On 12/25/2017 at 11:36 PM, BOBCAT said:

I have recently found the Land Matters site and installed it on Google Earth. It is easy to use and the sliding dimming bar makes it even better. The only drawback is to find out the actual location of a claim is to get a plat from the county where it was recorded. It does list that when you do a search.

How did you install Land Matters on Google Earth?

We are still in the 19th century when it comes to getting the actual location of a claim.   That has nothing to do with Land Matters.  At least many county records can be searched online.  

Google Earth has a version of the Chrome browser available through the GE program. You can go anywhere the web will take you just like any other browser.

I prefer not to use the Chrome browser for security reasons but if you like using Chrome for your web surfing there is no reason not to use the Google Earth version.

Goggle Land Matters and follow their instructions. I am no computer whiz but i got the job done and boy it is sure fun to use.

Hi Jerry, I also have Earth Point on the regular Google Earth site where you have a topo overlay you can dim down to see both satellite and topo shaded over it so you can see both at the same time, but does not show claims like Land Matters.

Bobcat

This new LR2000 is really starting to get on my nerves.  Still can't find a darn thing with it.  Last two nights it seems to have been useless.

I USE "LAND MATTERS" ALL THE TIME. IT IS SLOW BUT WORKS WELL.  FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AND YOU CAN FIND EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW EXCEPT THE ACTUAL PLAT OF A CLAIM AND TO GET THAT YOU HAVE TO CONTACT THE COUNTY A CLAIM WAS FILED IN AND REQUEST A COPY. FEES WILL PROBABLY BE CHARGED. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By mn90403
      Here is a claim listed in New Zealand!
      https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12188130
      Mitchel
    • By Clay Diggins
      Land Matters updated their Mining Claim Maps this past Wednesday.
      Although the LR2000 has been shut down Land Matters gets their data directly from the main BLM database in Denver. This mining claims update is only current until the gov shutdown on December 21st. We've been updating these maps twice a month for more than 4 years now.
      There have been some really big changes in Arizona this past month with a lot of ground opening up in some very good areas. A lot of the newly closed claims were old, from the 1930's and later so this isn't just the usual end of year churn.
      On a related subject the LR2000 went live again today. I guess the new boss told them to flip the switch? It did seem petty to take it down during the shutdown since the servers are already paid for. 
    • By Alaskagold
      Sorry if this was posted somewhere else. 
      It would seem that the state of Alaska is considerably behind on processing new mining claims.  Last time I sent in claim forms they were processed within about two months and on the mapper. The last batch that I sent in have not posted yet on the mapper or or been processed yet and it's been about 3 months.
      I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a delay in claim processing?

They are very nice in the office and willing to answer any questions but they seem to be shorthanded.
    • By Clay Diggins
      Not quite sure where to put this Steve. It will probably have some interest for western prospectors and the eastern hunters are going to find it really useful. You decide if it needs to be moved and I'll go with it.
      Land Matters has begun a new section on their website for new projects in development. The most recent new project is Forest Ownership. This new map tracks Forest Boundaries as well as both surface and subsurface (mineral) ownership on the National Forest System.

"Forest Ownership" may sound funny since the common assumption is that all National Forest lands are created equal and are owned by the federal government. Unfortunately it's not really that simple. Land status within the forests varies greatly depending on several factors. We hope by developing this map set individual areas of the forests can be better understood by those who live near, use and research the United States forest reserves.

These maps should help you understand why some areas of forest are off limits, why you see houses and farms within a National Forest and who owns the mineral rights in any particular area of a forest.

In particular visitors to the eastern states forests can discover why they don't have the free use rights western forest users do. This map is going to be an eye opener for those who believe that all National Forests are the same. Many of the eastern forests are not owned or controlled by the federal government. Often when the U.S. has purchased some rights to surface use the minerals and timber are still owned in whole or in part by private individuals or corporations.

When you go to the New Projects Page be sure and click on the "Forest Ownership" tab in the center of the page and read the background I've written for these new map layers. That background can really help you understand what you are seeing on these maps.

The purpose of introducing these new projects while they are still in development is to get user feedback. You can have a direct influence on how these maps are developed and used as well as helping Land Matters define which projects should receive priority in their development. Please leave any comments you may have and if a particular project seems worthwhile consider supporting that project to help it along.

Here is the link to the New Projects Page. Just click on the "Forest Ownership" tab then choose the Forest Ownership map link on the right to open the new project map in a new tab.
      Barry
    • By davsgold
      Minelab now have updated the Xchange2 software for the GPZ7000, and it's now compatible with the 7000 upgraded software from 18 months ago.
      I have just done a download of stored data that was on the 7000 and it worked just like it used to, and it still kept all the find points and stuff from the original xchange2 which was great.
      Also I was able to restore all the MLX file data that I have been saving on the desktop for the last 18 months as well, this was a bit of a challenge to begin with.  What you do is when the 7000 is plugged into the computer, the MLX file that is there, (provided you have saved it) delete that one and copy and paste one of the saved ones from your PC, if you have renamed them just change the name back to GPZ7000.MLX and then just do the normal download form the 7000 to the exchange2 like before, then keep deleting and pasting and downloading till all your files that were save on the PC have been uploaded.
      Job done.  Thanks minelab, I just don't know what took so long.
      cheers dave
      https://www.minelab.com/usa/accessories-1/detecting-apps/xchange-2?view=downloads

• By rled2005
      GPAA Membership. Is it a joke? Are their Claims all worked out? Is it worth $90 to join?