Rye Patch Claim Jumpers?

Thank you Barry,

i appreciate your comments and insights. I do support Land Matters and also subscribe to Mine Cache that does a Google Earth overlay but is not detailed enough to show the exact boundaries of individual claims. For $30 a year it is OK as a starting point. I would pay more for a detailed subscription.

I ultimately put the burden back on the government for not making this data user friendly. The government should be able to have an automated real-time mapping system. We live in a world of big data, analytics and graphics. Claim holders should get something for their money other than having to support big government salaries, benefits and pensions.

Would the government support a grant to Land Matters to do this? Perhaps as a for-profit subsidiary? My venture capital backed companies get NSF and SBIR grants all the time. 

In short I greatly appreciate your detailed response.

Randy

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

This is why I end up giving up on prospecting. I come back to it every 10 years or so and try all over again to figure out the claim maps, all the regulations and laws concerning recreational mining, etc. When I do think maybe I have a spot figured out and go up in the hills I worry the whole time that I got something wrong or I'm not where I think I am.

I don't go up in the mountains so I can worry and stress so I end up chucking all the stuff back in the closet and take up some other hobby. If the goal is to kill recreational mining as a hobby everyone involved has done a great job. 

Obviously I've reached the point of frustration again. That's the main reason I'm focusing on jewelry, at least I can figure out the rules in that pursuit. 

I also have a couple possible nugget spots picked out. As far as I can tell it's BLM and has no placer claims. I'll probably go up eventually,  and I'll worry the whole time I missed something and am pissing off someone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I just reread this thread again.

It's a primer in a. correct methods for researching whether land is open or claimed, b. a jaw-droopingly detailed set of explanations by Clay Diggins who singlehandedly shows once again why Land Matters is one of most valuable tools for anyone interested in prospecting and mining, c. this has been an unusually level-headed discussion that could serve as a model for some other chats that are going on currently.

I am joining Land Matters because, even though we all may not be claim locating, by supporting their work the benefits flow to all of us.

Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 8.39.33 AM.jpg

• Like 6

I live in Reno and I am a member of the GPAA and would love to go out and detect with someone who has been there before. I went about 2 months ago and used my phone as a gps and it took me to some place that looked like an actual mining place. Needless to say I didn't detect like I planned to so my kids were bummed even though they are a bit older (teens).  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

In a perfect world the claims would all be marked so one would not to avoid them. Ive been to area a couple times, some claims have signs posted for no detecting and "video surveillance" so I avoided those spots,  I am sure many claims aren't marked though. Just endless desert as far as eye can see in all directions.  Unless there is a easy way to overlay up to date claim lot borders onto a Garmin handheld GPS unit?

30 minutes ago, alaskaseeker said:

Make sure your claim boundaries are properly marked....

Literally square one...

3 hours ago, alaskaseeker said:

Make sure your claim boundaries are properly marked....

It’s a two way street. Properly marked keeps the honest folks out but one of my claims got hammered after I put signs up. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, desertpilot said:

It’s a two way street. Properly marked keeps the honest folks out but one of my claims got hammered after I put signs up. 

It seems to be a fairly common criminal activity for some people, just helping themselves to land that is unsupervised. I know there are some folks who make a mistake and can't tell the land is claimed, but there are other people who are obviously predatory and know exactly what they are doing; claim jumping.

• Like 2