Forum Rules, Help, Tips, Contact Info

I'm pretty sure FireFox never used to remember the Zoom setting, especially if you actually shut down the browser, or the entire computer. But having experimented with it now, it seems to do it consistently. I've no idea what zoom setting I have, though, there isn't any indication I can see?
Delving into About:Config shows the standard settings are zoom levels of:
0.3; 0.5; 0.67; 0.8; 0.9; 1.0; 1.1; 1.2; 1.33; 1.5; 1.7; 2.0; 2.4; 3.0
so I guess I had 0.67 set, I've no idea why.
It doesn't remember zoom levels of individual images, though. I use it sometimes on Geotech1, where people often upload small images, and if you close a tab, then re-open it, it reverts back to 100%. That's the kind of inconsistency that throws me. Likewise - if you get some stupid 'out of date security certificate' nonsense, and you add an exception, it only does it for that one page, not the whole site, pretty irritating. Yet this 'remembered Zoom' seemed to apply to all the detectorprospector site, not just that one page I was viewing. Pfft.

• 3 months later...

Steve,

I looked over one of your advertisers web sites -- Wayrates, and may be interested in a few items, BUT, they have almost No specs for their clothing, I mean basic things like often not even the material something is made of.!

For their sake and yours for ad revenue, Please make them aware that most guys like me and others will not even think of ordering something with only photos and almost nothing else as a description.

Pants especially need info like --

Material type -- Cotton, Polyester, Nylon, Blend, Etc. weight of material would be great also.

Details on Pockets -- Size, Number, Locations, Closer -- Zipper, Velcro, Button, None,  Material - Mess, Etc.

Leg Closers -- None, Draw String, Velcro, Button.

Belt Loops -- Number and Size.

Knees -- Plain or Double Layer, or Padded.

I'm Not trying to be an Ass, Just hate when companies make basic mistakes.

They are not “my” advertisers. You are looking at ads served by Google, and the ads you see are not what other people see, but are based on whatever info Google has about you, if any. So feel free to contact them if you wish, but I have nothing to do with them or even know who they are.

• Like 1

I guess I don't understand how that works. Google is the search engine but the ads are all over Your Website, I hope that You get paid for them to be here?

Do you get paid Per Click perhaps?

Just trying to help not be a Pest.

Keep up the good work, maybe some day will will meet, would love to enjoy a few days detecting with another Enthusiast.

Google is way more than a search engine. They make billions serving ads on the internet, like the ones you are seeing here. I do get paid by the click, which pays for the website hosting and software costs, with some change left over.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm really struggling with making posts here that work properly. I've always had problems getting hyperlinks to work, they seemed to link back to the forum, and not the proper destination, but with some investigation, I was able to edit them to make them correct.
Then the forum changed the way it works, and all my techniques failed again. I found that it would in fact (usually) somehow magically recognise a website address and make the hyperlink for me. So I think I have that one under control...
but masses of other things don't work at all now, when they did in the past. I can't fathom out how to change the colour of text. For example if I've cut a quote from someone else, I want to change the text to blue, so I enclose it in the 'color' tags, et voila. Except not now. Likewise I'm trying to type the squared / cubed superscript, for example " three squared equals nine" in maths. I've entered 3[sup]2[/sup] = 9  and it just gets ignored. And I wanted to highlight a few words in a sentence, so put [b] 'bold' tags around the words, and nothing happened.
Is there some option in your 'control panel' , Steve, that enables/disables what I think is usually knows as "BB code" ?
I've scoured the website and I can't find any user guide to posting. There's only 9 options available on the top menu, where's all the others? It suggests ( when I hover the mouse in the right place) that holding down the 'ctrl' button and 'right-clicking' should offer up some choices, but it doesn't, just 'paste'.
Does anyone else here have any ideas? I'm not a computer novice, if I can find a guide, I can learn it. It's just frustrating that whatever works just fine on every other forum ( even Tom D's very dated one ) doesn't work on this presumably up-to-date one.

OK, after hours of frustration, I'm getting SOMEWHERE.

