Rail Dawg

Rye Patch Claim Jumpers?

We own several claims in Rye Patch and unfortunately we have witnessed something disturbing.

BLM land is in squares next to private land that used to belong to the railroads.

The private land for the most part is owned by some of the big mining companies like Newmont Mining.

Recently there were several prospectors seen on both claimed land and on the private land owned by Newmont.

We have been going to Rye Patch for years and know many of the claim owners.

Prospecting on private land or on anothers claim without permission goes against the "code" we miners hold dear.

They weren't on our claims (fortunately).

We probably should have stopped by and asked if they had permission but we aren't the police and didn't want conflict.

I'm posting this here because "claim-jumping" from what I understand is a felony.

Perhaps these prospectors had the required permission but if not any gold obtained is basically stealing...

Something most of us are very much against.

Not sure what to do the next time we see these types of prospectors although if they are on our claims I know very well what we will do.

Any advice appreciated.

" but we aren't the police and didn't want conflict." ......................... good judgment

"Perhaps these prospectors had the required permission " .....................  maybe they did?

My advice is that unless you know a crime is being committed,  don't do anything. 

Now, you could contact the owners and say, "I see you are giving permission to detect on your claim/property. Could I get permission too"

By asking, you may be the only one that ends up getting permission.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LipCa said:

" but we aren't the police and didn't want conflict." ......................... good judgment

"Perhaps these prospectors had the required permission " .....................  maybe they did?

My advice is that unless you know a crime is being committed,  don't do anything. 

Now, you could contact the owners and say, "I see you are giving permission to detect on your claim/property. Could I get permission too"

By asking, you may be the only one that ends up getting permission.

Without going into detail I will say that we know now they did not have permission from either Newmont Mining nor the Claim Owners.

I called to ask Newmont and they frown on prospecting as there is a liability issue on their private land.

We have installed a few game cameras because of other claim-jumpers on our claims several months ago.

We did run their plates and were able to contact them.

It was a friendly conversation and they agreed not to trespass on our hard-won claims.

I do hate to be like this.

But the laws are there for a reason as is our code.

• Like 2

I also used game cams I'm the past and swear by them. 

Recently I was granted permission in writing on a private land where I work. There is a family that owns it and plans to mine it as well. I helped set game cams to catch those who are without permission. We have gone as far as turning them (the law less prospectors) over the the local law enforcement. There is an on going problem in that area with theft and vandalism. So now we are able to positively ID some of these people. 

I hate to be that way but it's best to teach a lesson. 

Pershing County (Rye Patch) Sheriff will write citations based on video evidence.

At Rye Patch we only called the claim-jumpers and told them next time we'll press charges.

It's not that hard to do it right and get your own claim.

• Like 2

Hey Rail Dawg,

If you see any claim jumpers on my two 20-acre claims in NE Sec 18 run them off! Those claims were expensive. I was out there in May and a neighboring claim owner stopped by and we talked...he had to run some guys off my claims. They dug holes without back filling them, left a pick and Kellyco bag....my buddy has them now.:angry: 

Bill Moore

Laporte, CO.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cobill said:

Hey Rail Dawg,

If you see any claim jumpers on my two 20-acre claims in NE Sec 18 run them off! Those claims were expensive. I was out there in May and a neighboring claim owner stopped by and we talked...he had to run some guys off my claims. They dug holes without back filling them, left a pick and Kellyco bag....my buddy has them now.:angry: 

Bill Moore

Laporte, CO.

We're with you Bill!

We also have claims in the NE of Section 18 (also Section 8).

Absolutely no tolerance for claim-jumpers.

Just glad the sheriff is willing to write citations.

• Like 2

If the claims are clearly and properly marked I doubt many people will chance jumping on to a claim especially one like section 18. Section 19 has plenty of detectable gold and it's not claimed. Also Dan kindly offers his GOOD claims to anyone for 20 bucks a day. 

