Boots, Boots, Boots!

mn90403

I stopped by a store a friend of mine told me about today and I'll never shop at REI again for boots.  This place https://www.galls.com/ has 769 entries for footwear.  I looked in their print catalog (what's that) and there are 45 pages of shoes, boots, duty boots, metal free, etc.  There is much more online and I have to say if you want to save a lot of bucks, get a Galls brand shoe.  I recently bought a new pair so I don't need any this season but if you do get some of these!

If you can't navigate a website very good go directly to the footwear here:  https://www.galls.com/footwear

Oh, I'm also going to buy some of their pants and shorts.

Mitchel

Fred,

I went into the store and there were about 20 boots on the shelves.  I asked the clerk which ones were metal free.  She went and asked a supervisor and she came back and told me ALL of them.  That surprised me.

This trip I didn't have my pointer so I didn't test them.  I'll have it when I go back to this store because they had some clearance items with eyes and loops that looked metal.  I know it is a duty store and they are careful about them.  I looked for any of the old Converse styles but that was something they didn't have.

I'd call customer service and ask them about metal.  I think they get that question all the time.

Mitchel

7 hours ago, Mickey D said:

Good info. As a new detector, I never thought about metallic free boots/shoes.

How important is this?

Only a concern with the high power prospecting units, and more so with ones running large coils. Almost all regular metal detectors you need not concern yourself. Minelab PI detectors and the GPZ 7000 are the big offenders. People get a bit carried away with the metal free thing in my opinion but it can't hurt and in some cases does really help.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

People get a bit carried away with the metal free (footwear) thing in my opinion but it can't hurt and in some cases does really help.

I don't wear steel-toed boots when detecting, but the boots I wear have metal eyelets.  Not only doesn't it ever trick me, but I actually use them to check and make sure the detector is still working!  Note: I'm not using one of the super sensitive detectors Steve mentions; I understand the importance of not getting metal anywhere close to those.  Also, if you run in a mode with a low volume threshold you know your detector is working, but most detectors run silent in discrimination mode so that's where I need to do a sanity check.

• Like 1

Re: 7000 with 14/19 coils vs  brass boot eyelets

When I use the 7000 I feel that it does pick up metal boot eyelets. 

Klunker proved this to me one day last year while he was digging a target out for me on our snow detecting adbenture.

He thought my detector was too noisy as compared to his...so while we were trying to figure this out he deduced my boots were the problem..He would my the coil with his hand and move it slowly toward my boot and we could hear the subtle groan and eventually it would break into the weeooo target sound.

So i went back to his shop I proceeded to drill out all the brass eyelets....

The results: there was at least an ounce of eyelets!

When I got them all out.I put them in the palm of my hand I was shocked they were that heavy!

So even tho I wasnt consistently getting a noticeable wee ooo sound....i think I was getting interference at all times... and any type or amount of interference can't be a good thing...can it?

The point is, I think there can be an interference to the detectors  performance that isn't noticed by our ears. We may not hear the interference, but it may be happening. 

So i use non metallic boots now and I think my machine is quieter and feels more sensitive to even smaller targets.

Was it the eyelets...or my brain...???

As an added bonus.....I get lots more small trash now too:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1