I'm Calling It Spanish Silver.... Maybe

Rod, I don't know where in PA you live, but it can't be too far from some New England beaches?  The stuff they are finding up there in the rocks after the sand is washed away by autumn storms is amazing.

MontAmmie --

VERY nice find!  LOVE the ring (along with the possible Reale)! 

I just got a taste of beach hunting for the first time (down in Destin, FL); let's just say I have ALOT to learn!  Also, I borrowed an Infinium LS from a friend, as I had considered taking it with me on that beach trip (instead of a Minelab FBS machine)...but...WOW.  Having never swung a PI unit before, that thing was CONFUSING!  I tested it for quite awhile in my "test garden," and I simply could NOT wrap my brain around how to decipher all the noise that thing made, and how to decide which noises "mattered" and which did not!  Sure, I could hear many of the coins I have buried, but I could also hear a bunch of other stuff that was noise/falsing/EMI and who knows what else!  So I gave it back, and took my trusty Minelab!

I am impressed not ONLY with your finds, but your ability to understand the Infinium's strange language so well as to be able to MAKE those finds!

Steve

3 hours ago, IdahoPeg said:

One more month and I'll be there hunting too! The surf has looked really rough on the Sebastian Inlet webcam. :-)

Hey, Peg!  Rough ain't even the word for it!  I got in about knee deep today and I thought that riptide was gonna take my scoop and my arm off right along with it.  Maybe we could go down to Turtle Trail and find us some "real" reales when you get back!

1 hour ago, steveg said:

MontAmmie --

VERY nice find!  LOVE the ring (along with the possible Reale)! 

I just got a taste of beach hunting for the first time (down in Destin, FL); let's just say I have ALOT to learn!  Also, I borrowed an Infinium LS from a friend, as I had considered taking it with me on that beach trip (instead of a Minelab FBS machine)...but...WOW.  Having never swung a PI unit before, that thing was CONFUSING!  I tested it for quite awhile in my "test garden," and I simply could NOT wrap my brain around how to decipher all the noise that thing made, and how to decide which noises "mattered" and which did not!  Sure, I could hear many of the coins I have buried, but I could also hear a bunch of other stuff that was noise/falsing/EMI and who knows what else!  So I gave it back, and took my trusty Minelab!

I am impressed not ONLY with your finds, but your ability to understand the Infinium's strange language so well as to be able to MAKE those finds!

Steve

Thanks, Steve.  The Infinium is just like any other detector, you just gotta spend the quality time with it to learn its language. Once you do, you really won't be digging much more trash than with a VLF machine.  If you live near any sort of civilization, it was probably EMI you were hearing.  Mine will get noisy if I'm close to Cocoa Beach Pier or even a beachfront hotel sometimes.  Did you find anything at Destin?  I'm thinking about making it one of our stops next spring when we leave Indian Harbour Beach.

Sherry

• Like 1

MontAmmie --

Gotcha, on the unit's language.  I'm sure EMI was part of it, no doubt.  But wow, as a VLF-only person for all of my time in this hobby, I just could not get "comfortable" with what it was trying to say to me, in the relatively short time I ran it!

Destin is a real nice place, beautiful white sand and turquoise water -- but don't take my finds as any evidence as to whether you want to try hunting there, or not!  I am clueless!  Plus, Hurricane Nate had things pretty well "sanded in" from what it seemed like to me, and from what others more experienced with such conditions told me after the fact.  I managed about 5 bucks in clad, a junk earring, and a junk necklace pendant, plus the usual assortment of pull tabs, ring tabs, lead weights, zipper pulls, etc. etc.

Like I say, nice place; it would probably be worth it for you to stop and check it out.  The Gulf beaches in north Florida and vicinity are really nice IMO.  I grew up in PA and so all of my "beach experience" is on Atlantic beaches.  Now that I've experienced both, I MUCH prefer the Florida Gulf beaches...

Steve

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Could be a Spanish silver.

I am surprised it is still intact if it has been in the salt water for couple hundred years.

I have dug some bits, part of Spanish coins.

They were real thin without being exposed to salt.

Congrats on your find.

I find Spanish silver to hit a bit lower than our US silver does in USA.

Lower  content silver I think is the cause.

Spanish reales generally for example read 40 conductive on Etrac where US silver dime reads 45.

17 hours ago, IdahoPeg said:

One more month and I'll be there hunting too! The surf has looked really rough on the Sebastian Inlet webcam. :-)

Peg, I thought you did the Gulf Coast in the winter..? Must be thinking of another..

Anyhow, here's the link to the Cocoa Beach Pier web cams (Indialantic, Melb. Bch. & a few other's on here too..) That's me carrying the funny looking half-size round scoop (until T Rex shows up at my door..): https://www.surfguru.com/

Swamp

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Peg, I thought you did the Gulf Coast in the winter..? Must be thinking of another..

Anyhow, here's the link to the Cocoa Beach Pier web cams (Indialantic, Melb. Bch. & a few other's on here too..) That's me carrying the funny looking half-size round scoop (until T Rex shows up at my door..): https://www.surfguru.com/

Swamp

I'm in Melbourne Beach....love it there! Couldn't find your pic on the surfguru site. Any good finds lately? I'm a Newbie at beach detecting, a lot different than my nugget hunting here out west. It'll be fun to get out and hit the beaches with MontAmmie!  Maybe we can all meet up sometime. :-)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IdahoPeg said:

I'm in Melbourne Beach....love it there! Couldn't find your pic on the surfguru site. Any good finds lately? I'm a Newbie at beach detecting, a lot different than my nugget hunting here out west. It'll be fun to get out and hit the beaches with MontAmmie!  Maybe we can all meet up sometime. :-)

No pix there; my fo paw.. Was being cutsie, meaning that's me you see walking the shore line in the live vid feed, d'oh..

Nothing really good for me beachside going on a couple years now, good being gold that is with the exception of a couple ear ring post-with-design of all things.. Overall that's mainly been due to several surgical procedures sidelining me more often than not during this entire time frame, coupled first with Matthew sanding everything in for a year followed by Irma recently sweeping everything bare with the ocean continuing to run high and choppy since.. The couple three times I did go out after Irma were as Ammie recently noted -- fighting rip on no-cut overslope the entire time, which is how it continues to be as you've seen.. The good news is most of what got churned up I believe has yet to be detected; the bad news is after this long in the blender who knows how or where it'll settle when it finally can..? Some of what I have found beaching though during this time is over at NuggetShooter scattered in Bill's "Coins, Relics & Treasure" forum.. Mostly silver rings, bit of tungsten...

Yeah we all should get together.. I don't head down that way nearly as often as I used to simply because it's become such a PITA getting off the beach from there in-season -- which is just cray-cray because the stretch is both a good drop area and the northern edge of the Treasure Coast.. Aren't many places on the planet one stands as good a chance of finding a reale as a ring.. :cool:

Swamp

EDIT: I just realized my prospecting photos are/were hosted on photobucket.. They did that 3rd party thing and I've yet to open another photo account anywhere else.. The durn things most likely aren't viewable.. 

• Like 2