What Can You Learn When Nothing Is On The Beach

On 11/21/2017 at 1:28 PM, mn90403 said:

I went out a couple of nights ago and I got lucky.  I found a $1 coin.  That brought my grand total to around $3 for the 3 miles that I walked on Prime Santa Monica beaches.

Go find a Spanish coin Swamp.

Mitchel

Beach detecting has been 'orrible ever since Matthew sanded everyplace in.. Considering the amount of erosion Irma did I'm believing there should be much new-old stuff just waiting for a coil to be passed over top.. Problem is being able to get to that line due to the high ongoing on-shore breakers.. The good news would be they've prevented everyone from working that zone for any length of time.. So I'm betting (hoping?) most of what got pulled and churned to there is still there.. Hopefully we'll be able to find out soon, but it won't be today or the following couple either.. Surf's running 3' - 4' at the moment..

( https://www.surfguru.com/ Under central florida, click 3rd down -- Cocoa Beach Pier.. This cam will place you in the center 1/5 th of what I consider my "beach detecting home location," and includes good views both N & S.. ) When I lived beachside it was about 5 blocks N & W of The Pier.. Today, and for the past 24 years, I live a bit over 20 miles W & N of The Pier, with that stretch still being my closest beach access point.. Just a real-time view is all -- what I check these days to see if I want to head that-a-way since I no longer live beachside..

Swamp

PS: Would love to find a reale or escudo.. Need to head further S to the Treasure Coast for a shot at 'em..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Living on the gulf coast in MS the water is very shallow and the waves rarely get over 1' high. Beach traffic is minimal compared to the FL beaches. During low tides I will walk out on the sand flats but not get much but tabs and a few pennies. Where I find most of my finds is where they sun bathe and sit in their chairs.. To work the beach good in different areas I usually find $1 in clad per hour of detecting and maybe a ear ring or pendent for every 8 hours on the beach. I don't mind because we are all looking for the heart stopper that you brag about for years

• Like 2

I went out the past two days. Day one was a beach in oxnard shores. I was looking for a lost ring for a client. I had waited for a good minus tide (1.8) and there had been some recent erosion. I barely got a target and I think in 2 hours I dug 6-7 pieces of aluminum and a couple wire clippings. Sand had returned to the area since our last storm in the low tide zone. I didn't even need to drag my scoop to see where my tracks were. 

Yesterday I hit a beach in Ventura that has produced for me in the past. Again sand had returned and this time I dug over 30 aluminum balls. I scored 1 quarter and one dime and two zincs. I was feeling so down the quarter inspired me to keep swinging for the gold. Alas, nothing turned up. It's 80 degrees at the beach but the water is still 57 so most deposits will in the dry. 

The main thing I've been learning at the beach lately is that I need a better beach.  Hubby and I are seriously considering moving our winter abode to Wabasso.  They have a nice RV park with big sites and it's reasonable.  I might be able to get excited about beach hunting again next November with a few 1715 shipwrecks within 10 miles of my house.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haha!!!

I just repeated that whole scenario this afternoon! North end of Zuma at low tide following the rocky cobble line in the wet sand, pushed up from the last high tide.... But I did 16 cents.... I had a couple times when I got good repeating single reading in my gold range just at the waters edge and I was playing tag with the waves as they chase me away and come back to the hole as she receded.  But after I went a foot and the depth gage kept saying 4in....I walked.

Lots of little clams everywhere too.

Over the last couple years I got some nice rings in the north end, same low tide Coble piles, but better storms last year....so far.

Oh well. Beautiful day at the beach!

Cheers

We reckon that if there has been erosion and the dry sand has gone it has been pulled down and making it deeper over the low tide area. Usually seems if that area is soft to walk on leaving footprints it has been freshly deposited . Just an observation here in Oz .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2018 at 8:53 AM, Judy said:

We reckon that if there has been erosion and the dry sand has gone it has been pulled down and making it deeper over the low tide area. Usually seems if that area is soft to walk on leaving footprints it has been freshly deposited . Just an observation here in Oz .

The first thing I do when I get down close to the water is stomp around a little on the sand.  If it's mushy and my feet sink I know I'm not finding anything but aluminum trash there, so I move to another spot.

I have grudgingly forgiven Brevard county for the massive sand dump last month.  It is really coarse sand with bits of shell in it, and looks almost like oatmeal.  It's also thicker and seems to be holding recent drops a bit longer than the native fine sand did.

• Like 2