White's Mx7 & MX Sport Compared

This specification comparison chart is derived from the White's MX7 Owner's Manual and the White's MX Sport Owner's Manual. Everything is pretty straight forward. The asterisks note that the MX7 weight with batteries is derived from the manual. The MX Sport manual is unclear on whether batteries are included in the weight and my personally weighing the MX Sport with batteries suggests the answer is no. The MX Sport with batteries weighs 4.23 lbs. as weighed on my postal scales. I can't vouch for the MX7 weight as listed in the manual. Current internet price for MX Sport is $749.00 and MX7 $549.00

I think it is fair to say looking at the specifications that this is a MX Sport in a lighter weight, better balanced and less expensive package. The only real operational difference is the MX Sport comes with a 10" round DD epoxy filled coil and the MX7 a 9.5" round lightweight concentric. This would make the MX Sport out of the box better configured for water hunting and severe mineralization. The MX7 is better configured for park and other dry land detecting in mild to moderate mineralization. Both units can use the same coils.

More MX7 Details Here

White's Electronics MX7 compared to MX Sport
whites-mx7-mx-sport-specifications-compared.jpg

whites-mx7-metal-detector-studio.jpg
White's MX7 metal detector

whites-mx-sport-metal-detector-waterproof.jpg
White's MX Sport metal detector

If it wasn’t for the rain and waterproof I’d say they got to be twins. Just the MX 7 was born later.

Another detector at a great price that I’m trying to get a friend to buy when it comes available.

Chuck

Maybe more of a question for White's:  why NiCad instead of NiMH (which came with my TDI/SPP)?

I have the SPP now and if it wasn’t for the recharge batteries one couldn’t afford using it. You take the MX 7 or Sport they give you 20 hours hunt time and the other maybe 4 to 5 hrs.

White’s is wanting to sell a product as low as possible and everything you add jacks up the price. It’s not stopping anyone from buying what they want.

Chuck

PS it’s whatever makes you happy or whatever blows your dress up.

The detectors come with regular AA batteries with rechargeable batteries as an option. You could use the NiCad option I suppose but most people use NiMH rechargeable these days. From the manual above:

“Tips on Batteries

The MX 7 operates for more than 40 hours (without backlight and with headphones) using eight quality “AA” batteries. High-quality “AA” alkaline batteries are recommended. Rechargeable NiCad, Nickel Metal Hydride, or other similar “AA” substitutions work well. Batteries near or above 2 volts per cell and higher are not recommended. Battery life will change with battery type, operating temperature, and backlight use. Lowering the volume of the built in speaker or using headphones extends battery life.”

White’s does offer a NiCad battery pack option for the MX7 but you can just use any rechargeable AA battery you want and put in the AA battery holder.

I do think if that is where the question was headed that White’s should get out of the NiCad game and go NiMH only. I would never buy a NiCad pack myself. Every NiCad I ever owned went bad before I ever really got my money’s worth out of them. When I sold my DFX used I had to note the NiCad pack was no good.

4B224DA4-785E-4855-8EF8-8FCB7DA8FF3F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We see looking at the MX 7 and the MX Sport is the big thing between them is the price. Looking at both side by side I’d could have been just as happy with the MX 7 and two hundred richer. I could have lived without the waterproof if I wanted to get my feet wet. Now don’t get me wrong I wasn’t going to throw my MX Sport in the trash. It’s just I have another that’s waterproof and good deeper than I want to dive.

The way I look at it White’s made a great move for their pocket book. Christmas will be here before we know it and the MX 7 will stand out as a great buy. I don’t care who you are we all count our pennies at Christmas time,

A guy like me buys his own Christmas gift anytime of the year he wants. In that way I know I’ll get what I want.

The best to each and everyone of you

Chuck

• Like 1

Chuck, I am with you in that I shop for my own Christmas in order to get what I want, and 'Christmas' shopping might take place on any of the 365 days a year. :rolleyes:

I also feel the new MX7 is going to be one of the best offerings we have seen come out of Sweet Home in many years.  It's using a now refined and proven circuitry.  It's in a well-balanced package with a properly-located headphone jack, and they have priced it at a remarkably competitive price, too.  Something we haven't seen from White's very often in the past decade or so.   This new model will quite likely be one of the most talked-about detector offerings in many discussions on Forums, in meetings, and any get-together of avid detectorists.

There's no such thing as  'perfect' detector, but it is great to see a more competitive entry come to market from White's.  A White's detector was the first factory-produced unit I ever had back in the summer of '68, and I have owned and used and used to sell White's detectors for almost five decades.  Some I didn't like very much, but quite a few satisfied me immensely and brought me a lot of success afield.

I believe the new MX7 might just end up making it to the top of my all-time favorite White's detector list.  I sure am hoping so.

Best of success to everyone as this year is concluding, and on into next year as well.

Monte

• Like 2

Hi Monte

I started detecting little over two years before you. I myself was a dealer for White’s for a while but my trouble was it took up too much of my detecting time,

We started at a good time when just about everything was coming up silver.

Chuck

Quote by Ridge Runner: Hi Monte

I started detecting little over two years before you. I myself was a dealer for White’s for a while but my trouble was it took up too much of my detecting time,

We started at a good time when just about everything was coming up silver.

Chuck

If you started before me a couple of years, that would have made it 1963.  I used home-built "metal/mineral locators" as we called them from March of '65 until the summer of '68 when a White's GhostTowner BFO got in my hands.  Couldn't afford a factory produced unit before then, and since that time I have almost always had at least one White's detector in my arsenal.  Often more than one, but I always try to maintain a stable of very good performing detectors for the types of hunting I prefer to do, and I feel the new MX7 is going to make a very good fit along with my Impact's, Relic and CoRe Target ID devices.

And as you know, even with detectors that would seem inferior compared with what we enjoy today, we got to enjoy unmatched Coin Hunting production!   Just imagine what we could have found in a day, a week or a month if we had the health and mobility we had back then  ... but were armed with an MX7 and smaller-size coil in-hand!

The problem we have today is that while we might enjoy pondering back in time to enjoy those fond memories of what seemed like unending coins to be found, and a very ample percentage of silver in the mix, it is sometimes a real challenge to try and get some upstarts in this great outdoor sport to believe us.  It was something they haven't, and never will, get to experience.  Sadly, neither will we get to again, either. :sad:

Monte

Monte

I stand corrected. I too started in 65 by building my own from a kit and 66 my first White’s BFO. I was thinking you said you started detecting in 68. I couldn’t pay for the full amount at one time but the dealer would let you pay it out on time. 

We must be about the same age 39 ( 76 ).The truth is not in me!

Chuck