Rye Patch Claim Jumpers?

The so called "railroad lands" still remain a mystery to me.  They are marked on the LM map as managed by the BLM yet do not seem to be open for mineral claim (or they would be claimed to a certain extent).  So exactly what is their status?  I have never seen or heard a reasonable explanation.  Like Mitchel, when detecting Rye Patch I have assumed these lands were open for detecting.  I also assume if they were actual privately owned land they would show up that way on the land status map.  Looking for a definite answer.

14 hours ago, benzyoc said:

If the claims are clearly and properly marked I doubt many people will chance jumping on to a claim especially one like section 18. Section 19 has plenty of detectable gold and it's not claimed. Also Dan kindly offers his GOOD claims to anyone for 20 bucks a day. 

A simple google search shows that " running plates" is illegal. So if your running plates I wouldn't advertise that. None of the land is marked no trespassing. Owning a claim is different from owing the land. 

Also so if I see a game camera laying around on on unmarked land it's going in my backpack. 

Best solution is to clearly mark your claims. I doubt many people are interested claim jumping the sections you have. 

Make friends with the local people. 

You catch more flys with honey.

Hey benzyoc,

Two years ago I installed six 4 x 4 wooden posts with concrete footers and the proper yellow claim marker signs on my 40 acres...those claim jumpers don't respect or care about private claims. :angry:

Bill

Im pretty sure that the odd sections there are BLM surface managed, but mineral rights are held by Newmont.

Otherwise it would be solid claims on those sections.

A few  years ago a guy had a lease from them and dug up a bunch of the washes.

The deer and the antelope still play in Rye Patch.  I've been there many times during the winter months and seen them.  

BLM is concerned with more than just minerals when they manage the land.  I think in this particular area they've cut a deal with the mineral owners (big mining companies) to manage the land with all the other sections for the benefit of the wildlife.  If you look outside of this area you will see the checkerboard of private and public lands is still in effect.  You will have to look that up on My Land Matters. (Give them a few bucks for taking difficult BLM files and making it easy for us to understand.  I do.)

A few nuggets on the surface (less than 2 feet) is of little concern to a mining company.  Mining companies want deposits, not nuggets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

CoBill,

I believe, I talked to you and your GrandSon out in Rye Patch a month or more back.  If I remember right you didn’t have much luck.  Your claim is on a main road with one of your claim markers.  That would be a great place for you to place a map of your claim for Folks that are new to our hobby.  Kind of like rest stop maps, your Here!  My claim boundaries are within the Highlighted area.  Remember only One Percent of Folks out there can understand claim paperwork.  Just like only One Percent of Folks consistently find nuggets.  Again, your claim was hunted for the last 25 years by the best in our hobby.  I’m sure there are a few more left for you and your GrandSon to share the hunt in finding!  But, the Hey Day’s of Rye Patch are long gone.  Yet again, remains easy access for new folks to our hobby to have a chance of digging up a nugget!  I’m more than happy for you and Rail Dawg in claim ownership.  Instead of threatening verbiage try educating the young enthusiast in our hobby!  Hope to see you in the goldfields with a big smile on your face and a sweet nugget to go along with it.

LuckyLundy

• Like 6

A claim entitles the claimant to the mineral rights, nothing else, and taking a photo of someone lic. plate just proves the camera works, nothing else. Try photographing someone removing minerals if ya want to prove something, and good luck with that

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey LuckyLundy,

That wasn't me in RP that you met. I only acquired my claim in 2016 and only have a few weeks a year to prospect..

Some background- Major Corporations have owned Sec 18 since the early 1970's. First by Saundra Lee in 1974, then Apollo Gold, and since 2007 Jipangu Gold Corp. Sec 18 became open to claim in 2016, when Jeff Dunmire acquired and then sold the 20-acre claims.

So basically, if anybody has been metal detecting Sec 18 in the last 40 years without written permission from one of those corporations, they were higrading.

32 minutes ago, Clay Diggins said:

Please learn to do your own due diligence. Please respect mineral owners rights, those minerals are their private property under the law.

Thanks Barry for all your efforts on Land Matters.

Bill

• Like 1