Northeast's GPZ Gold Album

Great write up Northeast! I was really blown away by the difference in the signal strength between the Zed and the SDC. I know that the wife had done that area over a few times with the SDC and hadn't found anything there, apart from the usual junk. Well done and what a nice piece! Was a great finish to a mornings successful prospecting.

Those few bits today you and Outback 54 got today were ok for a new spot, nice to see a new area give up at least a few bits. 

cheers,

Elusive

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2018 at 8:58 PM, Northeast said:

The amount of depth lost with Gold Mode was an eye opener for us.

Great report! I never use the disc mode on the Gold Monster except as an extreme last resort. It not only loses a lot of depth but if a nugget is misidentified as ferrous you won't hear it and will never know its there. I prefer using all metal always and relying on the meter for a dig/no-dig decision. And that usually comes down to getting just one non-ferrous hit on a target, even if the other six swings show ferrous. I would rather dig some ferrous that falses positive than skip nuggets that false as ferrous if I can avoid it.

If the area if littered with trash and hot rocks that make such target by target analysis impossible, then it's time to engage the discrimination, but there is a steep cost. The graphic below and on the detector is pretty spot on

The SDC has very aggressive timings based on the "Fine Gold" timing of the GPX 5000. It aggressively rejects most hot rocks and bad ground, but in doing so there are "holes" in its ability to detect gold. Since gold and ground varies wildly, there is no way to know exactly where the holes are since they move around as the ground balance changes. Long story short, GPZ as a continuous wave detector fills in the "holes" left in ground balancing PI designs - one of its main design features.

minelab-gold-monster-1000-gold-chance-indicator-display.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve.  You are right, the pictures under the "Detecting Mode" heading do indicate an approx 50% loss of depth which seems accurate to what we found on the weekend.  I had never given much thought to the accuracy of the pic, just thought they were trying to indicate that it lost 'some' depth. 

Certainly we knew the SDC would lack depth Vs the GPZ but were again just surprised how close the SDC had to get when the nugget was quite solid and had a reasonable surface area - although it may have been sitting on its edge making things more difficult.  It think it makes Elusive contemplate what he may have walked over with the SDC - and it makes me wonder what I walked over when I had an SDC  :unsure:

Just another educational session and display of the 'power of the Z'    image.png.dc7f18755e57e3afb91628789646ee93.png

• Like 3

Hi Northeast

Wow mate that’s some Absolutely Beautiful gold and big for around here!.
I haven’t been out for quite awhile now, still waiting for the Monster to come back
from Minelab.
And I’ll have to look into Nenad headphone adaptor plug so I can get a signal booster
for the SDC as I’m struggling to be able to hear the Target noises through all the other
noise the machine makes.
Your obviously onto a nice area where you are to find them! hopefully there’ll be plenty more to come!!
Look forward to some more nice size colour!.

• 11 months later...

The GPZ 7000 is for sale for any of the Aussies that might be interested. 

Mitchel or Paul might even be interested for your 2019 adventures??

Link to the ad on PA is here  https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=29180

I'll be happy if it sells, I'll be happier if it doesn't   ?

Nice deal for some one in Oz, Northeast!

I almost sold my 7000 when I got sickly two Novembers ago...I am glad I did not sell.  Having the GPZ gave enough incentive to keep going and now I am about 80% back. That is way better than a walker and wheel chair.

I just ordered a new coil cover after all this time it is coming apart...but, I am not a coil scrapper...

fred

• Like 6

Sold pending pick up. 

Sad day. 

But also excited for what might be next and the research begins for something that is going to suit my plans at a price that suits expected usage. 

An SD?  A GPX?  A QED?  Time will tell  ?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Sold pending pick up. 

Sad day. 

But also excited for what might be next and the research begins for something that is going to suit my plans at a price that suits expected usage. 

An SD?  A GPX?  A QED?  Time will tell  ?

Northeast: I recommend all three ☺️  

With the coils now available you won't miss much - - - maybe the good old SD would be redundant nowadays,  they didn't miss much big deep gold though, especially the prototypes.

• Like 1