on Thursday afternoon.  The curve ball mentioned in the thread title was breaking an ML Equinox 11" coil ear when loading the car, which I described in the appropriate thread.  Fortunately I have both the 6" and 12"x15" coils (but not the Coiltek 5"x10" yet).  I'm detecting a park with not too much iron or aluminum trash so I figured the large coil would be OK, as long as it didn't mess up my elbow swinging a heavy coil through the deep grass.  (Wet and warm early autumn hasn't met with the Parks Department's mowing budget....)
      First target was showing low 20's (typically an aluminum screw cap) and out popped a clad dime.  Hmmm, that should have been 25-26.  Was the larger coil giving different dTID's.  Going back over the hole answered the question -- 20-21 and out comes a Zincoln.  I don't think the two coins were touching but they were super close to each other leading to the anomalous dTID initially.
      15 minutes into the hunt I get a Wheatie, not too deep (3-4 inches).  That's the age coin I'm looking for.
      Maybe an hour later after the typical occasional can slaw, a couple rusty nails, and a few modern coins I got a nice sounding but inconsistent tone & dTID.  From one direction as I swept close to the target location left-right I was getting hi-lo-hi-lo... tones (14-19 = pulltab zone is set for a medium tone whereas 20 and up are high tones; the tone was alternating between these two).  This is not typical of coins in my experience by any means so I'm thinking a flattened, non-symmetric aluminum screw cap.  I don't remember the exact strength indicator value but I'm sure it was at least 5, maybe mostly 6, possibly occassional 7.  I also don't remember the dTID at a 90 degree compass change angle of approach but I'm sure it was at least high 20's (large, elongated can slaw?).  The tone volume told me it wasn't a near-surface coin-sized object.  Definitely good enough to dig.
      Weak(er) signal strength means take a good sized plug so about 7"-8" diameter and 5" deep was my start.  The Garrett Carrot (set at max gain = 3) said I was in the right spot and switching to the fine tuning White's TRX told me I had a localized (coin-like size) target which was between 1" and 2" deeper than the current hole depth.  I carefully cut about a tennis ball sized chunk of dirt centered on the TRX signal's centroid and upon removal was told the target was in that glob.  Breaking it up with my fingers I saw a coin but it wasn't immediately obvious if modern clad or silver.  Again, careful not to scratch I picked off a clod of dirt and saw the familiar (from dimes I've found 🙂 Barber Head.  See middle coin in photo:

Only my 3rd silver quarter ever and 1st Barber Quarter, others being Washingtons.  (Guess I'm going to skip the Standing Liberties.  )  Even better than being 19th Century date was the -S mintmark.  Left coin in the photo is actually a 1919-S which I found the previous day probably less than 10 m away from where I found the quarter.  So -S mint oldies in consecutive days, and neither is particularly common although neither is a semi-key.  On the right is a 1941 Merc which I found last week, so three consecutive hunts with non-penny old coins.  That's very good for me in my current public sites.
      Why the anomalous dTID from one direction?  I wonder if the coin was oriented on-edge.
      So what's the big 'A'?  Some of you recognize this as the Atlanta Braves initial.  For those who don't follow our North American professional baseball, they just won the annual championship (not so modestly called 'World Series') for their first time in a quarter century.  They were underdogs vs. at least their last two playoff opponents.  But there is a detecting connection.  I sometimes hunt in rural areas during Autumn and that is prime (gun) hunting season.  I have other bright (orange) garb but I wanted a baseball cap (easier to accomodate headphones) and I saw this hat at a flea market for $5 a few years back.  I wonder if I can sell it now for a profit.  Anyone interested? 
    • By Againstmywill
      After getting a new coil for the Equinox under warranty, it had its maiden voyage today at the local football field that has been hammered by the other 15"! The dime gave a 31 signal with some iron sounds mixed in; it was down the length of the Garrett carrot. The coil works like the other one, possibly with a bit less EMI. The dime is nothing spectacular, but the conditions were good for detecting and I'll take silver any day.