Jump to content

Rye Patch Claim Jumpers?


Rail Dawg

Recommended Posts

We own several claims in Rye Patch and unfortunately we have witnessed something disturbing.

BLM land is in squares next to private land that used to belong to the railroads.

The private land for the most part is owned by some of the big mining companies like Newmont Mining.

Recently there were several prospectors seen on both claimed land and on the private land owned by Newmont.

We have been going to Rye Patch for years and know many of the claim owners.

Prospecting on private land or on anothers claim without permission goes against the "code" we miners hold dear.

They weren't on our claims (fortunately).

We probably should have stopped by and asked if they had permission but we aren't the police and didn't want conflict.

I'm posting this here because "claim-jumping" from what I understand is a felony.

Perhaps these prospectors had the required permission but if not any gold obtained is basically stealing...

Something most of us are very much against.

Not sure what to do the next time we see these types of prospectors although if they are on our claims I know very well what we will do.

Any advice appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


" but we aren't the police and didn't want conflict." ......................... good judgment

 

"Perhaps these prospectors had the required permission " .....................  maybe they did?

 

My advice is that unless you know a crime is being committed,  don't do anything. 

 

Now, you could contact the owners and say, "I see you are giving permission to detect on your claim/property. Could I get permission too"

By asking, you may be the only one that ends up getting permission.

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LipCa said:

" but we aren't the police and didn't want conflict." ......................... good judgment

"Perhaps these prospectors had the required permission " .....................  maybe they did?

My advice is that unless you know a crime is being committed,  don't do anything. 

Now, you could contact the owners and say, "I see you are giving permission to detect on your claim/property. Could I get permission too"

By asking, you may be the only one that ends up getting permission.

 

Without going into detail I will say that we know now they did not have permission from either Newmont Mining nor the Claim Owners.

I called to ask Newmont and they frown on prospecting as there is a liability issue on their private land.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have installed a few game cameras because of other claim-jumpers on our claims several months ago.

We did run their plates and were able to contact them.

It was a friendly conversation and they agreed not to trespass on our hard-won claims.

I do hate to be like this.

But the laws are there for a reason as is our code.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also used game cams I'm the past and swear by them. 

Recently I was granted permission in writing on a private land where I work. There is a family that owns it and plans to mine it as well. I helped set game cams to catch those who are without permission. We have gone as far as turning them (the law less prospectors) over the the local law enforcement. There is an on going problem in that area with theft and vandalism. So now we are able to positively ID some of these people. 

I hate to be that way but it's best to teach a lesson. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey Rail Dawg,

If you see any claim jumpers on my two 20-acre claims in NE Sec 18 run them off! Those claims were expensive. I was out there in May and a neighboring claim owner stopped by and we talked...he had to run some guys off my claims. They dug holes without back filling them, left a pick and Kellyco bag....my buddy has them now.:angry: 

Bill Moore

Laporte, CO.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, cobill said:

Hey Rail Dawg,

If you see any claim jumpers on my two 20-acre claims in NE Sec 18 run them off! Those claims were expensive. I was out there in May and a neighboring claim owner stopped by and we talked...he had to run some guys off my claims. They dug holes without back filling them, left a pick and Kellyco bag....my buddy has them now.:angry: 

Bill Moore

Laporte, CO.

We're with you Bill!

We also have claims in the NE of Section 18 (also Section 8).

Absolutely no tolerance for claim-jumpers.

Just glad the sheriff is willing to write citations.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the claims are clearly and properly marked I doubt many people will chance jumping on to a claim especially one like section 18. Section 19 has plenty of detectable gold and it's not claimed. Also Dan kindly offers his GOOD claims to anyone for 20 bucks a day. 

A simple google search shows that " running plates" is illegal. So if your running plates I wouldn't advertise that. None of the land is marked no trespassing. Owning a claim is different from owing the land. 

Also so if I see a game camera laying around on on unmarked land it's going in my backpack. 

Best solution is to clearly mark your claims. I doubt many people are interested claim jumping the sections you have. 

Make friends with the local people. 

You catch more flys with honey.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, benzyoc said:

Also so if I see a game camera laying around on on unmarked land it's going in my backpack.

I would not take a camera that does not belong to me. It might belong to a hunter or is there for some other reason, maybe monitoring cattle by those who graze there.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...