Steve Herschbach

Forum Rules, Help, Tips, Contact Info

I opted only to drop in for a visit here and there, for years before joining just recently. Would hit the forum to gain one specific piece of wisdom for some quest/ goal/ problem ... geophysical sciences content Geowizard provides, mining history tidbits such as bucketline dredging locations, detectors and evaluations, etc. I'd look at the forums for just one thing. So the 6 view limit never was an issue for me.

Am shocked ad revenues per click are just a few pennies on the dollar. Geez ... you should be earning commissions on gear recommendations ... I bought my detectors largely due to your evals/ trusting your judgment given your AK-specific experience. Not Fisher nor Garrett nor the retailer I purchased through offered anything close to what you provided. So, to me you made the sale not their marketing thus ought to get a healthy kickback. Just sayin 

• Like 1

I am wondering what the heart means in bottom right hand corner of post. I see this heart on all post except mine, did I do something wrong ? If I have I will cease to post, do not want to disrupt a very informative web site.

Happy Hunting !!!

• Like 2

The heart is a “like” button (changed now to a "Thumbs Up" similar to Facebook). You activate it to tell a poster you like their post. You can’t like your own posts, so the button is grayed out.

People with the most “likes” each day are listed on the Leaderboard

Got it !! Thx,

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      I keep getting requests for at least one forum with a looser format and in particular a place where people can make "that first post" and introduce themselves. So here it is. Meeting people and getting to know them often means general chit chat and such. Anything is pretty much ok here but more than ever it is important people abide by the forum Prime Directive - treat others with decency and respect. Past history and baggage from other forums is not allowed here so just leave it at the door, or do not enter.
      This is the forum most likely to see new members and so all "Forum Info" posts are also archived here for those who want to know more about how the forum software works, etc.
      Other than that - enjoy!
      Now a little history for those totally new to the forum. I used to hang out on all the other forums. The problem over time is I kept bumping into rules. No mentioning certain brands or dealers for fear of offending sponsoring dealers. That will never happen here as the forum members come first. The one that really irritated me was no links to all sorts of things, like other forums. Here, if the subject matter is relevant, please link to it! No silly "Google it" games etc.
      And then there are the trolls. People who just like to stir things up. Childish and rude people. Tons of off topic garbage to wade through to find decent information. Etc. I just got tired of it all because over time it all got worse as forums became more commercial.
      I started these forums to escape all that and with the goal of attracting like minded people who are also tired of all the nonsense. So the main thing here is very, very simple. With the possible exception of this forum, keep discussions on the particular forum subject matter. Be a decent person and better yet, try to help others. On topic, be good - it really is that simple here.
      New Member Signup - Click Here!      Lost Password - Click Here!
      Forum Tips & Tricks     Advanced Search     Tag List/Index
    • By Steve Herschbach
      All the current Tesoro metal detector models have now been added to the Metal Detector Database with User Reviews starting on page 4 about halfway down. If you have owned any of these Tesoro models please help others by leaving a review. Discontinued Tesoro models will be added in the future.
      For an explanation of the Metal Detector Database with User Reviews visit this link