A simple google search shows that " running plates" is illegal. So if your running plates I wouldn't advertise that. None of the land is marked no trespassing. Owning a claim is different from owing the land. 

Also so if I see a game camera laying around on on unmarked land it's going in my backpack. 

Best solution is to clearly mark your claims. I doubt many people are interested claim jumping the sections you have. 

Make friends with the local people. 

You catch more flys with honey.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, benzyoc said:

Also so if I see a game camera laying around on on unmarked land it's going in my backpack.

I would not take a camera that does not belong to me. It might belong to a hunter or is there for some other reason, maybe monitoring cattle by those who graze there.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Clay Diggins
      It's that time again. The August 31 deadline to make your required annual mining claims filings is only a month away.
    • By Noah (FL)
      EDITED.........For a first timer just doing some experimental nugget hunting would it be worth a GPAA membership for access to the claims or just doing some research and hunting BLM land?  Will be in Phoenix visiting a friend after a work trip that ends in Vegas. I am entertaining renting a car instead of flying and trying my luck for nuggets along the way!  
      Thanks...Noah

What group/club is best for AZ or NV gold detecting claims???   First time detector prospector looking for a nugget!!!
      Relic/coin hunter from Florida planning a vacation.    Thanks
    • By HardPack
      The recent post on "Lode Claims" discuss a interesting and important subject on involving lode & placer mining claims and access. Beside the good information it demonstrates just how serious miners are about their claims holdings.  So make sure you get "express written permission" from the mining claim owner(s) before entering onto their claims to prospect and/or detect.
      A word of advice leave your pets and firearms at home and take your trash out with you.  If you agree to share a portion of your finds with the owner(s) keep your word.  Don't close the door for the next person.
      So how do you contact a claim owner(s) to get permission to prospect/detect on a open active mining claim. There are several members far more update on these BLM websites than me and will fill in most of my mistakes and omissions. This should at least get us headed down the road.
      Using Foxfire as the browser ( these websites are not user friendly so use the BLM Tutorial and type in information exactly as indicated per the LR2000 samples; use all Caps.
      For overall claim filing information and location description (lode & placer); Booklet
      http://www.BLM.gov
      On the left margin click on "What we do" then hit "more"; scroll down to the following two topics: Mining and Mineral; Mining Claims and Sites on Federal Lands.
      https://navigator.blm.gov/home
      Click on the "Inactive map" located in the upper center of the page; you will see a tool bar along the top of the map for zooming in & out and panning.
      On the right margin click the "PLSS" button for bring up meridian, township, range, section grid on the inactive map; click on the +zoom in then click on the ma to move to the area (state) you want; write down the "median, township, range and section" numbers.
      http://www.BLM.gov/lr2000
      Located on the left margin click through  and read  “Tutorial”, “Help Guides”, “Reference Codes”
      Click on “Run Reports”.  Scroll down to “Public Mining Claims Reports”
      Click on “Pub MC Geo Index”
      Click the “Meridian Township Range Section *” and ” County” buttons;
      Click “Select Criteria” at the bottom 
      The “Mandatory Criteria” window will pop up.
      Click on the “Set” button for each criteria then the “Close” after selecting or entering the information requested.
      “Admin State” select a state from the scroll down window; Close
      In “Case Disposition” select “Active”; Close
      The “Meridian Town Range Section” (MTRS) window has a MTRS Format sample located on the upper left; use all Caps; enter the information in the box just below “Clear Above Valves” then hit the check button. You can run more the MTRS at a time; click the “Select All” button; Close
      “County” select a county from the scroll down window; Close
      click “Run Report”
      Confirm your selections then click” OK”
      The report will include claim names, number, location by MTRS down to the NW, NE, SW, SE corner of the section per page# 10 of the BLM booklet “Mining Claims & Site on Federal Lands”.
      Clicking a  “claim number” of any individual claims will bring the claim document; the claim owner(s) are listed by name, address and zip code; including the claim size in acres.
      The county “Recorders Office” of the county where the claim is located will have copy on file of the claim owner(s), address, claim size, type, and specific location in the section (booklet page#10 sample: 20 acre Placer Claim E 1/2 NE 1/4 NE 1/4 per section, township, range, meridian.)
      or you can just join a prospecting and/or detecting club in your area of interest.
      Good Luck

