If you buy from Gerry's detectors then you can get training from him and Lunk.  They sometimes train at Rye Patch and Gerry's is in Idaho.  If I were you I would call them up.  Make a deal if possible and then go to one of their training classes.  I think one is coming up the first week in November.

http://gerrysdetectors.com/

If you don't buy one from them and you want to come down to Arizona then buy a Monster from Bill Southern (where I buy most things) and he will give you training and save you the tax and give you a forum member discount to boot!  He has an outing in the middle of November.

http://nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/topic/31130-to-all-my-gold-monster-1000-customers/

You would then have two ways to save and train.

Mitchel

• Like 1

I just ordered the Gold Monster from my local dealer $749 shipped.

Most any reputable dealer will give you better than the advertised price when you call them directly. Especially when you've bought plenty of stuff from them before. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 57buick said:

I'm in Oregon. I've never heard of any classes around here?

Gerry McMullen also offers training classes in the Sumpter area in Oregon, and we train you regardless of where you purchased your detector.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Anyway, that was a tough question. Right now my answer for myself is “have both” but in 2018 it is very likely my Gold Monster will get a lot of use while my Gold Bug 2 may get little or none. It may even find a new home. The question in my mind keeps coming back to whether or not I should sell the Gold Bug 2, while there is no such question in my mind regarding the GM1000. It stays for sure. And that’s as close an answer as I can offer right now. Rest assured, if mastered, they both can deliver the goods.

Marvelous post Steve. Although I may never be able to afford both machines, you have convinced me about the reliability and effectiveness of both. Although the only experience I have had with detectors is the Goldmaster Vsat, I am very comfortable with manual ground balancing, so I would probably lean toward the GB2. It's been around for a long time, as you pointed out and for me its effectiveness cannot be denied. Both you and Lipca's experiences with the GB2 pretty much had me convinced before, but this post you made really clinched it for me. Thanks for taking the time to write all of that out, it helps a lot.  

• Thanks 1