Amazon #1 Bestseller In Metal Detectors

It changes constantly but right now that would be the Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector

Only $91 and actually pretty highly rated. We always tend to obsess over power on the forums but sometimes it is good to realize the bulk of the market is made up of people with fewer ambitions than most of us. I assume a lot of these are just something to put in a box as a gift for a child.

Before people laugh and say this is a toy, the fact is the Tracker IV completely blows away my very first detector (1972 White’s Coinmaster 4) for power and features and about a third of what I paid decades ago. 

3BB453BC-7957-42D0-95CC-E8F0C530B7F4.jpeg

• Rugged metal detector ideal for detecting treasure in extreme ground conditions
  • Motion All-Metal mode, Discrimination mode, and 2-Tone audio mode
  • Preset ground balance neutralizes response to mineral content in the ground
  • Disc/notch control distinguishes between targets and unwanted metals
  • Rugged metal detector ideal for detecting treasure in extreme ground conditions
  • Motion All-Metal mode, Discrimination mode, and 2-Tone audio mode
  • Preset ground balance neutralizes response to mineral content in the ground
  • Disc/notch control distinguishes between targets and unwanted metals
  • Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging

B8C0F4AE-86AF-41DF-8D88-E91E5E6EEDFA.jpeg40EEA7A0-FCF2-45CE-B66E-2A1A033D90A5.jpeg

• Like 2

Now if the people who buy that detector had some Proper training in regards to detector and target recovery etiquette .......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My first detector was a White's Alaskan TR chest mount... It came with 2 coils... I forget what I paid for it ..

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/gm_alaskan_disc._instruction_manual.pdf?lang=us

53 minutes ago, johnedoe said:

White's Alaskan TR chest mount

Believe it or not I still have one of those - with two coils! I will post pictures one of these days. I have actually been meaning on taking it out for a spin. It is not my original but one I picked up courtesy of my old White's rep, Mary Gladding.

• Like 1

The Tracker IV was my first metal detector.    I still like it.    Sometimes a low gain unit is very helpful.

Mine found this ring earlier in the year.

Mike

TIVGOLDRINGe.jpg

• Like 7

I have to give props to the Bounty Hunter... the Discovery 2200 was purchased for my son as a gift, and it got me hooked on detecting.  We found some nice targets with that "beginners' detector.  :)

• 3 months later...

Steve, I think I've got you beat on the lowest common denominator detector. 

I had a radio shack orange detector when I was maybe 7 years old. This isn't mine - just a pic from the web. The only setting that detector had was a volume knob. It worked and I caught the bug that I've never been able to shake.

IMG_0016.JPG

• Like 3

I still have an old radio shack detector I got as a gift and I won't part with it. Once I learned to use it I found over $300 in clad with it then I bought an Ace250 that paid for it's self in a month.. After that I was hooked

Better yet,  give us a video demonstration of that antiquity in action!!!  :laugh:

We don't mind if you salt the sand box/ sandpit.

How deep will it find a $1 coin???

P.S.  In fact, start a "Minelab vs. Radio Shack" thread.  Now that would get a good chuckle.