Forum Rules, Help, Tips, Contact Info

On 12/7/2020 at 10:32 AM, PimentoUK said:

That was when there were a lot of cosmetic changes, like the 'Edit Post' moving to a drop-down menu, and evidently you chose not to retain BB code support.

I did not choose anything. I simply apply updates when they become available, and in this case the default was probably for BBCode to go away, but I am fine with that. Staying with obsolete stuff like BBCode may be easier for a few, but it will lead to increasing problems as time goes by. A forum owner has two choices. Lock in the software and fall back in time, ending up like some forums now that have serious issues. Or move forward with the times.

"BBCode is a legacy markup language that was originally designed to allow users to submit rich content prior to the advancement of WYSIWYG editors. BBCode support is deprecated and may be removed in a future release, and we recommend leaving this option disabled for greater performance and reliability if your community does not rely on BBCode parsing to format posts."

It is true now that I looked into it that the editor button options changed from where I had them, and it appears some people have access to the old version, and some the newer version. I just jiggered the toolbars.

There are three sizes I can set. The toolbar options are limited by space, and so there are small, medium, and large versions. Here are the current versions just set. I try to use the most common buttons, and things like superscripts are not used often enough for dedicated buttons on the smaller versions. The catch all is the source code buttons.

The <> button opens a dialog that lets you add code snippets. The <>Source button puts the editor in full html mode. Modify the code, then press the button again to toggle back to view mode. The <>Source button was custom, and got lost on the last update. I added it back to a couple versions.

Hopefully this helps. People still may have different versions until in caches until they clear.

dp-editor-buttons.jpg

Oh, cool, I now have the missing 'source' button to toggle between plain text and html.

And if I shrink down the page once, the sub & superscript buttons appear... though not in the 'edit post' mode, I have to shrink twice to get them then ??

But with html editing available, I think I can sort out all the trickier things.

And Goldseeker's tip re: colours seems to work. Cut some text, paste it into the post as black. Then select it all, then choose a new colour, and the whole lot changes colour.

A little test:

Susceptibility = 250 x 10-6 units (cgs)

Steve said: "I just jiggered the toolbars."

..which is OK in the privacy of your own home. HeHe.

Time to try and edit some of my non-functional posts then...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Steve: The 'Source' function has gone again, as have the 'subscript' / 'superscript' options.
I've just tried to type some maths in one of my posts, and stalled when I couldn't find how to type 'Q - squared' , even after shrinking down the screen size twice.
Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

To follow up:

Steve and I have conversed via PM about this.

To summarise:

The 'subscript' and 'superscript' options are no longer on the top menu. While there are keyboard shortcuts for italic ( 'ctrl+i' ), underline ( 'ctrl+u' ), bold ( 'ctrl+b' ) , there are no such shortcuts for subscript/superscript, so that workaround is not an option.

The 'Source' button is still present on the top menu. It's just my PC that doesn't show it, regardless of level of zoom in/out. Again, no keyboard shortcut exists for this function, because it's an editor plug-in, rather than a basic function.

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2022 at 5:03 AM, PimentoUK said:

To follow up:

Steve and I have conversed via PM about this.

To summarise:

The 'subscript' and 'superscript' options are no longer on the top menu. While there are keyboard shortcuts for italic ( 'ctrl+i' ), underline ( 'ctrl+u' ), bold ( 'ctrl+b' ) , there are no such shortcuts for subscript/superscript, so that workaround is not an option.

The 'Source' button is still present on the top menu. It's just my PC that doesn't show it, regardless of level of zoom in/out. Again, no keyboard shortcut exists for this function, because it's an editor plug-in, rather than a basic function.

Ultimately, I’m only trying to provide basic posting tools, not create a full word processor environment. If advanced editing is required, it’s best done in a full editing tool like Microsoft Word, then cutting and pasting the final product here as a post. In most cases the formatting will carry over directly. Just don't use too large a font, default here is 14 point.

• Like 1

Newbie,,,, is there a collection of old and answered questions?? Hate to ask what has been answered many times. Also there's a lot that I don't know. Thanks. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Palmer said:

Newbie,,,, is there a collection of old and answered questions?? Hate to ask what has been answered many times. Also there's a lot that I don't know. Thanks. 

First stop is my Steve’s Guides List list, which is a collection of articles on often asked subjects. When people ask those types of question, I created this resource just so I don’t have to answer the same questions again.

All threads are tagged, and the Tag List will quickly give you a full forum list of select subjects, sorted by date. Best way to find info on the most popular detectors discussed here. There are of course separate forums for different brands and subjects, but the tag list narrows it more, and crosses all forums.

There is a simple search box in upper right, Advanced Search can be found in the menu, and offers more capability to narrow results.

Advanced search is good, but has limits. Use Google Advanced Search to search this site only, by entering detectorprospector.com in the appropriate box (see below). You can enter other terms to narrow the search, and this is actually the most powerful way to do custom searches of the site.

Finally, do not be shy, don’t be afraid to ask questions, even if asked before. I hate websites where people give a smart ass answer like “use the search box” instead of simply answering a question for newbies, and tend to run those people off. Forums are for asking questions, and lots of people here are happy to help. :smile:

Another tip. Clicking or double clicking on images will usually give you a much larger and clearer version, as large images are reduced for normal viewing. Try it on the image below.

E71F3AAF-8E9F-49CD-8328-4382F71FEF3F.jpeg

• Like 5