TDI SL And Folded Mono Nabs Some Slugs

tboykin

One of our dealers sent me this email today. NO I don't know the guy's name and YES if I find out who it is you can be damn sure I will try and get permission to go detecting with him next time:

"My customer, (who would like to remain anonymous) a Southern Oregon Gold Dredger that loves to be out in our mountains all year round. He spends his summer weekends in the water with his dredge. A few years ago, he decided to try his hand at Metal Detecting the ground his has been traipsing over for 25 or 30 years. We discuss his options. He has had an MXT for years, but for Placer Gold it just wasn’t going to avoid the hot rocks and cover the tuff ground that he wants to look in. I sent him out with my demo GMT and my personal TDI SL. Clearly the TDI SL was the right choice for his highly mineralized ground. So the machine was decided. He also wanted the right coil for HIS ground. He works a lot of shallow bedrock, also right on the edge of the creek and up the bank often following bedrock. He decided on the SMALLEST folded mono coil we could find with the elliptical shape. His terrain is tuff, rocks and trees in all the right places / wrong places, depending on if something is found.

Fast Forward 2 Years:
He has had a very exciting year. Finding the smallest picker first and getting bigger each time.
He has purchased a second coil to cover more ground and get the optimal depth.
We have also just finished our research for an increased voltage battery for the best performance and longer run time on the bigger coil.

Thank you for all your support
Please enjoy the pictures of your successful product!"

IMG_5509.jpg

IMG_5504.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Tom

I have the SPP and like the SL it's under power. I've got the battery pack and added one more battery in the same pack without any trouble. Then I added another 4 pack of AA's but bypass the extra battery I put in the main pack. I too have the small coil as you from Miner John and a great coil it is. The danger of this is too much juice on the power side to run your detector. I check the voltage before hooking up to my detector.

I can't say I get more run time being the detector so under powered to start with. If it does give it more time in the field it's nothing to write home about. It would had been better if the same battery that was used in the TDI been used here.

I'm sure it had to do with cost but sometimes you can go too cheap and this is one of them.

Chuck 

• Like 1

Great read,i also use the same size and type of coil on my TDI albeit mine is the Pro version,so the battery problem as such is not a problem as such,but the folded Mono is a deadly combination,been using mine alot of late and its become my everyday use coil.

This of course just my personal opinion i have never really been a fan of the stock and 7.5'' DF coils,infact they are as brand new with may be a few hours on the clock but these days just gathering dust in a cupboard,my preferred replacements for them are the MJ folded mono and also the Coiltek 14x9 Mono,both as light as a feather but perform extremely well on my sites.

Of course we all hunt different targets due too various locations,i dont hunt nuggets as we dont have them as such in the UK,but i do hunt low conductivity targets such as silver hammered coins and also roman coinage,this then is when the TDI range and the folded mono coils become deadly weapons of choice and they certainly do hit hard on hammered coins.