Any One Finding Gold?

Thanks Delnorter, 

I am using two belts for a total of 100lbs. Keeps me on the bottom good but hard to get out of the water.

I tend to be really meticulous on the nozzle so as to not get any plug ups and have to get out with that much weight on.

Most of the smart dredgers in the area build back dams to slow the water down.

The water was flowing at 850 ft per second  that day. And I'm working behind a  massive rock out crop. 

I stop dredging at about 2000 ft per second .

The hard part for me is the cold water after 3-4 hours I'm finding it hard to keep going.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, sjmpainter said:

JD, that is just insane small gold! What is that 200 mesh? WOW! Good Job!

:biggrin:... a good bit of it is... The course stuff is about 100 mesh......:blink:

13 hours ago, sjmpainter said:

The water was flowing at 850 ft per second  that day. And I'm working behind a  massive rock out crop. 

I stop dredging at about 2000 ft per second

Seems like you're off a couple decimal places.  1 ft/s = 0.6818 mi/hr.  So 850 ft/s = 580 mi/hr.  Or am I misinterpreting how/what you are measuring?  Are the units ft/minute?

Yes, I am referring to cubic feet per second.

I use a USGS site that may be of interest to anyone working in/around water. I have a link on my smart phone and I can check water conditions anywhere, really cool!

IMG_2353.thumb.PNG.ac309f9ae93a29614dc2ad94b9da6397.PNG

Here is a link https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis 

• Like 4

I did check the hour meter on my dredge and its reading 102 hrs. Looks like it takes a easy 17 hrs. of dredging to produce an ounce of gold. LOL.

Best prospecting partner you can have!

IMG_2344.thumb.JPG.5e28b8487423d9b71b298ae56b826f0b.JPG

Welcome to Cold Foot Alaska!

IMG_2341.thumb.JPG.a725f960f15b7a1953e0ca69428205df.JPG

Some gold in the box:rolleyes:

IMG_2347.thumb.JPG.19a16ef1e8a7536faffd549ccbeb7ea7.JPG

HH

• Like 5

Your killing me...:blink:...... An ounce in 17 hours? Nice production...... :ohmy:

Thank's for sharing you work... :smile:

Really nice gold SJM and a good report of the season.  I know that water is fast and cold, as I can attest to a few days with you summer before last.  Was really hard on an ole Texas boy trying to 'long-arm' in thin wetsuit inside a pair of insulated chest waders!  By the way, you haven't found my clean-out bucket from that one day it washed down the creek, have you?  I'm sure it had at least an ounce in it!