Rock Moving Without Backaches?

Great thanks for the info im gonna definently get a lewis. I got a brand new stihl 461 that can be direct mount and loose that little chain or I have a handful of other saws,  but I like the idea of directly mounting it. Seems like that little chain would get wore out fast. 

461 woohoo got the big boy!

Direct mount is the way to go. Make sure you have a good sprocket on your saw, if not get one they are cheap.

Also get a good strap to tie back with, I use a cross arm strap to wrap around trees and rocks.

Funny thing about getting a Lewi winch - you make excuses to need to move large inanimate objects. LOL.

FYI- do not use a stock bumper as a anchor point! Just sayin.

I went sluicing this weekend. The big boys were using 3,4, 5, and a necked down 6 inch dredge in Indiana. No thanks.

I was VERY careful about throwing rocks this time whilst bending over. No butt problems this time. I did discover that doing leg lifts helps

when the butt / hemorrhoid pain flares up, even just 1 leg at a time, in the evening hours away from the creek. Take it slow and easy. I like the floating tub idea for moving cobbles. It also helps to have the sluice or banker closer to the hole and NOT use a #2 shovel. Less back strain with a 2 foot long shovel and small blade.

2 cement mixing tubs with foam floats attached might work to move rocks too. 2 of them together for a stronger bottom in case 1 cracks and a tow rope handle to pull with.

-Tom

Tom, have you tried one of those back braces?

Stretching and Yoga exercises might sound silly but I think limbering up before and after strenuous work is a good idea.

Finding gold is fun but overdoing it can certainly ruin the next week at work. LOL.

Did you have any luck last weekend sluicing?

On 10/25/2017 at 4:37 PM, sjmpainter said:

461 woohoo got the big boy!

Direct mount is the way to go. Make sure you have a good sprocket on your saw, if not get one they are cheap.

Also get a good strap to tie back with, I use a cross arm strap to wrap around trees and rocks.

Funny thing about getting a Lewi winch - you make excuses to need to move large inanimate objects. LOL.

FYI- do not use a stock bumper as a anchor point! Just sayin.

I usually tend to over do things.lol. What saw would u recommend to mount to the lewis?

I like light weight but really depends on how much weight you are moving.

Check this link out.https://www.lewiswinch.com/choosing-the-right-chainsaw

• Like 1

One of my fellow miners recovered 22 grams of Indiana gold this year, mostly from the one site where I met up with him first time.

He has a photo on Facebook. should I post it here? He uses a 4 inch dredge with air and works alone .

-Tom

• 1 month later...

I would get an aching back when dredging with only one weight belt around my waist... I split the weight into 3... some 1/8" lead lining in my rigid boots (innersole) 1/2 the weight in a waist belt....balance in a chest dive belt harness available from a dive shop.

I also attach the hookah hose to this chest harness... works a treat and I can move rocks and cobbles for hours under water... hands and arms get a bit achy

• Like 1