Tesoro Tejon metal detector
    • By Steve Herschbach
      I have been doing reviews of various gold prospecting metal detectors for years. I also have maintained a Guide to Gold Nugget Detectors that summarizes and links back to the detailed reviews.
      That's fine, but this website has branched out into all things detecting, and my reviews are limited to one niche of the metal detecting world. I also find I have an ongoing need to link to metal detector specs, and having a complete database of detectors past and present can help me as we go along. The main thing however is I am hoping to get a good user review database going.
      Long story short I am working on a new Metal Detector Database With User Reviews. I have created a simple framework, and am putting basic specification information in for current metal detector models. The detectors are listed alphabetically by manufacturer and model. There are basic specs highlighted - internet price, frequency, weight, waterproof or not, and whether the detector is a current model. You can use the "Sort By" function to sort the entire list by any of these criteria.
      The heart of it all however is the ability of each forum member to leave a "Five Star Review". You rate the detector overall - one star is poor, five stars superb. You can do a written review, hopefully one that simply says what you like most about the detector, and what you like least. I prefer this be kept clean and useful for others.
      This may or may not turn into anything as it really depends on all of us. The more reviews that get left, the more useful it will be for everyone.
      I am plugging basic specs in but as I get caught up I will go back and try and make each entry a compact listing of information about each model, possibly listing common accessories with part numbers. I already am linking to manuals etc. That way when somebody posts in the future about a detector, links can be made to the appropriate database entry so people can get more details. You can figure I will be doing a lot of that cross linking so it's not something people need to do unless they want to.
      Finally, when that all gets caught up, I will start working backwards and add discontinued models. I will stick with more popular stuff at first, getting more obscure over time. In a few years this could be a really great resource. I will be building the database regardless. Many of the entries are just placeholders at the moment, but if anyone wants to please feel free to place some reviews. It might help me tweak the system, and I am open to suggestions. As always there is only so much I can get on screen at one time, so the specs I highlight and such are limited more by screen space than anything.
      Check it out at Metal Detector Database With User Reviews. I will rejigger the menu structure in the future to make this easier to find but right now it's a little off the beaten path.

• By Steve Herschbach
      All the current Minelab metal detector models have now been added to the Metal Detector Database with User Reviews starting on page 2. If you have owned any of these Minelab models please help others by leaving a review. Discontinued Minelab models will be added in the future.
      For an explanation of the Metal Detector Database with User Reviews visit this link

• By jrbeatty
      - - - which means all my uploaded images have vanished, including the "Reg Wilson Gold Album" and "Gold found with the QED"
      Wasn't even given the option to transfer my  images to parent company Photobucket for a fee.
      Huge amount of work to edit and transfer images to another host - so shock and apathy prevail for now - need a beer and time to think - - -  :<(  

• By Steve Herschbach
      Dealers are welcome on these forums. I do as a rule prefer dealers identify themselves when posting. Putting dealership contact information is the signature line is encouraged for this reason, and can bring the dealer some business! 
      Unlike most forums this one is not owned or sponsored by detector dealers. However, I respect many dealers as being some of the most knowledgeable people in metal detecting. To ban them here would be a bad idea. I in fact would like to attract them. I welcome any posts from any dealer intended to enlighten and inform. Any smart dealer should know people do not like overt sales. The way to go about it is show you know your stuff. Help people. Be useful.

I also do not mind dealers advertising in the Classifieds and in fact again, I welcome it. There are limits however. First, you must identify yourself as a dealer in your ad. Second, only advertise real deals. Genuine limited time offers that people would regret not knowing about. Do not "flood" the Classifieds with ads. A few good quality listings is better than sheer volume. As a rule a dealer should have no more than two ads in the Classifieds at any one time; if more are posted I may delete the oldest ones at my option. And do note that no ads stay up forever unless updated regularly. After 90 days any ad may be deleted. Again, at my option and I am not looking to be draconian but am pretty forgiving. I try to see what the intent is and work with that.

In particular, dealer ad listings for used detectors and demo units are most welcome. Offer the members of the forum real deals, and you will be appreciated.
      Dealers can be aggressive types but if so they will meet their match in me. I have very high standards for this forum and demand polite, informative discourse. Anyone wanting anything else, well, the internet is loaded with places that cater to everything else. Here, we stick to meat and potatoes. Advice from my 35 years in retail - talk about what you do that is good, not about what other dealer do or do not do. People do not like it when dealers talk others down.

This site will always put regular member interest first over dealer interests. Any member who has a problem with or objects to the behavior of any dealer on the forum, please PM me with your concerns. One person complaining that a dealer did them wrong may not sway me but on the other hand I do not want to support dealers in any way that do not make a habit of going above and beyond for their customers. Since this is all an experiment I am making up as I go you can bet I will be watching like a hawk and make adjustments in practices and policy going forward as I see fit.