Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Good Looking Metal Detectors

Here is a subject you will rarely see. What makes for a good looking metal detector? There are many I have swung over the years that were downright embarrassing. Maybe that is why I try to make sure I detect when nobody can see me! These days though there are some good looking detectors out there, kind of like the sports cars of the genre. My favorite - the F75 Special Edition, also called the Limited Edition. Fisher can't make up its mind.

fisher-f75-poster.jpg

Next up, the Minelab CTX 3030. This detector really wowed me when I put it together for the first time. Slip, twist, click, snick. Really cool and exposed wires are so 20th century.

minelab-ctx-3030-poster.jpg

• Like 1

Here is something completely different - the XP DEUS. The entire detector is in the coil, which is operated remotely by a control box or even directly by the headphones. It has a folding telescopic rod assembly that looks vaguely like the starship Enterprise when folded up.

xp-deus-compact-folding-metal-detector-design.jpg

On one hand the Minelab SDC 2300 is kind of goofy looking, but it is guaranteed to wow people when they see you unfold it for the first time. And so incredibly compact when stowed away!

sdc2300-animation.gif.93fb63cf89c2283e39

• Like 1

The White's V3i is nothing spectacular as far as overall looks, but its display screen is by far the best on the market. Full color, bright, sharp - it really pops. Others would do well to try and at least match it.

whites-v3i-screenshots.jpg

Finally, a bit different look, and one I was surprised with when my wife said she liked it. Kind of got that military thing going for it, and a unique color. The Garrett ATX.

garrett-atx.gif

I nominate Troy x-5. Always thought it was just a beautiful detector.

troy-shadow-x5.jpg

• Like 1

Steve, reference the exposed wires. Don't forget that in the late 90's Minelab had the Golden Hawk. It's wires were hidden and it had a military look. It found gold but wasn't real sensitive. Similar to the XT18000.

September 1999. The Golden Hawk probably should have been called the Golden Turkey. It and the Relic Hawk were one of Minelabs rare market failures. As you say, basically an XT1800 with extra tracking settings in a very expensive housing. And an external battery. Seriously? Have to admit I kind of wanted one though!

post-1-0-12822400-1417403982_thumb.jpg
Minelab Golden Hawk

• Like 1

Well I'm glad to see that I got 3 out of the six you posted....CTX, SDC and the Deus. Traded the ATX a while back for the SDC. That darn Deus is not as easy to learn as my CTX but I'm slowly starting to like it for it's detecting abilities. The light weight and look's caught my attention early on. I've found a few things already that I missed with the CTX in heavy trash. Or maybe I'm just digging more with it then the CTX.  Did the XP Deus make the cut  on your detector team?

strick

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By sandiwilliams717
      so all you guys know your Detector? Or so you thought maybe or maybe so you thought?

So lots of you may be asking or have been asking or are curious about which Detector is better and probably assuming the 800 is way better and stronger than the 600. Or which is better for the beginner? The Minelab Equinox 600 or 800? What Detector is more powerful? Therefore producing more finds and at better quality? Or are they in a nutshell the exact same Detector besides A extra mode ( Gold ), and 20 and 40 khz are available to be single frequencies on the Equinox 800 and not the 600. Does The Equinox 600 have 20 and 40 khz in multi frequency? And the 800 has more adjustable tone pitches in more tone brackets and recovery speed is more adjustable and iron bias as well. But are as I said in a nutshell are the same exact animal. Truly deep, capable of all types of metal detecting adventures, fully submersible and the actually find amazing finds. Whatever you buy make sure it's a Minelab Equinox. They produce. Just don't go about it like I did and dying to set up most advanced settings and trying to copy someone's program. Let that metal detector talk to you and you'll create a bond with it and only tweak it when you feel the need to be able to comprehend it better. It's preset modes are incredible and this detector is truly worth every penny.... Thanks for listening guys
    • By PhaseTech
      Just curious, how many prospectors are still swinging around a Minelab SD series, GP or even GPX4000??
      These models hardly get a mention these days. 
      For those that are swinging these older models, here's a few additional questions do get a bit of chatter happening....maybe
      Have you tried any of the new flat/spiral wound coils? 
      Have you tried modern boosters, or aftermarket battery options? 
      On a personal note, I still have a SD2100e and a GP3500 but they don't get any serious use. The 2100 is very sentimental model to me as it was the detector I found my first nugget with. The GP3500 was my baby, where Minelab added everything I wished for. It still has the best audio in any prospecting detector I've used to date (admittedly she's a bit on the quiet side). 
    • By Tnsharpshooter
      I’ll post link here.  Folks can comment if they wish.  Saves me time by not posting in detail on all forums.  I like this forum very much.  Hope I am not breaking rules here or am not upsetting anyone.
      http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,173272
    • By Ridge Runner
      I have the Simplex + and thinking about buying the Vanquish 540 but do I really need to spend over the cost of the Vanquish to get a great detector?
       I’ve had and have higher cost detectors but I want your opinion .
       Chuck 

• By Steve Herschbach
      Here is a good Sunday read for you. Reg wrote what is still the best introductory text on PI detectors. Recently he added extra chapters at the Findmall forum. Even if you read the original before it is worth reading again.
      Understanding The PI Metal Detector by Reg Sniff
      http://chemelec.com/Projects/Metal-1a/Understanding-the-PI-Detector.htm
      Deepest PI Detector by Reg Sniff
      Part One Link deleted since Findmall update broke old links
      Deepest PI Detector by Reg Sniff
      Part Two Link deleted since Findmall update broke old links
    • By Steve Herschbach
      http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,172859