Forum Rules, Help, Tips, Contact Info

New Member Signup - Click Here!      Lost Password - Click Here!

Forum Tips & Tricks     Advanced Search     Tag List/Index

Welcome to the Detector Prospector forum! Anything remotely related to metal detecting and prospecting for gold may be posted here. Forums for other subjects may be found here. The main goal here - to inform and educate. Please keep threads and posts on topic (metal detecting and prospecting). Off topic posts may be moved or deleted without warning.

This is the oldest forum here, at one time the only forum. As such it is a catch all for a wide range of subject. However, after about page 6, I move some posts to sub-forums for archival purposes. For instance, posts about specific Minelab detectors get moved to the Minelab Forum, and posts about specific Garrett detectors get moved to the Garrett Forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to find posts about specific subjects in the future, rather than sifting through everything here.

The main goal of the forum is to share information. If you see something interesting on another forum or anywhere else, please link to it. Mention any brands you like. The only goal here is to inform and anything interesting or informative is not only allowed but desired as long as it is on topic.

While visiting this forum please act as if you are visiting my home. Treat others with decency and respect. Politics is not strictly prohibited, but limit it to items of concern such as public meeting notices, comment periods, etc. Any post mentioning any politician by name is going to be deleted, period. No detector wars - every detector serves a purpose for somebody. For general editorial purposes this forum is treated as if it is a magazine.

Do not place ads for your detector or equipment for sale here. That is only allowed in the Classifieds and is only for participating members - read the rules.

A note about the Google Ads - I know we all hate ads but they pay for the website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. All I can do is to promise not to go overboard with them.

Special Note To Dealers - Dealers are welcome here, with minimal guidelines. Please read My Policy Regarding Dealers

If you have problems logging in or any other issues while on the forum send me a Personal Message (PM). Information on other general forum use and features can be found here.

Steve Herschbach

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

AND PLEASE, NO SHOUTING!

"All caps is considered shouting on the internet. Shouting is not polite. Using all capital letters in electronic communication is like shouting at someone in person. Therefore, it is bad netiquette to use all caps on the internet because shouting is not polite" Source One & Source Two

Online Case Converter Tool

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth I appreciate this website.  It's quickly become my favorite Nugget hunting website.  I'm just getting back into the hobby and have learned and relearned so much here about the hobby here.  Some things have changed but many things no so much since 06.  But I feel like there has been progress though, not by leaps and bounds but progress none the less.  I'm still waiting as all of us are for the PI detector that is light, waterproof, wireless and with excellent  discrimination and modes for every type of metal detection.

Terry 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask but I couldn't find another place on the forum. Just wondering what the width and height in pixels the photo for my profile header can be. I have photoshop so the exact dimensions would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Looks like Invision Community software will allow you to bring in just about any size image for the header, and automatically crop it to fit, allowing for up and down repositioning. That said however, for the more technically minded, even those that have cropping softwares, I measured for the most optimized area that will maintain 100% of the integrity of your imported photo. 1210 pixels wide x 200 pixels high, @ 72dpi is its exact surface area, or a ratio of 6:1. For those that want to get super technical, a ratio of 121:20 for a spot on WYSIWYG. Anything close to that, the Invision software will pretty much maintain the integrity of the original image, without excess pixelations, distortions, or need for repositioning. The further you get from those dimensions however, the more pixelated and distorted the image will appear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A nice thought Simon - thank you. The Google ads do pay for the forum hosting costs which run about $1200 a year. Any given click on a Google ad might pay one to three cents. There is a little left over that pays the heating bill and gives me an excuse with my wife when she questions the number of hours I spend on the forum! I surely don’t worry about the fine details nor expect anyone to turn off ad blockers but like I say - a nice thought :smile:

• 1 month later...

Steve - Thanks A Million for All You Do"...We Appreciate Your Work that Makes it easy to Learn and Share Au* Knowledge! :rolleyes: 

Cheers Buddy !  Ig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I opted only to drop in for a visit here and there, for years before joining just recently. Would hit the forum to gain one specific piece of wisdom for some quest/ goal/ problem ... geophysical sciences content Geowizard provides, mining history tidbits such as bucketline dredging locations, detectors and evaluations, etc. I'd look at the forums for just one thing. So the 6 view limit never was an issue for me.

Am shocked ad revenues per click are just a few pennies on the dollar. Geez ... you should be earning commissions on gear recommendations ... I bought my detectors largely due to your evals/ trusting your judgment given your AK-specific experience. Not Fisher nor Garrett nor the retailer I purchased through offered anything close to what you provided. So, to me you made the sale not their marketing thus ought to get a healthy kickback. Just sayin 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am wondering what the heart means in bottom right hand corner of post. I see this heart on all post except mine, did I do something wrong ? If I have I will cease to post, do not want to disrupt a very informative web site.

Happy Hunting !!!

• Like 3