• By Rege-PA
      Maybe some of you already know about this and have the phone to support it. I have one of the flip phones that nobody wants to steal, so it really amazes me. On his phone he dials up google earth map and it instantly it brings up the boundaries, acreage and name & address of the owner.
      It would be fantastic to have the same ap for claims, showing owner and boundaries, no more accidental trespassing.
    • By Clay Diggins
      As they do twice a month Land Matters updated their free Mining Claims Maps. That claims map information is current as of January 1st.

The mining year is now four months along. In the last 4 months there were 6,479 mining claims closed and 14,854 new claims located as of January 1, 2018.

That's a net gain of 8,375 new mining claims in the first third of the 2018 mining year!

As of January 1, 2018 there were 391,907 active mining claims in the BLM database.

That's a big number but it represents less than 1% of all the public lands.
    • By Clay Diggins
      A lot of prospectors have an interest in exploring closed claims. I'm not a big fan of spending time looking for closed claims for the simple reason that most claims made never produced any valuable minerals. The fact that a claim was previously located is not an indicator of valuable minerals. After all if the claim owners didn't bother to keep the claim active it probably wasn't worth having.
      There are of course exceptions to that theory but a closed claim on it's own doesn't excite me. I need to know more before I'm going to chase after previously claimed ground. There were more than 44,200 mining claims closed last year alone, that's way to many to make it worth anyone's time to read through without trimming out the thousands of recent claims.
      Twice a month I do compile all the claim closures updated during that half month. To get any value out of those thousands of closed claims I need to sort them out on some reasonable basis. With the twice monthly Claims Advantage Report it is possible to interactively sort those recently closed claims by Location (State, County, TRS), Claim Name, Claim Type, Closure Date as well as Year Located and Years Held.
      Sorting the Report by Location allows me to watch certain areas of particular interest to me. Only the Claims Advantage reports allow you to see that information on a current basis, the LR2000 doesn't have that information so that feature is helpful. Once I see a claim being closed in an area of interest I can zoom to a custom map of the closed area right from a button on the Report claim listing. That allows me to see other claims in the area as well as check land status by downloading the Master Title Plat from the map. I can also load the current Serial Register report page from a link on the report. That doesn't complete my research of the area but it does give me enough information to decide if it's worth my time to search the County Recorder for Claim Records.
      That's pretty cool to have all that information available with a couple of clicks. I use the reports a lot myself. The real power of these Reports starts to shine when I sort by Year Located or Years Held. Remember how I said how most claims made never produced any valuable minerals? Well that doesn't really apply when you see someone has maintained a claim for many years. It makes me sit up and take notice when I see a claim that has been held for anywhere from 20 years to 125+ years. THAT is information I can use!
      Being that I keep all this information on hand I can sort this information on a much longer timeline than the half month available in the Claims Advantage Reports. By sorting for all the Closed Claims that were held for at least 20 years or more AND were located on now unclaimed land I can see the claims that people valued and kept that are now open to location. That may sound like there wouldn't be that many established closed claims on productive ground right? Well surprise surprise! There are nearly 20,000 placer claims that meet that standard!
      Naturally I share this information with my favorite charity Land Matters and naturally Land Matters makes this information available to it's Claims Advantage Members.
      Here's a brief look at how these claims stack up in each State:

Surprising isn't it?
      Here's a quick heat map to show the general location and density of all these open areas:

Here's a link to an online interactive map so you can look a little closer.
      That's a whole bunch of open ground with a HIGH potential for valuable minerals. Whether you are looking for open ground to prospect or are researching for a potential new claim looking at this closed claim information from a more organized and selective angle can really pay off. If you are looking for an edge the Historical Placer Claims Report is a good start.