Steve Herschbach

Forum Rules, Help, Tips, Contact Info

New Member Signup - Click Here!      Lost Password - Click Here!

Forum Tips & Tricks

Welcome to the Detector Prospector forum! Anything remotely related to metal detecting and prospecting for gold may be posted here. Forums for other subjects may be found here. The main goal here - to inform and educate. Please keep threads and posts on topic (metal detecting and prospecting). Off topic posts may be moved or deleted without warning.

The main goal of the forum is to share information. If you see something interesting on another forum or anywhere else, please link to it. Mention any brands you like. The only goal here is to inform and anything interesting or informative is not only allowed but desired as long as it is on topic.

While visiting this forum please act as if you are visiting my home. Treat others with decency and respect. Politics is not strictly prohibited but limit it to items of concern such as public meeting notices, comment periods, etc. No detector wars - every detector serves a purpose for somebody. For general editorial purposes this forum is treated as if it is a magazine.

A note about the Google Ads - I know we all hate ads but they pay for the website. All I can do is to promise not to go overboard with them. Special Note To Dealers - Dealers are welcome here, with minimal guidelines. Please read My Policy Regarding Dealers

If you have problems logging in or any other issues while on the forum Personal Message (PM) me or send me an email. Information on other general forum use and features can be found here.

Steve Herschbach

• Like 2

AND PLEASE, NO SHOUTING!

"All caps is considered shouting on the internet. Shouting is not polite. Using all capital letters in electronic communication is like shouting at someone in person. Therefore, it is bad netiquette to use all caps on the internet because shouting is not polite" Source One & Source Two

Online Case Converter Tool

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There is also a viewing limit of 6 for anyone not registered I take it as I ran into this limitation today on my browse.

I added that. If you do not join the forum or are not signed in, you will hit a limit of 6 topic views before getting a message asking you to sign in or join the forum.

I think there is tons of great content here, and I don't think asking people to register to see it in an unlimited fashion is too much to ask. Conversely, they don't have to register to see it, they just can't see it all at once.  An exception is the Classifieds - it has unlimited viewing.

The "free views" is variable so I can raise or lower that limit based on what seems reasonable. Six per day was a WAG.

I do not want to use a lot of bandwidth serving people who do not want to be forum members. It also makes the forum slower for people who are members so there needs to be a limit. Membership does have its privileges!

Here is the current message people who are not signed in will see after 6 topic views:

You have reached the maximum number of topic views (6 per day) allowed as a guest. If you have registered on the forum before, that means you have not signed in. If you are a member and have lost your password, you may recover it here. If you still can't get logged in, send an email explaining the problem

If you are not a member of the forum, please sign up to continue browsing our topics. By now you have probably realized there is a lot of great content here. Best of all, membership is free!

If you really do not want to register for the forum despite unlimited viewing, file download privileges, and more, just come back tomorrow and view another 6 topics. Thank you for visiting DetectorProspector.com!

If you are registered and check the "Remember Me" box on signing in you should not have to sign in again for ages unless you use a different device, or have cookies disabled (that is what remembers settings for you). People often seem to treat forums like they are banking websites. They are not - for gosh sake pick an easy password, and maybe even have your browser save it for you for automatic log in.

detectorprospector-sign-in.jpg

• Like 2

For what it's worth I appreciate this website.  It's quickly become my favorite Nugget hunting website.  I'm just getting back into the hobby and have learned and relearned so much here about the hobby here.  Some things have changed but many things no so much since 06.  But I feel like there has been progress though, not by leaps and bounds but progress none the less.  I'm still waiting as all of us are for the PI detector that is light, waterproof, wireless and with excellent  discrimination and modes for every type of metal detection.

Terry 

• Like 3

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask but I couldn't find another place on the forum. Just wondering what the width and height in pixels the photo for my profile header can be. I have photoshop so the exact dimensions would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Mine was 850 x 315 pixels but I don’t think that is optimum - but it worked. A little trial end error is in order I am afraid, as I have found nothing in the documentation.

Looks like Invision Community software will allow you to bring in just about any size image for the header, and automatically crop it to fit, allowing for up and down repositioning. That said however, for the more technically minded, even those that have cropping softwares, I measured for the most optimized area that will maintain 100% of the integrity of your imported photo. 1210 pixels wide x 200 pixels high, @ 72dpi is its exact surface area, or a ratio of 6:1. For those that want to get super technical, a ratio of 121:20 for a spot on WYSIWYG. Anything close to that, the Invision software will pretty much maintain the integrity of the original image, without excess pixelations, distortions, or need for repositioning. The further you get from those dimensions however, the more pixelated and distorted the image will appear. 