I said I only had 9 options at the top of the post box . Well just out of curiosity, I shrunk down the text size of my browser using ctrl &- , and surprisingly a load of new options appeared, there's about 15 of them in total now, including text colour and text font size, so that's a start. Shrinking things down further doesn't make any more appear. This seems a pretty poor job from the forum software, that it won't work properly on a perfectly normal monitor size.

Second discovery: I've tried to find out which version of 'Invision Community'  forum this is, but failed to locate it anywhere ... but assuming it's the latest version, it turns out that IT NO LONGER SUPPORTS BB_CODE AT ALL, not a sausage. Hence why [color=blue] , [url] , [sup] etc are completely ignored. Posts of mine from the end of August worked fine with bb-code, but sometime in Sept it stopped. This does raise the question : Why do old posts with bb-code in them still display OK , if new ones don't? I dunno.

While I couldn't find a user guide to posting on here, it appears it uses something called "CKeditor", so I'm going to look on their website and see if I can find a page on how to use it, I'll post it up if I do, it would be useful to everyone, I'm sure.

Sorry I missed your post earlier. This forum always runs the latest version of Invision. That means we are currently on 4.5.4. You can see the latest version changes at https://invisioncommunity.com/release-notes/

BBCode is obsolete and being phased out. It seems like you are fighting the system, which has been moving away from BBCode in favor of direct editing. If you want bold, highlight the item and use the controls on your device keyboard (the bold key, etc.) that make things bold. This requires your device to have to appropriate keyboard options. The editor box also has built in controls, but they vary by device. The bigger the screen, the more controls that will appear. As you discovered, just paste the link... it’s live. Or format elsewhere, like in Word, and just paste it in. Best bet is to just use plain text.

Here is what I see on my small iPad. There are editing functions up top. My secret weapon in the Source Code button in upper left on most menus. This flips the editor to direct html mode where you can edit the source code directly. Use html, not BBCode. CKEditor is a WYSIWYG html editor, very similar to basic rich text format editing

Again, different devices will have different menus, and in general, the larger screen sizes offer the most editing functions directly in the menu. 

I’ve been planning an expanded help section with editing tips. Looks like time to get to work on that.

1EDADC90-A490-460E-B31F-E94696A044FE.jpeg

One last note. Some people try to get fancy with real large text, crazy colors, and lots of added space. Please consider what the threads look like on a small cell phone screen. What looks good on a PC screen can be horrible on the small screen. Very often I will edit posts of that sort back to plain text. Just saying, simple is best.

I've looked at the release notes for V 4.5, released in September 2020, and it states:

"Deprecated:

BBCode parsing support - upgrading users will be asked during upgrade if they wish to retain BBCode parsing support."

That was when there were a lot of cosmetic changes, like the 'Edit Post' moving to a drop-down menu, and evidently you chose not to retain BB code support.

There's no sign of the 'switch to html' button when I post, no matter how many times I "ctrl&-"  to zoom out. Likewise, I can't get the 'subscript' and 'superscript' options which CKeditor's website implies are standard options.

I can't even work out how to change that line I pasted from Invisions website into blue text, so it's clear it's not my writing. I chose 'blue', then pasted the text and it pasted black. I tried deleting the first D of deprecated, changing to 'blue', typing D in the anticipation the rest would change to blue.. but it didn't, just the first D was blue, the rest stayed black. Sigh.

Is this the icon that appears as <> and says 'code' when you hover over it? I get that one appear when I shrink things down once.

It's not the same icon as Steve marked in red, the piece of paper with 'source' next to it. It gives me a blank screen, though? Shouldn't it show my text etc?

I'll have to read up on that, and experiment.

Years ago, eBay listings had that feature, you could just tab between plain text and html, I used it to put urls of externally-hosted images in my listings. That was when you only got 1 small image for free. But eBay dropped the feature, as clumsy html would mess up the page. They enclosed it in an i-frame for a while, to isolate it from all the other garbage they splatter all over your listing, but it still didn't work. They're too greedy. When people look at my listing, I want them to see my listing, not thousands of links to other peoples items. eBay was OK 15 years ago, not now.

DP_shrink1.jpg