Forum Rules, Help, Tips, Contact Info

The heart is a “like” button (changed now to a "Thumbs Up" similar to Facebook). You activate it to tell a poster you like their post. You can’t like your own posts, so the button is grayed out.

People with the most “likes” each day are listed on the Leaderboard

• Like 1

Got it !! Thx,

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, MannyScoot said:

How can a profile be deleted ?

What profile, not sure what you mean? You can add or delete stuff from your profile as you please. The only way to remove the profile page completely is to have your account deleted. If you want your account deleted then you request it and I do it.

• 2 months later...

I'll be the first to ask: What happened to the forum layout ? I was using it about 3 days ago, and the page was changed to 'super-wide', about 40% of it was only readable by moving the left/right slider-bar. Then an hour later, the width was correct, but the font size had shrunk down to micro size. I can still read it, but sure don't like it. The avatars have shrunk too. Am I the only one ?

37 minutes ago, PimentoUK said:

Am I the only one

Sorry Pimento but mine is the same as it has always been.   Maybe shut down your browser and open it up again.  Might have inadvertently pressed a re-sizing option?   

4 hours ago, PimentoUK said:

I'll be the first to ask: What happened to the forum layout ? I was using it about 3 days ago, and the page was changed to 'super-wide', about 40% of it was only readable by moving the left/right slider-bar. Then an hour later, the width was correct, but the font size had shrunk down to micro size. I can still read it, but sure don't like it. The avatars have shrunk too. Am I the only one ?

Nothing has changed on the forum - it’s on your end. When in doubt use a different browser.

• Like 1

Well ... after a lot of faffing about ( including clearing my forum cookies, hence logging myself out, then not being able to log in again because I didn't make a note of my password ....) I have come to some conclusions.

I have a saved copy of the forum front page , from August 2019. This loads correctly, with the right font size and layout.
I then saved the current small-font front page, and compared them.
I had a hunch the problem was to do with .css (cascading style sheet) files. Comparing the two versions, there is an obvious difference: the old page had 11 .css files, the new page has just 8. The missing three are named:

37c6452ea623de41c991284837957128_gallery.css

22e9af7d7c6ac7ddc7db0f1b0d471efc_gallery_responsive.css
and
885a2e418b87306e5ae0b62323d68d08_widgets.css

My hunch was the 'widgets' one was the important one. So I copied this .css file from the old saved page to the new saved page.
I then re-loaded the new page, and behold !! it displayed properly, like it did 3 days ago.

Now I don't know what exactly 'widgets' does, it's related to 'gallery' in some way, but I'm no web guru.
But it seems the absense of these 3 files is what's causing my problem - with missing 'style' info, my browser is not able to format the page properly.
( anyone who has ever turned off 'page style' will know it makes a mess of the layout, and usually changes fonts to basic ones. Dankowski's Forum has this problem for many folks, as the .css files are insecure, even though the main page IS secure, and security-heavy browsers don't load them up: the result is an ugly page. )

Any thoughts on this, Steve? Any automatic updates taken place that you have no control over ?

Yes the site has updates regularly, but none I don’t know about... I have to load them. The fact that I and nobody else is reporting this problem is a rather large clue. The site is running fine for me on six different devices and several different browsers. You probably have a caching issue. The gallery went away a year ago.

You mentioned everything but trying another browser.

Problem solved, I think.
I'm using Firefox, which like most browsers has a 'page zoom' feature, using "ctrl +" and "ctrl-" to enlarge/shrink the text size. It would appear my machine has decided to permanently remember a 'zoom out' setting for detectorprospector, not globally for all websites, and it remembers it even when it's shut down and restarted - which it's never done before. I zoomed in, to what I assume is 'normal', and it seems to have stuck with it so far.
This explains why the saved page loaded OK, as it's not on www.detectorprospector.com, it's on my C: drive.
It doesn't explain the .css file effect I discovered, that's too mysterious.

I found a few references to this effect on the web, with the question "how do I stop it doing this ???" , so it's not unique to me. One answer is to go into the browser settings, and edit Max -Zoom and Min-Zoom to "100", then it should always stay at 100%, regardless.

Thank You for your thoughts.

• Like 1