• Like 1

I didn't know where to post this but here seemed as good a spot as any.

Ad blocking

I have an Ad Blocker on my Google Chrome, the reason is to stop being bombarded with junk advertising and spyware and so on, however, there is a downside to this, genuine sites like this one which only has minor advertising and it's very unobtrusive helps pay for the site to exist in the first place. 

Once I noticed I rapidly disabled my ad blocker on this site, Steve deserves every penny that advertising brings in to keep the site up and running and as good as it is, so it would be absolutely fantastic if people using ad blocking can all disable it on this site, on my ublock origin it's simple to do, I click one little button and it will work on every other site but disable its ad blocking for this site. 

Most people like me probably haven't given it a thought, ad blocking is always on as a form of protection on most peoples Browser but I am sure you all agree the last thing we want to do is take revenue off Steve which would contribute to keeping the site running.

Please Steve if I've put this in the wrong place move it to where it will be seen, I am sure everyone would happily follow my advice if they knew about it.  It's the least we can do.

Thanks everyone! 

Simon

• Like 3

A nice thought Simon - thank you. The Google ads do pay for the forum hosting costs which run about $1200 a year. Any given click on a Google ad might pay one to three cents. There is a little left over that pays the heating bill and gives me an excuse with my wife when she questions the number of hours I spend on the forum! I surely don’t worry about the fine details nor expect anyone to turn off ad blockers but like I say - a nice thought :smile:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      I just spent two months overhauling the website and could use a break from the keyboard. I promised myself a reward when it was done and now it’s time to collect. I am going to be off grid most of the next couple weeks and for those times when I might be in range I am not going to think about it. That being the case you are all on your own until the end of the month.
      My absence is in itself is an experiment just to see what happens. You are all a really great bunch of folks so no worries on my part. I hope you all enjoy both the forum and your own adventures. If things get a little sloppy I will sort it out when I return. So take care, have fun, and see you all on or before Aug 1st.
      The goal when I get back will be a day by day accounting of the adventure with photos and hopefully some good finds to show. I know the adventure will be there regardless of finds - going to be a good time.
      Again, best wishes to all, and thanks for being the best forum members ever!
      Steve Herschbach
      DetectorProspector.com

• By Steve Herschbach
      The “Like” button on the forum serves a couple functions. First and foremost, the intent is that the most liked threads should coincide with the threads people think are most worth a read. By liking good posts you are alerting others that they should be interested in the post.
      Likes gives points to the person on the receiving end, which in turn determines who “wins” the Leaderboard each day, which gives people clues as to who posts the most appreciated threads.
      Since this is a points system it is by intent limited because you are supposed to value the number of likes you have to hand out each day. The current limit is 20 per day (they renew daily). This serves 99% of the forum members with no problem.
      I could raise the limit but that helps a very small number of people. My preference is that each person know they have twenty per day to use and hand them out appropriately. It’s not supposed to be like the school where everyone gets a medal just for attending. 
    • By Steve Herschbach
      I keep getting requests for at least one forum with a looser format and in particular a place where people can make "that first post" and introduce themselves. So here it is. Meeting people and getting to know them often means general chit chat and such. Anything is pretty much ok here but more than ever it is important people abide by the forum Prime Directive - treat others with decency and respect. Past history and baggage from other forums is not allowed here so just leave it at the door, or do not enter.
      This is the forum most likely to see new members and so all "Forum Info" posts are also archived here for those who want to know more about how the forum software works, etc.
      Other than that - enjoy!
      Now a little history for those totally new to the forum. I used to hang out on all the other forums. The problem over time is I kept bumping into rules. No mentioning certain brands or dealers for fear of offending sponsoring dealers. That will never happen here as the forum members come first. The one that really irritated me was no links to all sorts of things, like other forums. Here, if the subject matter is relevant, please link to it! No silly "Google it" games etc.
      And then there are the trolls. People who just like to stir things up. Childish and rude people. Tons of off topic garbage to wade through to find decent information. Etc. I just got tired of it all because over time it all got worse as forums became more commercial.
      I started these forums to escape all that and with the goal of attracting like minded people who are also tired of all the nonsense. So the main thing here is very, very simple. With the possible exception of this forum, keep discussions on the particular forum subject matter. Be a decent person and better yet, try to help others. On topic, be good - it really is that simple here.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      If you do not join the forum or are not signed in, you may hit a limit of 6 topic views before getting a message asking you to sign in or join the forum. I activate this once or twice a year for a week or two only.
      I think there is tons of great content here, and I don't think asking people to register to see it in an unlimited fashion is too much to ask. Conversely, they don't have to register to see it, they just can't see it all at once. An exception is the Classifieds - it has unlimited viewing.
      The "free views" is variable so I can raise or lower that limit based on what seems reasonable. Six per day was a WAG.
      I do not want to use a lot of bandwidth serving people who do not want to be forum members. It makes the forum slower for people who are members so there needs to be a limit. Membership does have its privileges!
      Here is the current message people who are not signed in will see after 6 topic views:

You have reached the maximum number of topic views (6 per day) allowed as a guest. If you have registered on the forum before, that means you have not signed in. If you are a member and have lost your password, you may recover it here. If you still can't get logged in, send an email explaining the problem
      If you are not a member of the forum, please sign up to continue browsing our topics. By now you have probably realized there is a lot of great content here. Best of all, membership is free!
      If you really do not want to register for the forum despite unlimited viewing, file download privileges, and more, just come back tomorrow and view another 6 topics. Thank you for visiting DetectorProspector.com!

If you are registered and check the "Remember Me" box on signing in you should not have to sign in again for ages unless you use a different device, or have cookies disabled (that is what remembers settings for you). People often seem to treat forums like they are banking websites. They are not - for gosh sake pick an easy password, and maybe ever have your browser save it for you for automatic log in.

• By Steve Herschbach
      New Member Signup - Click Here!      Lost Password - Click Here!
      Forum Tips & Tricks
      The Classifieds ad forum is provided as a free service for active, involved forum members. Members will have to have made at least ten posts on the other forums before being allowed to post in the Classifieds. Herschbach Enterprises is not responsible for issues resulting from the use of the Classifieds forum. As always, buyer beware!
      No negative comments. If you see an issue, contact the seller or a moderator via pm. Notify everyone when the item has been sold. Use the edit function to modify the original post to do so or add a post saying the item has been sold. Protect yourself. Be careful about giving any sensitive information to prospective buyers. Advertising deemed inappropriate or out of place for any reason may be deleted without warning. The standard Forum Terms of Use apply. Dealers are welcome as long as the items advertised are somehow involved in products related to the prospecting and metal detecting world. Dealers must identify themselves as such. I ask that dealer ads be limited to genuine special deals like closeouts and used detectors. See my general policy regarding dealers for details.

The Classifieds is designed to protect you from unwelcome contact. Only registered forum members can contact you via PM (Personal Messaging). This does mean if you want people who are not forum members to be able to contact you that you need to put that information in your ad.

Be as descriptive as possible and always try to include clear pictures of clean items. Many ads are ruined by blurry pictures or not taking the time to clean items before sale. Be sure to make note of any remaining transferable warranty, if any.

Review your ad one last time after you place it to be sure everything is accurate. You have the ability to edit it at any time.
      Go to your ad and at bottom next to quote button hit edit You should be able to edit everything there, including the title. The Prefix selection lets you put colored For Sale, Wanted, and other banners on your ad. Put up a Sold banner when your item sells or ends and the ad will be deleted within a couple days. Ads may be deleted by the admin after 90 days if no attempt is made to update them or otherwise indicate they are still active.  In order to not have to check back to see if somebody has posted in response to your ad, be sure and check the slider control in lower left "Notify me of replies" . You will be sent a message notifying you of any responses.
      A big tool for sellers is the eBay sold listings. Go to eBay and search for what you plan on selling. Then click the "used" box on left. Then click the "sold listings" box. Now you can see all similar items that sold recently and what they sold for, giving you a realistic way of checking current market value. Oddball items unfortunately may not have enough sales volume to get help this way.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      OK, I have been involved in a two month makeover and upgrade process for this website. The main goal is to get rid of all the old portions of the website so everything is a common format, look and feel throughout the site. This will insure all pages render properly on any device from a small phone to a large screen PC.
      This put additional load on the existing hardware resources, and the website has bogged down considerably in the last month. I could count the seconds waiting for a page to load, and error messages were too common.
      This morning the site was upgraded to a new server with both upgraded software and hardware. For my part I am seeing massively better performance now, pages loading almost instantly and everything just much snappier.
      How does it seem to you? Better? No difference? Worse? Let me know if you see any glitches starting this morning - anything before today does not matter any more.
      The process is not quite done. I have about 50 more old pages to convert, and my goal is to have this done before the end of next week. There are more performance tweaks I can undertake but with if the site stays as fast as it is now the benefits will probably not be as noticeable if at all. The most visible upgrade I will do soon will be to convert everything to SSL secure communications to bring the site up to current recommended standards. That may cause a little turmoil with images served from outside sources but I expect any disruption there to be minimal
      Been a fair bit of work and I always stress a little before server moves, etc. However, the benefits should be considerable moving forward both for me as admin and for all you as members.
      Thanks again for your patience during this process!