Question On GPZ Firmware Update

Does anyone think about going back to the first firmware update for the GPZ?

Has anyone felt the audio is different and better results were had with the first update?

The upgrade works good but I can't seem to get the audio where it used to be even though I wrote the exact settings down.

Just curious if someone out there experienced the same thing. No problems finding gold, just doesn't sound right.

IMG_2678.JPG

Hi, I actually never did the update. For no reason other than I haven't gotten around to it. I usually use the same settings, but lately I've been noticing different sounds. Just seems to be running different. Unfamiliar responses to familiar ground is the best way to describe it. Not sure, may be in my head lol.

Chris

Have had the update since soon after it came out. Wouldn't have said it has changed the audio on mine at all.

Also can't say that the new settings have made any difference to the particular areas that I work.  But that is only a few spots  ?

Edit: after reading SH's and Lunk's posts below I should clarify mine. With new options turned off my audio sounds the same. 

With locate patch on, yes it is more chattery. Sorry, should have been more specific ?

I noticed no degradation in the audio with the new setting options turned off. In theory if you do not engage the new settings there should be no difference. If you engage the new features, it SHOULD sound different. Are you saying the audio has changed, even if you leave the new settings off?

It is not hard to roll back to the old firmware version however, and that is probably the only way to get a real answer to your question.

I have noticed that the threshold becomes somewhat chattery in Locate Patch, and even more so when using Salty Soil; perhaps this is what you’re referring to, inthemountains? 

Also, the real benefit of the Ground Smoothing  is seen when operating in saline soils - the higher the salt content, the better. You won’t see any noticeable improvement in non-saline soil types.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Patch and Salty Ground Smoothing modes will always sound a bit jittery, this is due to faster filters. If the jitteryness is noticeable then it suggests the ground your in is not salty. Also you need to allow at least an hour to familiarise yourself to the way the audio sounds, your brain will eventually smooth things out for you similar to getting used to running the Audio Smoothing on Off. 

I've not noticed the audio sounding different with the various upgrades;

Things to Try:
Change the WM12 channel
Change the detectors Frequency via the manual tune control
Try plugging in direct to the detector rather than using the WM12 to see if there is a difference
Make sure the ferrite balance is correct, poor ferrite balance can result in a jittery threshold
Turn off the GPS especially the Breadcrumb trail
Perform a hard reset
Re-install the software (similar to a hard reset)
Lift the coil away from ground effect with coil held parallel to the ground (between knee and waist height)and listen to the threshold, does the audio still sound the same?
Lift the coil away from the ground to above shoulder height, is there a loud response as the coil transitions through the arc? If so this is salt signal

Hope this helps
JP

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Thanks JP, I was hoping you would comment on this thread; your knowledge of these machines is always most helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1